Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

texasfan04

Sleeper Prospects 2010

Does anybody know of any minor leaguers who are not often discussed you think could develop into solid players? Obviously, these don't have to be players to pick in farm drafts and might do nothing. It's always interesting to hear some different names.

Here are a few names...

Robert Stock (C, Cardinals)--was a great player in HS who played well during his first year in the Cardinals organization.

Kendal Volz (P, Red Sox)--a reliever who pitched really well for Team USA, but fell in the draft because of a disappointing junior season.

Destin Hood (OF, Nationals)--athletic outfielder from Alabama...a good speed/power combination.

Yadel Marti (P, ?????)--defected from Cuba last year, but is yet to signed. He is an older prospect (about 26) who has been one of Cuba's best pitchers for 3/4 seasons. He is not a traditional prospect (awkward delivery, velocity reported anywhere from high-80's to 96), and I am not sure whether the failure to sign is due to contract demands or lack of interest.

adrian salcedo has a chance to be pretty good.

Alex Colome

Chad James

Jake Odorizzi

Nick Barnese

adam ottavino of the cards.

larussa recently said that he has been very impressed with this kid, and that he wants to give him a shot in the bullpen. he is a bit older, already 24, but with his new delivery he could provide some cheap value in holds leagues and might be able to bump up to a k per inning out of the pen.

This is good stuff. The Rangers got a steal getting Profar for under $1 million. Wilmer Font, a pitcher, is another player the Rangers signed from Latin America who I can see moving up the prospect lists.

Grichuck/Heathcott were the two best high school hitters in Texas last season. Matt Purke/Shelby Miller got the majority of the attention last year, but it wouldn’t surprise me to see both those hitters have awesome careers.

There are two young guys the Red Sox picked up last season—Raymond Fuentes and David Renfroe—who I’m looking forward to watching in their first season. Fuentes is Carlos Beltran’s cousin from Puerto Rico who Boston drafted in the late first round. Renfroe was not drafted until the third round, but the Red Sox surprised everyone by signing him away from Ole Miss. He is supposed to be a terrific player, but they aren't sure whether he is going to pitch or play third.

For those of us in dynasty leagues with deep MiLB drafts....who can you recommend as possible power bats of the future?

Looking for guys you predict will be hitting 30 HR anually in the MLB 5-6 years from now and they are currently flying under the radar for the most part.

Speaking to the specific issue of power, I might take a look at the likes of Brennan Boesch (OF, DET) or Paul Goldschmidt (1B, ARI). Boesch is getting old for a prospect, but he packs a lot of pop & he could see some MLB time soon as a corner OF. Goldschmidt had a solid debut, so I look forward to tracking his progress.

chris marrero has lost a lot of buzz over the past couple years due to injuries, but if he can stay healthy the former 1st rounder has a big power future......so far so good this spring

Bobby Borchering, 3B ARI isn't getting a lot of attention but was the top HS bat in last year's amateur draft

Wil Myers, C KC had fantastic numbers in short season ball after joining short season ball after last year's amateur draft

I think both could make big moves up prospect lists this year with good starts in the low minors

Although he isn't exactly under the radar, Miguel Sano, SS MIN was one of the top international signings last year and projects to plus power. Probably won't stick at SS so don't get overly excited about his current position

I still think Wilmer Flores SS NYM is flying under the radar a bit. Didn't show much power last year but he was 17 years old playing at low A. His bat control should be enough to keep him on prospect lists. He also won't stick at SS and will probably move to either 3B or 1B

If you can draft college players, Anthony Rendon 3B Rice should be a top priority. There is speculation that he could be the #1 pick in the 2011 amateur draft

Anthony Rizzo

Ryan Wheeler

Peter Bourjos

Thomas Neal

Keep a close eye on Anthony Rizzo, he was diagnosed with non-Hodgkin's lymphoma a while back but is fully recovered. With Lars Anderson currently stumbling he could slide in and become the Red Sox 1B of the future.

For those of us in dynasty leagues with deep MiLB drafts....who can you recommend as possible power bats of the future?

Looking for guys you predict will be hitting 30 HR anually in the MLB 5-6 years from now and they are currently flying under the radar for the most part.

I am a fan of Bryce Brentz from Middle Tennessee St. He should go first round in 2010 and has the potential to be a really good hitter.

Jaff Decker usually shows up in the later part of top 100 lists, but he is a guy w/ good power potential.

Among really young players, Bryce Harper is obviously a great power prospect but I also like Travis Harrison from California. Harrison will take 4-5 years to reach the majors but he should be among the first few selections in 2011.

A guy to look for this year in really deep leagues is Rhyne Hughes. He is an older prospect who was acquired as a player to be named later. He showed promise and I could see Baltimore giving him a shot at some point this season, but he's only worth grabbing as a speculative midseason DL cover.

