Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Harsh

Eminem - Recovery

I don't know how many people here like rap, but if you do, I'm sure you appreciate Shady's impact on the game.

Anyway, Relapse was a disappointment due to the overdone accent and weird beats, but it looks like vintage Eminem is back! This single just leaked and it's awesome.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KAtM6fUnDhQ

I don't know how many people here like rap, but if you do, I'm sure you appreciate Shady's impact on the game.

Anyway, Relapse was a disappointment due to the overdone accent and weird beats, but it looks like vintage Eminem is back! This single just leaked and it's awesome.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KAtM6fUnDhQ

Just heard it today for the first time (the single) and it's classic Em. I didn't even bother with Relpase, and Encore was a disgrace. This is coming from the man who listened to Eminem Show on repeat for about three years straight.

Good to see he ditched that crappy voice and got back to his roots. Look forward to it!

well i dont know what song that link was to b/c they took it down, but i heard em's first single off recovery called "not afraid" and im still pretty disappointed. i cant even begin to understand how almost everyone is saying "OMG HES BACK!!!!" after listening to the new song.....

first of all, i assume that most of the people saying that are not true eminem fans (people who worshipped infinite, sslp, mmlp, and the eminem show) and are just going with the crowd. maybe they are just younger guys who enjoy most new music.....

2nd, his flow (flow means like the way a rapper delivers his rhymes for all you non rap fans) on "not afraid" and almost all the songs off relapse is just terrible. am i the only one who thinks his flow sounds uncomfortable and awkward and sort of forced?

3rd, em needs to get that sick sense of humor back in his rhymes to win his true fans back. listen to a song like "brain damage", then listen to something off relapse. its not even close.

he may have some great rhymes in his new song, and it carries a good message, but its pretty hard for me to listen to him forcing out these rhymes in an uncomfortable delivery.....

nobody wants to like eminems new music more than i do. i was obsessed with the sslp and mmlp albums and still am. but i just cant bring myself to liking it.... i hate to say it, but hes not back.

He needs to have more features on this cd.

He's been real good on other peoples like B.o.b and Wayne just to name some to come to mind.

Also his freestyle song with the Big Ben stuff in it was pretty good I'll be looking forward to this cd.

well i dont know what song that link was to b/c they took it down, but i heard em's first single off recovery called "not afraid" and im still pretty disappointed. i cant even begin to understand how almost everyone is saying "OMG HES BACK!!!!" after listening to the new song.....

first of all, i assume that most of the people saying that are not true eminem fans (people who worshipped infinite, sslp, mmlp, and the eminem show) and are just going with the crowd. maybe they are just younger guys who enjoy most new music.....

2nd, his flow (flow means like the way a rapper delivers his rhymes for all you non rap fans) on "not afraid" and almost all the songs off relapse is just terrible. am i the only one who thinks his flow sounds uncomfortable and awkward and sort of forced?

3rd, em needs to get that sick sense of humor back in his rhymes to win his true fans back. listen to a song like "brain damage", then listen to something off relapse. its not even close.

he may have some great rhymes in his new song, and it carries a good message, but its pretty hard for me to listen to him forcing out these rhymes in an uncomfortable delivery.....

nobody wants to like eminems new music more than i do. i was obsessed with the sslp and mmlp albums and still am. but i just cant bring myself to liking it.... i hate to say it, but hes not back.

I don't understand how you can judge someone as being a true fan when all they did was listen to several multi-platinum albums. Isn't that the definition of going with whoever's popular? You do make a good point about Infinite, though. Anyway, to address your points:

His flow has always been this way; the only difference I gleaned was the fact that he didn't word twist nearly as much, which means the syllables weren't stressed, there were few accents. It didn't sound uncomfortable or awkward to me, but I got the feeling that he tried stretching out some sentences without stressing certain words. His flow is always much better on faster beats (I still can't get over how bad he crushed Jay-Z on Renegade or how sick his flow was in Bad Meets Evil). Apart from that, no, I don't think it's awkward. All his songs where he doesn't assume his alter ego usually deal with songs that are slower and don't have as much word twisting. When he pretends to be Shady (Real Slim Shady, Brain Damage, etc.), then yeah, he develops a more stressed flow because of the way his delivery changes.

