Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Travis Burten

Steven Strasburg SP WAS

I your league allows you to draft players who arein college and high school like mine does, then get this guy. I recently traded for the 2nd overall pick in my Prospect Draft next year and hoping to draft this guy. If he were in the majors right now, I'd say he's probably the best pitching prospect in the game and at worse a top 2.

I your league allows you to draft players who arein college and high school like mine does, then get this guy. I recently traded for the 2nd overall pick in my Prospect Draft next year and hoping to draft this guy. If he were in the majors right now, I'd say he's probably the best pitching prospect in the game and at worse a top 2.

That's not true at all. He'd be a very good prospect, but he has done his pitching against some pretty weak college teams. The Mountain West Conference isn't anything special. It's not like he's done this is the SEC or the Big12 etc. I definitely don't think he's a lock for the #1 pick in '09 yet. No clear 3rd pitch yet to go along with the fastball and killer slider. He'll probably go #1 (definitely top 3), but it's a little early.

I'm not saying he isn't a GREAT prospect, but he wouldn't just jump into MiLB and be the #1 pitching prospect (lack of track record mostly).

But yeah, if you can get him with the #2 pick in your draft, you've received a pretty damn good present. Good luck.

Yes, but there is very little denying his stuff. By the time he gets drafted, I'm pretty sure Kershaw and Buchholz will have lost their prospect status and only Price will be the big pitching prospect in the minors along with Cahill. His stuff blows away Cahill's, but Price is more advanced then him because he does have a 3rd pitch. However, there's no reason to think Strasburg can't develop his changeup more to go along with his high 90's fastball and nasty slider. Though I agree, he hasn't faced great competition.

Yes, but there is very little denying his stuff. By the time he gets drafted, I'm pretty sure Kershaw and Buchholz will have lost their prospect status and only Price will be the big pitching prospect in the minors along with Cahill. His stuff blows away Cahill's, but Price is more advanced then him because he does have a 3rd pitch. However, there's no reason to think Strasburg can't develop his changeup more to go along with his high 90's fastball and nasty slider. Though I agree, he hasn't faced great competition.

Oh absolutely, but I'm sure some guys like Porcello, Bumgarner, Hellickson, Parker etc will gain top pitching prospect status also. You can't just think that when Buchholz and Kershaw are out of the minors that there will only be one or two stud pitching prospects, they will arise.

Bumgarner will probably be in High A, Hellickson is good but doesn't have the #1 ceiling, and my bad I forgot about Parker and Porcello.

Bumgarner will probably be in High A, Hellickson is good but doesn't have the #1 ceiling, and my bad I forgot about Parker and Porcello.

Yeah, I don't even know why I mentioned Hellickson with those other guys...I tried to edit it but I couldn't haha

Strasburg won't even be a top 10 pitcher in the minors next year. There are plenty of guys who are flashing great potential who supersede what Strasburg has done against mid-level college competition. Strasburg really needs to put in a full season in the minors before he can be considered a top 10, let alone a #1, pitching prospect. Keep in mind, I just traded Ryan Doumit and Rich Hill for him to the team who is hot on my heels in my league, so I LOVE him, but let's not get all nerdy about him just yet! B)

Y'know, I finally saw him pitch on video a couple of weeks back, and the slider wasn't that killer, it just looked more like his competition was *nowhere* near his level. And since we're not talking a powerhouse division, I didn't come away as impressed as all the prospect sites have been.

But, to be fair, I've only seen him once now, and he might have had his B stuff. The concerns of not having a 3rd pitch are legitimate - I only saw 2 pitches, except for a show-me curve. That's definitely something that's going to need to be addressed if he wants to be a legitimate ace prospect, and since he'll be 21 next year, unlike the HS guys who've come out & dominated with 2 pitches early in their career (Kershaw being a good example), it doesn't put him in the top 10 IMO either. Now, 21-22 is still incredibly young, and there's *plenty* of time to develop, but it also means unlike the HS 18 year-olds, the timeframe is more compressed for *elite* level pitching.

It's obvious, but next year is going to be crucial - let's see how he does under the microscope with the #1 label - that will be a good test, and the development of his secondary pitches will be even more telling. A stud prospect to be sure, but his level of competition would barely match up with low-A (unlike major Division I, which I equate to high A ball when elite teams are playing), so the hype machine is definitely partly responsible for the pub so far.

Yes, but be sure to not underestimate the power of a MiLB program to help him with those secondary offerings. I know it seems I'm vacillating, or perhaps, just being devil's advocate on every post, but while I think the hype needs to be calmed down, what he does have is very good, and with an instinct to learn, he'll likely do just fine once he's in a program in terms of a third pitch. I watched that 23 (was it 23?) K game, and the movement on that slider was devastating.

Something just came to mind...What if the Mariners get this guy? I mean, as of now, i'd put them as the favorites to be the worst team come October 1st. The Nationals look to be putting the jets on as of late, at least more then the Mariners (save Ibanez).

Picture this for a moment.

Day 1: Felix Hernandez

Day 2: Eric Bedard

Day 3: Brandon Morrow

Day 4: Phillipe Aumont

Day 5: Stephen Strasburg

OMG.

Imagine that, with JJ Putz and Josh Fields for the 8th-9th, in let's say....2011. Strasburg seems like he shouldn't take that long in the minors, but Aumont's a different story. He probably won't be ready until 2011 at the earliest. He's very raw, and i think he just started pitching when he was 15?

Add in that Safeco Park is a pitchers park (?), and all i gotta say is...Let's hope they can get some kind of offence.

