Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

cogpk

Ref's betting scam...

I was reading about the FBI probe into an NBA ref's betting scam and it occured to me that it also cost fantasy teams. Should we sue?????

Here's the story in case you havent heard:ref's betting scam

Tim Donahey (sp) was the ref...anyone with a pic of this idiot?

referee.jpg

he even looks like a prick. if he's convicted i smell a class action lawsuit spearheaded by sports betters and fantasy guys

Ur gonna hafta move this but at least let it catch on some in here cause nobody is ever in the basketball forum and this one is sick................just for alittle while.........thanks

"The FBI is investigating allegations that veteran NBA referee Tim Donaghy bet on basketball games over the past two seasons, including ones in which he officiated.

A law enforcement official told the AP that authorities are examining whether the referee made calls to affect the point spread in games on which he or associates had wagered. The FBI probe also involves allegations that the referee had connections to organized crime associates. If Donaghy did bet on basketball games in which he officiated, it would be a huge black mark against the NBA. Jul. 20 - 4:59 pm et"

-Rotoworld

Maybe now the Mavs can get their trophy from D-Wade...I mean, the Heat for '05.

Stern gets pseudo-fired for this, guaranteed.

yeah that sounds like a mess and should be interesting to see how it sorts out

the ramifications of this are insane................this is the first time iver ever heard of anything like this too.

Maybe now the Mavs can get their trophy from D-Wade...I mean, the Heat for '05.

Stern gets pseudo-fired for this, guaranteed.

How would this be Stern's fault, exactly?

How would this be Stern's fault, exactly?

he is the commish. it dont matter if it his fault or not. he is suppose to be the warden of the nba. and it does not reflect on him in a positive manner at all.

i wouldnt doubt one bit if that ref gets wacked. it will be interesting to see what shakes out

referee.jpg

he even looks like a prick. if he's convicted i smell a class action lawsuit spearheaded by sports betters and fantasy guys

interesting idea...that could be huge

Its not Sterns fault, the refs have their own union. This will now forever call into question someone making a call in a big situation and will be the pun of like a million jokes that we will all be sick of hearing over n over. This is big man............like steroids investigation big. I wonder how they found out?!?!?!?!

Its not Sterns fault, the refs have their own union. This will now forever call into question someone making a call in a big situation and will be the pun of like a million jokes that we will all be sick of hearing over n over. This is big man............like steroids investigation big. I wonder how they found out?!?!?!?!

in the article they said they found out when they were investigating some mobsters. this story must have been thrown around while they were investigating them mobsters

Is there any indication he bet on games that he was reffing? If not, who really cares. Unless other refs are co-bettors. Man, Uncle Sam needs to realize people are gonna gamble. Legalize it, and reap the tax rewards already!!

This whole thing is crazy! Pete Rose at least bet ON his team. A ref can't have a rooting interest in a game. I haven't seen anything saying he bet specifically on the games he was officiating but even if there was one other ref betting games then you have to figure they may have been in cahoots. It should be interesting to see what comes of this.

its crazy to think that these guy(s) coulda really muffed things for soooooo many people, its just crazy how far this thing goes.

It's also pretty much impossible that the other refs in Timmy's weren't aware that point shaving was going on. Will the other refs get in trouble or will the NBA turn a blind eye?

even if he made certain calls to shave points how are they gonna prove that? if he doesnt admit anything i cant see how they can. he can just say that he made a bad call.

even if he made certain calls to shave points how are they gonna prove that? if he doesnt admit anything i cant see how they can. he can just say that he made a bad call.

Remember that Donaghy's name was uncovered as a result of a long-running organized crime investigation. The mob was the focus, not Donaghy. This is total speculation, but I imagine evidence could possibly include recorded phone calls & a paper trail. But it's speculation based on previous mob busts.

NBC has an article about how his calling of games stacks up to others in the NBA (article here). Here's an excerpt about the "whistle happy" ref:

The New York Post reported that Donaghy and his crew led the NBA in calling technical fouls; ranked fourth in blowing personal fouls; was third in ordering free-throws, and stood at second for fouling-out players for the 2006-2007 season, according to Stats LLC, a sports-statistics company.