The sick sense of humor was omnipresent in Relapse. In fact, the only reason you probably didn't catch on was because of the accent. The lyrics and punch were as good as ever. If you listen to some of the bonus tracks like Be Careful What You Wish For or My Darling, then the sick sense of humor is more evident because of his "Shady" voice. If you listen to tracks like 3 A.M. or Underground, he just goes all out but the accent is gay (he admits in Not Afraid that he "ran the accent into the ground" or something like that).

As for him carrying good messages: he rarely does that. Beautiful, Lose Yourself, Not Afraid are the only songs where he really directly speaks to the audience to cheer them up.

Then again, it's all a matter of perspective. I think his flow and delivery and rhymes and word twisting are fine, and I really like the fact that he can integrate complex rhyme schemes into any beat. You're probably just one of the guys that likes him as Shady instead of as Eminem. When he's Shady, he's a sick ****. When he's Eminem, he's more personal.

He needs to have more features on this cd.

He's been real good on other peoples like B.o.b and Wayne just to name some to come to mind.

Also his freestyle song with the Big Ben stuff in it was pretty good I'll be looking forward to this cd.

Yeah, Despicable was great. No one else should ever try to rap on either of those beats, he murdered it.

He actually has a good amount of features on this album: Drake, 50 (sucks), D12, Royce Da 5'9"" (I really hope they make BME Part 2!!), Cashis, Banks, Dr. Dre are all confirmed.

Here's the thing though. Musicians or artists to not like to be "back". Artists want to progress along and advance to new stages.

So I don't think you'll be seeing "old" Em anymore, because that's exactly what it is. Old Em.

And Harsh I forgot about Renegade. What a song.

Truthfully, I just don't think his beats and tracks have been as good as they were. Maybe it's just me, but I only enjoyed We're Back and No Apologies from Re-Up. Didn't like Relapse.

SSLP, MMLP, and Em Show were just untouchable.

Oh, and he may not be back, but Not Afraid was vintage Em.

Here's the thing though. Musicians or artists to not like to be "back". Artists want to progress along and advance to new stages.

So I don't think you'll be seeing "old" Em anymore, because that's exactly what it is. Old Em.

And Harsh I forgot about Renegade. What a song.

Truthfully, I just don't think his beats and tracks have been as good as they were. Maybe it's just me, but I only enjoyed We're Back and No Apologies from Re-Up. Didn't like Relapse.

SSLP, MMLP, and Em Show were just untouchable.

Oh, and he may not be back, but Not Afraid was vintage Em.

you're probably right with your first point, but idk if eminem wants that. he keeps rapping about how hes back (for example in not afraid "to the fans im back, ill never let you down again") so i think he does want to go back to his 97-02 style.

and i agree with you when u say the beats just havnt been as good. i think its because hes stopped workign with the bass brothers after the eminem show. the sslp, mmlp, and eminem show each had 11, 6, and 5 songs respectively produced by the bass brothers. they didnt produce a single song off encore and relapse. the bass bros and eminem were meant for each other, and have got to start workign together again if em is to win his old fans back.....

I don't understand how you can judge someone as being a true fan when all they did was listen to several multi-platinum albums. Isn't that the definition of going with whoever's popular? You do make a good point about Infinite, though. Anyway, to address your points:

His flow has always been this way; the only difference I gleaned was the fact that he didn't word twist nearly as much, which means the syllables weren't stressed, there were few accents. It didn't sound uncomfortable or awkward to me, but I got the feeling that he tried stretching out some sentences without stressing certain words. His flow is always much better on faster beats (I still can't get over how bad he crushed Jay-Z on Renegade or how sick his flow was in Bad Meets Evil). Apart from that, no, I don't think it's awkward. All his songs where he doesn't assume his alter ego usually deal with songs that are slower and don't have as much word twisting. When he pretends to be Shady (Real Slim Shady, Brain Damage, etc.), then yeah, he develops a more stressed flow because of the way his delivery changes.

