Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Shock6822

"Must have" fantasy SP stash?

One thing that's helped me the past few years is stashing a pitcher who starts the year in the minors, gets a callup midseason or so, and pitches tremendously after the callup. Lincecum and Hanson come to mind in the last few years, and they were pegged absolutely correctly. Is there one 'must have guy' who's almost a sure bet to pitch solid once he's up? Or is there no real clearcut #1 SP prospect this year? Thanks in advance.

assuming he starts the year in the minors with the SD roster squeeze, mat latos fits the bill - he will dominante once he's up

Strasburg and Chapman

These two are the "must-haves" for this year. Friedrich is good too -- but not the ace that these two project to be. I may be jumping the gun a bit here, but guys to watch for NEXT year would be Martin Perez and Tyler Matzek. I might even throw Tanner Scheppers' name into the mix somewhere along the way, as I think he's going to have a Neftali Feliz-like impact this year (coming up as a reliever, and perhaps being moved into the rotation for 2011).

Deep dynasty leagues with minor leagues - Tigs Jacob Turner is a must have, and Casey Crosby could really surprise folks as soon as this season.

These two are the "must-haves" for this year. Friedrich is good too -- but not the ace that these two project to be. I may be jumping the gun a bit here, but guys to watch for NEXT year would be Martin Perez and Tyler Matzek. I might even throw Tanner Scheppers' name into the mix somewhere along the way, as I think he's going to have a Neftali Feliz-like impact this year (coming up as a reliever, and perhaps being moved into the rotation for 2011).

I see Strasburg and Chapman as the only clear-cut bench stashes for this season, figuring they will see significant time in the majors at some point this season and could make an impact right away. This is talking about re-draft mixed leagues in general. There are very few worth using a roster spot on with their ETA uncertain. But those two I see are obvious.

I really like Perez, he can have the impact that the aforementioned pitchers have, but he's not going to see time in the bigs until 2011...maybe a September cup of coffee this year. I can definitely see Scheppers getting a call-up in July as a reliever.

i don't think he is one right now, but i think with a hot start that hector rondon of the indians could become a 2nd tier must stash... if there is such a thing.

another one for this year is mike leake - he'll likely have his innings capped so don't know how much help he'll be in september but i wouldn't be surprised if he got the call anytime after may, so could help in june-july-august.......depends how he does in the minors but he shouldn't need much seasoning and should have a good impact when he arrives

I'll second Rondon as a guy to keep an eye on, but not a "must stash."

Brian Matusz is the must have rookie pitcher, but he'll start the season in the majors so he doesn't really fit the criteria.

i like parker as much as the next guy, but don't forget that he didn't have his tommy john surgery until october 28th last year even though he had stopped pitching in july i think it was. personally, i wouldn't expect on much from this guy till 2012, or the fall of 2011 at the earliest. you figure the 18 month time table puts him back at 100% exactly around april of 2011.

Jacob Mcgee

He looked back to his old form in spring training.

Jacob Mcgee

He looked back to his old form in spring training.

mcgee is likely going to be a bullpen arm

mcgee is likely going to be a bullpen arm

Even so he has closer stuff. I would not say he is bullpen bound just yet though.

Even so he has closer stuff. I would not say he is bullpen bound just yet though.

He's not yet, but if things fall into place. I still assume that if there is an injury early that Sonnanstine will be the first pitcher to move into the rotation, then it will be Jeremy Hellickson once we reach a certain point in the season. If the Rays get into the stretch run and need an impact left coming out of the bullpen (ala David Price in 08) then McGee will be that arm, assuming a healthy year. He is destined for the bullpen, but he should be a late-game reliever.

I assume he's going to start in AA again, where he will definitely be in the rotation. Assuming health and improvement in his walk rate, you could see him bumped up quickly. I do think if that happens they will move him to the bullpen.

You could go out and say that he is Tampa Bay's Scott Elbert. Maybe McGee will ride the Durham/Tampa express more than once this year.