Bobby Borchering, 3B ARI isn't getting a lot of attention but was the top HS bat in last year's amateur draft

Wil Myers, C KC had fantastic numbers in short season ball after joining short season ball after last year's amateur draft

I think both could make big moves up prospect lists this year with good starts in the low minors

Although he isn't exactly under the radar, Miguel Sano, SS MIN was one of the top international signings last year and projects to plus power. Probably won't stick at SS so don't get overly excited about his current position

I still think Wilmer Flores SS NYM is flying under the radar a bit. Didn't show much power last year but he was 17 years old playing at low A. His bat control should be enough to keep him on prospect lists. He also won't stick at SS and will probably move to either 3B or 1B

If you can draft college players, Anthony Rendon 3B Rice should be a top priority. There is speculation that he could be the #1 pick in the 2011 amateur draft

If you can take college players and are looking for power, I'd start with the guy who should be the #1 pick this year, Bryce Harper. Dude has sick power!

Edit: Oops, didn't see texasfan04's comment at the end of the page, but I still agree!

If you can take college players and are looking for power, I'd start with the guy who should be the #1 pick this year, Bryce Harper. Dude has sick power!

I didn't include Harper because I don't consider him a sleeper. Everybody who follows amateur/minor league ball already knows about him.

I didn't include Harper because I don't consider him a sleeper. Everybody who follows amateur/minor league ball already knows about him.

Fair enough.

Anthony Rizzo

Ryan Wheeler

Peter Bourjos

Thomas Neal

i picked up wheeler in my dynasty league and am hoping to see him continue to hit.

Sickels had high praise for Wheeler. I thought about nabbing him in my dynasty league with one of my last picks, but with my roster, I decided to hold off on a 1B prospect and went with another pitching prospect.

Here are two from the Brewers….

Kentrail Davis (OF)—Davis was drafted last season as a sophomore by the Brewers in the second round. He began the season projected as a top 10 pick before falling into round 2 after a mediocre performance. His build sorta reminds me of Kirby Puckett in that he's deceptively athletic for a player whose 5'9 and 220 lbs. Obviously, the odds of Davis comparing to Puckett baseball-wise are pretty slim, but he's worth watching.

Cody Scarpetta (P)—Scarpetta was projected as a high draft pick in '07 before he got injured, knocking him into the 11th round. He finally returned from injury in '09, and pitched really well in A-ball, posting an ERA below 3.50 and a solid K/IP ratio. When healthy, he was throwing mid-90's with a plus curveball. If Scarpetta still has his velocity, I think he's an unerrated prospect.

A player worth buying for $1 this season in deep leagues is Joaquin Arias from the Texas Rangers. With Kinsler starting the season on the DL, he should make the rosters and split time with Andres Blanco at second base.

Arias has great speed and should hit for a decent average.

tommy joseph c sf

guillermo pimentel of sea

brandon jacobs of bos

madison younginer p bos

david renfroe ss bos

rymer liriano of sd

miguel velazquez of tex

roman mendez p bos

dae eun rhee p chc

richard alvarez p tex

robinson lopez p atl

daniel fields ss det

donnie veal p pit

zach vonrosenburg p pit

trayce thompson of chw

jonathan singleton 1b phi

Here are two from the Brewers….

Kentrail Davis (OF)—Davis was drafted last season as a sophomore by the Brewers in the second round. He began the season projected as a top 10 pick before falling into round 2 after a mediocre performance. His build sorta reminds me of Kirby Puckett in that he's deceptively athletic for a player whose 5'9 and 220 lbs. Obviously, the odds of Davis comparing to Puckett baseball-wise are pretty slim, but he's worth watching.

Cody Scarpetta (P)—Scarpetta was projected as a high draft pick in '07 before he got injured, knocking him into the 11th round. He finally returned from injury in '09, and pitched really well in A-ball, posting an ERA below 3.50 and a solid K/IP ratio. When healthy, he was throwing mid-90's with a plus curveball. If Scarpetta still has his velocity, I think he's an unerrated prospect.

Scarpetta has been on my radar for the past year and a half. He's definitely a nice sleeper. I'll keep an eye on Davis. Thanks!

I am a fan of Bryce Brentz from Middle Tennessee St. He should go first round in 2010 and has the potential to be a really good hitter.

Jaff Decker usually shows up in the later part of top 100 lists, but he is a guy w/ good power potential.

Among really young players, Bryce Harper is obviously a great power prospect but I also like Travis Harrison from California. Harrison will take 4-5 years to reach the majors but he should be among the first few selections in 2011.

A guy to look for this year in really deep leagues is Rhyne Hughes. He is an older prospect who was acquired as a player to be named later. He showed promise and I could see Baltimore giving him a shot at some point this season, but he's only worth grabbing as a speculative midseason DL cover.

FYI on brentz

http://www.baseballamerica.com/blog/college/?p=2969