The sick sense of humor was omnipresent in Relapse. In fact, the only reason you probably didn't catch on was because of the accent. The lyrics and punch were as good as ever. If you listen to some of the bonus tracks like Be Careful What You Wish For or My Darling, then the sick sense of humor is more evident because of his "Shady" voice. If you listen to tracks like 3 A.M. or Underground, he just goes all out but the accent is gay (he admits in Not Afraid that he "ran the accent into the ground" or something like that).

As for him carrying good messages: he rarely does that. Beautiful, Lose Yourself, Not Afraid are the only songs where he really directly speaks to the audience to cheer them up.

Then again, it's all a matter of perspective. I think his flow and delivery and rhymes and word twisting are fine, and I really like the fact that he can integrate complex rhyme schemes into any beat. You're probably just one of the guys that likes him as Shady instead of as Eminem. When he's Shady, he's a sick ****. When he's Eminem, he's more personal.

maybe youre right about me liking his shady persona better, but what about the mmlp? he wasn't in his shady persona on that album outside maybe a song or 2, and thats probably his best overall album....

anyway, i dont think its just me thinking that his rhymes sound forced on 'not afraid' and 'despicable' and most of his more recent stuff. his verse on drakes 'forever' is forced to the extreme, but i think most people already know em was awful on that song.... i've spoken to others who were addicted to sslp and mmlp and they agree that his flow sounds unnatural and awkward compared to his older stuff.

Yeah, Despicable was great. No one else should ever try to rap on either of those beats, he murdered it.

He actually has a good amount of features on this album: Drake, 50 (sucks), D12, Royce Da 5'9"" (I really hope they make BME Part 2!!), Cashis, Banks, Dr. Dre are all confirmed.

I saw that today looked it kinda curious who was on it so far also Lil Wayne will be on...Guess he sent his verse from jail or something.

Excited to hear his song with Drake big fan of him right now.

Also seeing Dre on there and Royce is also nice.

maybe youre right about me liking his shady persona better, but what about the mmlp? he wasn't in his shady persona on that album outside maybe a song or 2, and thats probably his best overall album....

anyway, i dont think its just me thinking that his rhymes sound forced on 'not afraid' and 'despicable' and most of his more recent stuff. his verse on drakes 'forever' is forced to the extreme, but i think most people already know em was awful on that song.... i've spoken to others who were addicted to sslp and mmlp and they agree that his flow sounds unnatural and awkward compared to his older stuff.

B)

He had the best verse by far on that song. Weezy sucked, Drake had some good puns, Kanye made stupid rhymes.

On MMLP, I'd say about 6 of the songs were done with the Shady persona. The other 7 or 8 had Eminem deliver in the same way that he rapped in Not Afraid. I want you to listen to "The Way I Am" and then listen to "Not Afraid." The technique is the same.

B)

He had the best verse by far on that song. Weezy sucked, Drake had some good puns, Kanye made stupid rhymes.

On MMLP, I'd say about 6 of the songs were done with the Shady persona. The other 7 or 8 had Eminem deliver in the same way that he rapped in Not Afraid. I want you to listen to "The Way I Am" and then listen to "Not Afraid." The technique is the same.

+1 his verse was prolly the best on forever.

B)

i see the resemblance in his delivery in the songs, but em's delivery is a perfect match for dre's beat in "the way i am"

i see the resemblance in his delivery in the songs, but em's delivery is a perfect match for dre's beat in "the way i am"

The Way I Am is definitely one of his best delivered songs. Classic.

