Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

NoGimmicks

Mike Trout OF LAA

102 posts in this topic

I don't think the Super 2 will effect them like it does some teams. Hunter's deal runs out after 2012, Abreu may pack his bags and get the 1 mil buyout next year,Bourjos has shown very little, and Wells they are stuck with. You would think they would want to see Trout in Sept to decide what they need for 2012.

You've constructed the counterargument to your own argument within your post. Torii Hunter will be with the Angels in 2012. Vernon Wells will be with the Angels in 2012. Peter Bourjos will be with the Angels in 2012. And Bobby Abreu, barring an injury, will be with the 2012 Angels (his option for next year vests at 550 plate appearances, and he already has 292). The Angels won't have room for Trout unless they give up on Bourjos, who is a defensive dynamo in center field.

I think Bourjos gets plenty of rope with his offense as long as he's putting up great defense in center field. If, however, he falls off further offensively or stops providing excellent defense, Trout may get his shot. I just think that the Angels are going to play it as safe as they can financially with Trout because he looks like he's going to be a superstar. Unless they can sign him to a long-term deal very very soon after his call-up, they stand to save a huge amount of money in arbitration by keeping Trout down until next June. I hope that they're reckless with their money (I'm a Trout owner), but most GM's have become much more savvy over the years with their prospects and arbitration. In other words, the odds are against an early call-up.

When you're the #2-#4 overall prospect in most mainstream lists going into 2011, I doubt many are overlooking him - rather, most don't see an immediate ETA, for all the reasons that Bodhizefa alluded to.

While some teams ignore Super-2 like DET & SF, it's something that always looms over teams. At least by next season we'll know the status of Super-2 - the problem is, does Tony Reagans take that chance this year without knowing until the off-season what happens with Super-2? More importantly, why would he call Trout up in September, only to have to delay his service time later on (remember, it's not just Super-2 - you need about 14 days off service time to gain an extra year before Free Agency - so by keeping Trout down even for 2+ weeks to start next season, even if there's no Super-2 in the new CBA - extra year of free agency gained).

Honestly, I love Trout long-term, but I would be surprised if there's any callup this year, simply because of the service time issue, AND the fact that the Halos have 4 OF's in 3 spots plus the DH PLUS Kendrys Morales & Mark Trumbo in the 1B spot for 2012. Because they are ALL there for 2012, there's less reason to start Trout's service time clock early - if he's coming up, they'll want him to come up & play every day, no point in throwing away service time if he's on the bench (and while many will point to Scioscia & Brandon Wood, it's safe to say no position prospect comes as close to Trout status-wise in ANA for a loooong time). Once 2012 is done, then there are a bunch of openings, and the problem goes away.

Add it all up, barring injury I think the earliest ETA we see is June 2012 (give or take a week), and that's only if Trout keeps up his torrid pace. Any hitches, and the Halos will have a lot of incentive to keep developing him slowly until there are major roster openings for him - regardless of Super-2, it makes little sense to call him up in September (because Free Agency service time considerations will be affected as well, not just Super-2).

I'd love to see him get a Sept call-up, but doesn't Soscia hate prospects?? I'm pretty sure K-Rod is the only one he's played and that was due to injuries wrecking the bullpen.

He doesn't hate prospects, it was just Brandon Wood. Look at Bourjos, Trumbo, Conger, Chatwood and so on and so on...

He doesn't hate prospects, it was just Brandon Wood. Look at Bourjos, Trumbo, Conger, Chatwood and so on and so on...

And as it turns out, it seems he may have been right about Wood.

When you're the #2-#4 overall prospect in most mainstream lists going into 2011, I doubt many are overlooking him - rather, most don't see an immediate ETA, for all the reasons that Bodhizefa alluded to.

While some teams ignore Super-2 like DET & SF, it's something that always looms over teams. At least by next season we'll know the status of Super-2 - the problem is, does Tony Reagans take that chance this year without knowing until the off-season what happens with Super-2? More importantly, why would he call Trout up in September, only to have to delay his service time later on (remember, it's not just Super-2 - you need about 14 days off service time to gain an extra year before Free Agency - so by keeping Trout down even for 2+ weeks to start next season, even if there's no Super-2 in the new CBA - extra year of free agency gained).

Honestly, I love Trout long-term, but I would be surprised if there's any callup this year, simply because of the service time issue, AND the fact that the Halos have 4 OF's in 3 spots plus the DH PLUS Kendrys Morales & Mark Trumbo in the 1B spot for 2012. Because they are ALL there for 2012, there's less reason to start Trout's service time clock early - if he's coming up, they'll want him to come up & play every day, no point in throwing away service time if he's on the bench (and while many will point to Scioscia & Brandon Wood, it's safe to say no position prospect comes as close to Trout status-wise in ANA for a loooong time). Once 2012 is done, then there are a bunch of openings, and the problem goes away.