Of course, there's so many things that could go wrong with this picture, like with Eric Bedard. Will he ever actually be motivated to pitch for the M's, or any MLB club for that matter? Or with Brandon Morrow. Will he make a succesful switch back to a starting role? Or with Phillipe Aumont? He's basically riding the coat tails of potential right now, and has already experienced minor arm problems.

Then, there's always the biggest fallacy of this little thought. The Mariners could always end up with the top pick, but choose to spend it stupidly (again).

Personally, as a future Strasburg owner (unless someone else from that draft class emerges better), i don't know what to say. I'd be in favor of him going to a pitchers park, and having 4 other aces in a rotation with him. But on the other hand, the Mariners seem like they don't have a clue on how to handle prospects (or veterans, for that matter).

BTW, i also own Bedard and Felix in a seperate dynasty (with Clement and Wladdy), and in the same one i potentially own Strasburg, i also got Morrow and Aumont on the pitching side, with Clement and Mangini on the hitting side. I definetly have a lot invested in those dang Mariners, but it came pretty cheaply (Clement for CJ Wilson last offseason, for example).

Just some food for thought.

Ah, I didn't know there was already a thread on the kid. Damn.

I watched him recently. He is real.

I don't care what competition he is facing. You can't teach 98 and you can't teach that slider.

When I watched, that slider broke so much it was dropping out of the zone. He threw something else that he had better control with. I thought it was a curve as it was between 79-81, but it had late lateral movement. He was much better throwing that for strikes than the slider. May have been a slurve or some other variation of his hard breaking slider. The hard breaking slider was clocking between 83-87.

He featured two different fastballs, a two-seamer and a four-seamer. One version was running up at 97-98, two-seamer was running tailing into righties at 91-93.

He won't spend much time in the minors. If/when he developes a changeup, he will be a lethal pitcher.

What I saw looked much better than Verlander to be honest in almost every way. (movement, slider, but no change yet)

Scary part, his mechanics look erily similar to Mark Prior's.

Damn. I may have to try and sell high on him, or at least see what the club that takes him does to him.

Czar, you know where I can see any recent video of him?

I don't care what competition he is facing. You can't teach 98 and you can't teach that slider.

Slider? I thought we agreed the other day to call it the "Straslider"? B)

Slider? I thought we agreed the other day to call it the "Straslider"? :lol:

I think I like "Strider" better. :)

Edit: We could call his heater the "Haveaseater." B)

I don't know if its been posted here or not (I think it was, not sure) but this is a video of him striking out 23 batters in a game.

http://www.gaslampball.com/2008/4/24/45990...sburg-23-k-vide

He seems to have some nice movement on his fastball, and his slider is just filthy, I mean Joba type filthy. I only saw these two pitches in the video, but this was like last year or the year before, not sure.

Anyway, if anyone hadn't seen him pitch, I just wanted to post the video to get a glimpse.

I don't know if its been posted here or not (I think it was, not sure) but this is a video of him striking out 23 batters in a game.

http://www.gaslampball.com/2008/4/24/45990...sburg-23-k-vide

He seems to have some nice movement on his fastball, and his slider is just filthy, I mean Joba type filthy. I only saw these two pitches in the video, but this was like last year or the year before, not sure.

Anyway, if anyone hadn't seen him pitch, I just wanted to post the video to get a glimpse.

Thanks. Wicked nasty stuff.

If anyone is up, turn on USA and check this kid out--he has a no-hitter through six (one BB, in the fifth) and is making this Dutch team look like scrubs. Pretty fantastic stuff, I'm definitely drafting this kid next spring.

If anyone is up, turn on USA and check this kid out--he has a no-hitter through six (one BB, in the fifth) and is making this Dutch team look like scrubs. Pretty fantastic stuff, I'm definitely drafting this kid next spring.

He's definitely someone I have had on my radar. I just don't want him to earn a lot of notoriety yet since he won't be draftable in my league until after he's drafted by a major league club.

Thanks. Wicked nasty stuff.

Yeah, and I just watched that game he pitched a couple days ago on that replay thing. Kid has filthy stuff. I know their sizes are different, but this kid looks a lot like Joba in the result of his pitches. A high 90's fastball that he can throw for strikes, and a flat out nasty slider that he can throw for strikes.

Assuming they suck for the rest of the year, the Mariners could have one of the best pitching staffs in the game in about 2 years with Felix, Morrow, Aumont, and Strasburg. I know looking ahead with prospects is a bad thing, but that can be one nasty staff right there.

Yeah, and I just watched that game he pitched a couple days ago on that replay thing. Kid has filthy stuff. I know their sizes are different, but this kid looks a lot like Joba in the result of his pitches. A high 90's fastball that he can throw for strikes, and a flat out nasty slider that he can throw for strikes.

Assuming they suck for the rest of the year, the Mariners could have one of the best pitching staffs in the game in about 2 years with Felix, Morrow, Aumont, and Strasburg. I know looking ahead with prospects is a bad thing, but that can be one nasty staff right there.

Guess I have to start pulling for the Mariners for awhile. Sounds sacreligious, in that I am an Angels fan, but the M's can't catch up and I want Strasburg to be drafted by an NL team. B)

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/larr...95_stone17.html

It's got some good quotes in relation to him from some of the finest scouts around, such as Keith Law and John Manuel.

The problem? The scouts say he reminds them of Mark Prior, and the 2 pictures do look eerily similar.

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/ABPub/200.../2008118842.jpg

http://imagecache2.allposters.com/images/p...ior-Posters.jpg

Though Prior's does look a bit harsher...

2010 most likely, but it is not impossible to see him September of 2009 if you ask me (I don't run the Nationals however).