Some of my favorites personally are lyrically with deliverance (running down the iPod):

Way I Am

Crazy in Love (One of very few good songs off Encore)

Rabbit Run

Ok I'll stop now because essentially they are all really good. Encore blows. Encore/Curtains up with Dre and 50 was awesome. Mosh was good. Crazy in Love was good. Let me try favorite specific lyrics...

What school did I go to, what hood I grew up in

The why, the who what when, the where, and the how

'til I'm grabbin my hair and I'm tearin it out

-The Way I Am

My thoughts are sporadic, I act like I’m an addict

I rap like I’m addicted to smack like I’m Kim Mathers.

But I don’t want to go forth and back in constant battles

The fact is I would rather sit back and bomb some rappers.

So this is like a full blown attack I’m launching at them

The track is on some battling raps who want some static

Cause I don’t really think that the fact that I’m Slim matters

A plaque of platinum status is whack if I'm not the baddest.

-Till I Collapse

Ok I'm going to stop because I can make this a really long post because his lyrics are just amazing, but I wanted to point out about his "uplifting songs" or soft songs. Those are some of my favorites by him.

Sing for the Moment, Hailie's Song, No Apologies, White America, My Dad's Gone Crazy, Superman

All some of my favorite songs of his

New music or not, I friggin love this song to no end:

New music or not, I friggin love this song to no end:

Wow, I completely forgot about this song.

"Everytime you hear the sound of my voice...."

Why thank you BoSox.

"Yea, Slim Shady made me, but tonight, Slim Shadys Rocka by baby"

Yessss

Old Eminem was ridiculous.

Most of the songs Kanter mentioned are his top productions.

I love most of his collaborations as well.

His verse in "Patiently Waiting" is awesome. Same with "Renegade"...

His verse in "Patiently Waiting" is awesome. Same with "Renegade"...

You've been patiently waiting

To make it through all the hate

Debating whether or not

You can even weather the storm

As you lay on the table

They operating to save you

It's like a Angel came to you

Sent from the heavens above

I mean that's just the start of it and the whole verse, like you said, is off the chart. But when you hear the beeps and you know Em is building up, you just get so pumped.

You've been patiently waiting

To make it through all the hate

Debating whether or not

You can even weather the storm

As you lay on the table

They operating to save you

It's like a Angel came to you

Sent from the heavens above

I mean that's just the start of it and the whole verse, like you said, is off the chart. But when you hear the beeps and you know Em is building up, you just get so pumped.

HELL YEAH! I used to get so AMPED up listening to that song.

HELL YEAH! I used to get so AMPED up listening to that song.

So, so good. I listened to it after you mentioned it after not listening for a year or even more. Was able to recite every line and man, what a rush.

Soldier is also ridiculous song.

so ticky-tock listen as the sound ticks on the clock,

listen to the sound of Kim as she licks on a c-ck,

listen to the sound of me spillin' my heart through this pen,

motherf--ers know that i'll never be Marshall again,

full of controversy until I retire my jersey,

'til the fire inside dies and expires at thirty, and

Lord have mercy on any more of these rappers that verse me,

and put a curse on authorities in the face of adversity, i'm a...

Wow, totally forgot about Solider...another hot track. Will definitely load my old Em music tonight...looking forward to it.

So, so good. I listened to it after you mentioned it after not listening for a year or even more. Was able to recite every line and man, what a rush.

Soldier is also ridiculous song.

Classic song one of my favorite songs on the album my other song I would put right up there Till I Collapse.

Classic song one of my favorite songs on the album my other song I would put right up there Till I Collapse.

One of my top 5 songs by Em

Here's two unreleased Eminem songs:

Eminem ft. Cashis - Atlanta on Fire: http://www.thisis50.com/forum/topics/exclu...source=activity

Eminem ft. Stat Quo - Classic Sh.it: http://www.thisis50.com/forum/topics/anoth...source=activity

Both are pretty decent; I like the beat on the first one. Kind of reminds me of P.I.M.P. Em's verses are awesome, though.