Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

NoGimmicks

Mike Trout OF LAA

18 years old, So far hitting .366/.434/.505, with 13 steals in 16 attempts and one homer, in 93 AB's for Low-A

Today, hit his second homer and is 1-3

May not develop a lot of power but he's a speedster and a solid hitter, if he develops more power he could be a really good fantasy player

Thoughts?

I love this guy by the way. A sure-fire top-10 prospect going into next year, no question. Only question with him will be how much power he develops. If he does in fact develop 20+ HR power, he'll be a perennial all-star.

I am in two dynasty leagues and am trying to resist the temptation of grabbing him now since he's likely 2+ years away from contributing.

I love this guy by the way. A sure-fire top-10 prospect going into next year, no question. Only question with him will be how much power he develops. If he does in fact develop 20+ HR power, he'll be a perennial all-star.

I am in two dynasty leagues and am trying to resist the temptation of grabbing him now since he's likely 2+ years away from contributing.

If you're so positive he'll be a top 10 prospect going into next year, I'd suggest you pick him up right now. He'll be top 25-30 for sure, but top 10 is a stretch for me.

He has top 10 potential, but that's going too far. Let's just see how he does once he gets promoted, which might come soon

He has top 10 potential, but that's going too far. Let's just see how he does once he gets promoted, which might come soon

I drafted him this year in our minor league draft!!! so excited!

I fully expect him to be called up to High A Rancho by the end of this month. He just continues to tear it up in the Midwest League

He now has a .365/.443/.560 triple slash line after today's game, which included him hitting his 6th hr. Also has 28 SB's in 32 attempts

Subtitle says he's with LAD...he's an Angels prospect, as far as I know.

Hidden

I know for sure I didn't put that there, so you can blame the mods

He is definately with the Angels. Mike is from my hometown. His Dad, Jeff, played in the Twins farm system making it to AAA before knee injuries finally made him walk away from the game. I think Jeff still holds some hitting records at the University of Delaware. Jeff was the head coach of our high school baseball team until he stepped aside so he could be more involved with his own kids activities.

Mike is a great kid with an outstanding attitude with an outstanding support system. He looked like he put on 10-15 lbs of muscle while home this summer. Since he is still only 18, I don't think he is even close to his final physical package. Just to give you an idea of his makeup - he bought a new pickup truck when he signed his contract. If Mike doesn't succeed it will be because of an injury , not because of attitude or lack of skill. He was groomed to do what he is doing now and seems to love every minute of it.

Time to revisit this argument. Was hoping Trout would be promoted by now to see how he performs at higher levels, but he continues to rake low-A pitching. I still think this guy is a top-10 prospect, which is a function of both his skill level and the amount of top-tier minor leaguers already having been called up. With Heyward, Strasburg, Stanton, Alvarez, Starlin, etc. out of the way, are there really 10+ prospects that you would rather have at this moment than Trout?

I'd say Des Jennings, Dom Brown, Jesus Montero, Ackley & Bryce Harper are locks, but then we're down to guys like Hellickson, Teheran, Moustakas, Martin Perez, etc. I suppose it's a matter of opinion here, whether you value the higher ceiling vs. a proven commodity at higher levels...but for me, Trout is at least in the discussion of top-10.

You aren't the only one who probably thinks that. I think a few weeks ago, Keith Law had him as his #14 prospect in all of baseball, and said that by seasons end there is a good chance he'll be in his top 10. If he gets promoted, and I think he will eventually, and he continues to rake at High A, then I'd say its a lock he is in the top 10. He's definitely top 20 right now IMO

You aren't the only one who probably thinks that. I think a few weeks ago, Keith Law had him as his #14 prospect in all of baseball, and said that by seasons end there is a good chance he'll be in his top 10. If he gets promoted, and I think he will eventually, and he continues to rake at High A, then I'd say its a lock he is in the top 10. He's definitely top 20 right now IMO

Keith Law moved Trout to #3 on June 29th.

http://insider.espn.go.com/mlb/insider/col...&id=5338763

With Dom Brown graduating to the majors, this guy is now arguably the top prospect in all of MLB. Time to start giving him some more attention.

Absolutely destroyed Low A ball, despite being the 3rd youngest player in the league. Earned a midseason promotion to High A ball and so far has been holding his own. He is now the youngest player in the CAL league by nearly a full year over the next closest. Don't see this type of mastery of the strike zone from a player this young of age(turns 19 on Saturday)

After a bit of a slump in High A, he got a day off for rest a few nights ago. Seemed that it did the trick, as he went 6-9 with 2 doubles, 1 HR, 1 SB in his last 2 games. Now sports a .292/.370/.486 line in his short stint so far in High A

In our league, we can hold on to MiLB players for 1 year. I know he is young. any chance we can see him in 2011? or is 2012 more likely?

2012 is more likely I would say. He's probably ticketed for AA next season. Really depends on how much the Angels rush him. Could see a september call-up in 2011 for a cup of coffee at the big league level, or, if he continues his torrid hitting at every stop, he may very well find a spot on the team in mid 2011.

If I had to pick right now though, I'd bank on 2012 being the year. That's when Torii's contract is up as well, opening up a spot in CF for Trout

Anybody have any good information on this kid? Where will he be ranked this year? When's his ETA to the MLB? What kind of tools will he have? What type of player will he resemble?

In almost all prospect reports that will come out for the upcoming season, Trout will be ranked either #1 or #2 (behind Bryce Harper). In fantasy, I'd anticipate he likely has the most upside of the two given his blazing speed. Trout could be a real 5-category dynamo a la Hanley Ramirez. Harper, meanwhile, has a better shot at 40-homerun power but without the double-digit steals and high batting average (Harper's high strikeout numbers will preclude him from too high an average in all probability).

Long-term there seems to be some question as to whether Trout's massive size will erode his superspeed (he's kindof a freak physically -- he's massive yet he has fantastic wheels), but for now, I'd imagine him as a .300 hitter with 20+ homerun power and 45+ stolen base speed. He's got room for power growth as well -- someone with his size and with his swing will always have power projection -- and, last but not least, he knows how to take a walk. There's a reason he's the buzz of the scouting world right now.

I think you can look for Trout some time around the end of 2011 (perhaps for a cup of coffee). He may be the starting center fielder for the Halos by 2012 (and no, I don't believe Bourjous is the answer long-term for them in center).

i'd be careful of trout's power........20 HR is probably more of a ceiling then a floor at this point......think johnny damon, not ken griffey here

i'd be careful of trout's power........20 HR is probably more of a ceiling then a floor at this point......think johnny damon, not ken griffey here

I'll be interested to see how much power he ends up with. He's certainly not Griffey (not many people are) as Trout doesn't have the body or the loft in his swing to likely ever hit 40+ homers like Junior. But somewhere in the 15-25 homerun range seems pretty plausible to me once he fills out just a bit more. He's already 15 pounds heavier than Damon (mostly muscle, too), and the gap is only going to get larger. In five years, I think we're looking at a guy with upper end potential of 25 homers and 50+ steals.

He was only 11-17 in high A stealing bags. If he does fill out more i would doubt 50 steals will happen, when the power comes around.