Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Travis Burten

Steven Strasburg SP WAS

Everyone keeps on saying June. Does anyone know the exact date?
They are apparently targeting June 4th or 8th

why do we go through this every year? no one knows the date, all we know is early June, it is probably best to not quote dates because once that passes and no call up there is panic everywhere on these boards

Stephen Strasburg is expected to pitch six innings or throw between 85 to 100 pitches on Tuesday against the Triple-A Rochester.

Source: William Ladson

The news of the potential call up date was all I needed to get Josh Johnson for him.

Stephen Strasburg is expected to pitch six innings or throw between 85 to 100 pitches on Tuesday against the Triple-A Rochester.

Source: William Ladson

If he can average 9 pitches a inning we could see him pitch a CG perfect game.

I know May 28th thru May 30th (Nats play the Padres in San Diego during this time) would be good dates for him to pitch if it were up to him. Starting your first Major league game in your hometown would have to be sweet. How would this impact the Nationals if he gets called up during this time? I mean does it have to be June for the Nationals to save money?

I know May 28th thru May 30th (Nats play the Padres in San Diego during this time) would be good dates for him to pitch if it were up to him. Starting your first Major league game in your hometown would have to be sweet. How would this impact the Nationals if he gets called up during this time? I mean does it have to be June for the Nationals to save money?

whatever the Super 2 date happens to be, so it doesn't have to be in June, bbut chances are that date is in June and no one knows the date, so usually teams let a few extra days go by the estimated date to be safe

tick ... tick ... tick ...

LOL This thread is like 2 years old so I would hope everyone who could has already grabbed him.

May 28th would be long enough to eliminate "super-two" eligibility. I don't see this happening though, as WAS wants his debut to come at home and fill that stadium. Revenue baby!!! Also, MLB teams have routinely had better records at home in recent years, some being very dramatic differences from road records. Nat's executives certainly want to give Strasburg every advantage to get off to a good start in the bigs. It would be devastating to Strasburg and the Nats if he struggled after being called up. Of course, I think the chances he struggles in his first few starts to be VERY remote. His plus stuff, # of solid pitches, great control and good makeup, make it tough for me to see him struggling for more than 1-2 starts when he's healthy.

tick ... tick ... tick ...

LOL This thread is like 2 years old so I would hope everyone who could has already grabbed him.

Yep! When Bog speaks...I listen!

http://natsinsider.blogspot.com/2010/05/ma...s-schedule.html

ST. LOUIS -- Now that Drew Storen's big-league debut is out of the way, all eyes can shift to the other guy about to debut with the Nationals. (Who would have thought the spotlight would shift off Stephen Strasburg, if only for 24 hours?)

We've been outlining in detail the Strasburg Plan for some time now, but it is becoming clearer how this all is going to play out. Yesterday, MASN announced it will televise the right-hander's next two starts with Syracuse (tonight at Rochester, tape-delayed at 11:30 p.m., and May 23 against Toledo live at 5 p.m.).

So we know Strasburg is pitching at least twice more in the minors, and he won't get an extra day of rest between the two. The key will be when and where the next start after that takes place.

Syracuse has May 26 off but has a scheduled doubleheader the following day at Scranton/Wilkes-Barre. If Strasburg stays on a five-day schedule, he would pitch May 28, also at S/W-B. But what if the organization wants to give him one last home start at Syracuse? By bumping him back one more day, he could start May 29, still against Scranton/Wilkes-Barre but now in Syracuse.

That would then line up Strasburg to make his Nationals debut June 4 against the Reds, and also set him up to make his second big-league start June 10 against the Pirates. Both games would be at Nationals Park.

The only other realistic possibility would have Strasburg staying on a strict, five-day schedule. If he does that, he'd pitch May 28 at Scranton/Wilkes-Barre, then June 2 at Buffalo (both road starts). All of that would set him up to debut June 8 against the Pirates.

Of the two, the first scenario sure makes a lot more sense.

Mike Rizzo, of course, isn't spilling the beans just yet.

"I know in my mind what the development plan is for him," he said yesterday when asked about the guessing game going on in the media. "I have a window. I know when he's going to come up. But I don't scoff or laugh at the conjecture. I understand what you guys have to do. In this job, you're open for criticism, whether you do it now or you do it later. You either held him a month too long or put him a month too soon. I've got to look in the mirror, and I've got to develop him the way I believe he needs to be developed. That's why I'm the general manager of the team, because I have developed players in the past, and that's how I got the job. I feel comfortable with his developmental schedule. I think it's the right schedule, and I think it's best for him long-term."

Thru 6: 3hits, 2BB, 8K's, 0ER

86 pitches - 56 Strikes, 30 Balls

Target for Stephen Strasburg's Nationals debut appears to be mid June. The team has agreed to limit his big-league innings to about 100

Source: Jon Heyman

Target for Stephen Strasburg's Nationals debut appears to be mid June. The team has agreed to limit his big-league innings to about 100

Source: Jon Heyman

i think everyone knew this on opening day, no new news here

i think everyone knew this on opening day, no new news here

Agreed.

Heyman is just about next to useless and why outlets insist on publishing his redundant tweets are beyond me.

I can think of at least one poster in these forums who reminds me of this guy. Enough already.

Tomorrow a glowing yellow orb will seemingly appear out of nowhere, settling first upon the horizon and radiating warmth at dawn. Reports have called this mysterious source of energy "The Sun".

Source: John Heyman

Agreed.

Heyman is just about next to useless and why outlets insist on publishing his redundant tweets are beyond me.

I can think of at least one poster in these forums who reminds me of this guy. Enough already.

Noted -- Thought "mid-June" was interesting, since I have heard "early June." But, given the source, I guess it is useless, and "early June" is hopefully the real target.

Noted -- Thought "mid-June" was interesting, since I have heard "early June." But, given the source, I guess it is useless, and "early June" is hopefully the real target.

mid-june, early-june there is no difference really, they are all referring to relatively the same time frame, anywhere from Jun 5-15, and depending on the guy reporting they will either say early or mid

Really, SH, the issue at hand is that at the beginning of the season I could have asked you and you could have come within two weeks of giving the same answer as Heyman just did.

NOW- Think about that for a second.

That's basically the point.

And if one errs 7-14 days on either side it doesn't even matter when the guess was made.

I certainly meant no disrespect to you. If at this stage of the game you find that sort of -to me at any rate- fairly non-specific speculation helpful or of interest then I do not mean to insult you. I wasn't even sure you were posting it as a means of informing as in "Hey- Here's the most up to date info!" or expressing a kind of boredom as in "Yeah, we're pretty much in a holding pattern here."

So, sorry, sir. What I feel about Heyman as I feel about Klarabell and other writers I might bag on is not a reflection of what I feel about my fellow forum members. And often vice-versa. B)

No disrespect taken at all -- I am mostly bored with the holding pattern, completely agree with all of your points, and hope he comes up as soon as possible.....btw love seeing Syd B. in the avatar!

Try May 29th vs San Diego as a possibility due to Olsens injury. I iz excited!

the problem with that is i want to think they would like his first start to be at home so they can make some money. i know SD is his home town and great for San Diego, but really it has no benefit to WSH to have him make his first start iwhere he played college ball, i think they'll find someone to fill in and then work the schedule so that when Stras is called he is pitching in WSH

besides could you imagine the amount of extra pressure/distractions there would be if he made his debut in San Diego, he is already being hailed the next great thing and has been tearing it up in the minors now you call him up for his debut in the town where he made a name for himself, it is really a lose/lose situation for him if he debuts here, anything short of a CG with double digit strikeouts would be anti climatic, he certainly wouldn't get anyway with just doing a QS in his debut

the problem with that is i want to think they would like his first start to be at home so they can make some money. i know SD is his home town and great for San Diego, but really it has no benefit to WSH to have him make his first start iwhere he played college ball, i think they'll find someone to fill in and then work the schedule so that when Stras is called he is pitching in WSH

besides could you imagine the amount of extra pressure/distractions there would be if he made his debut in San Diego, he is already being hailed the next great thing and has been tearing it up in the minors now you call him up for his debut in the town where he made a name for himself, it is really a lose/lose situation for him if he debuts here, anything short of a CG with double digit strikeouts would be anti climatic, he certainly wouldn't get anyway with just doing a QS in his debut

they aren't going to make money when he finally does start at home? The Nationals don;t care where his first start is, fyi. He'll be selling out seats for 10 years.

they aren't going to make money when he finally does start at home? The Nationals don;t care where his first start is, fyi. He'll be selling out seats for 10 years.

i have to disagree with you on this one, i think the Washington Nationals most definitely want him to make his first start in Washington.

Try May 29th vs San Diego as a possibility due to Olsens injury. I iz excited!

If this does happen, I'm going to do my best to get tickets and go!