Add it all up, barring injury I think the earliest ETA we see is June 2012 (give or take a week), and that's only if Trout keeps up his torrid pace. Any hitches, and the Halos will have a lot of incentive to keep developing him slowly until there are major roster openings for him - regardless of Super-2, it makes little sense to call him up in September (because Free Agency service time considerations will be affected as well, not just Super-2).

This all makes a ton of sense, and means most likely, Trout will get a callup mid-2012. Of course, if he gets promoted to AAA this year and just destroys the league, and then destroys pitchers in ST next year, plans can be changed. Bourjos has value, and value can be traded for other kinds of value... deciding to go Trout > Bourjos does not mean 'giving up' on Bourjos in terms of getting value for the asset.

ESPN Fantasy Spin:

Over his last 10 games, Trout is batting .310/.396/.500 with one home run, four RBI and three steals for Double-A Arkansas...Trout has actually fanned 11 times over that span though, and has also been caught stealing twice. Nevertheless, he remains one of the best prospects in the game, and could be a September call-up if he continues to rake.

if Bourjos injury tonight is serious is there any chance the Angels call him up? i doubt they would but man that would be great.

if Bourjos injury tonight is serious is there any chance the Angels call him up? i doubt they would but man that would be great.

Wish granted.

You and I were on the same page at nearly the same time, lol. I mentioned this same thing in the Bourjos thread. Trout was the first thing that came to mind when I saw Bourjos pull up lame.

You and I were on the same page at nearly the same time, lol. I mentioned this same thing in the Bourjos thread. Trout was the first thing that came to mind when I saw Bourjos pull up lame.

also the first thing i thought of when i saw the injury to bourjos. this proves that the angels are definitely in it to win it.

hopefully he sticks for the rest of the season

Can someone please help me figure out how the Angels are going to make Trout room for 2012. I'd like to keep him in a keeper league, but I just cannot figure out how they will fit him in.

1. Peter Bourjous is the real deal. Yeah he's not a super star, but he's hitting well enough to allow his game changing defense and game changing speed in a starting roster spot. Perhaps he gets traded for a 3B... we will see.

2. Abreau is back for next year with a big contract. Perhaps they can trade him mid-way through 2012- we will see. Not sure where he is going to play with Trumbo at 1st and Morales hopefully back. Perhaps one of them gets traded for a 3B player.

3. Wells is untouchable (I wish the GM wasn't untouchable)

4. Hunter is on the dock for 18 million next year. There is no way anyone touches him in a trade unless it's late in the season or the Angels pick up part of the tab.

So how does Trout crack the Angels starting lineup in 2012 either to start the season or at the trade deadline?

Can someone please help me figure out how the Angels are going to make Trout room for 2012. I'd like to keep him in a keeper league, but I just cannot figure out how they will fit him in.

1. Peter Bourjous is the real deal. Yeah he's not a super star, but he's hitting well enough to allow his game changing defense and game changing speed in a starting roster spot. Perhaps he gets traded for a 3B... we will see.

2. Abreau is back for next year with a big contract. Perhaps they can trade him mid-way through 2012- we will see. Not sure where he is going to play with Trumbo at 1st and Morales hopefully back. Perhaps one of them gets traded for a 3B player.

3. Wells is untouchable (I wish the GM wasn't untouchable)

4. Hunter is on the dock for 18 million next year. There is no way anyone touches him in a trade unless it's late in the season or the Angels pick up part of the tab.

So how does Trout crack the Angels starting lineup in 2012 either to start the season or at the trade deadline?

I would think at some point next season Wells, Abreu will completely fall off and Trout will get promoted, I dont see him making it out of Spring Training unless he goes completely bonkers, plus he probably needs more seasoning so its not a bad thing anyway

Trout is in another department when it comes to offensive potential along with pretty much same defense value as bourjos, but as I said offensively trout>bourjos.

Bourjos is better defensively so I'd rather he stick in CF. They'll have to find a way to trade Abreu(while prob eating most of the 9 mill he'd be owed) to some team. Doubt anybody would have interest in Hunter, who is in the midst of his worst season and looks like age has finally caught up to him

The stuff that Ellsbury is putting up this year is probably the type of production you can expect from Trout in his prime IMO

Trout is an excellent defender, but is nowhere near the equal of Bourjos in CF. Bourjos is a top 5 CF'er in all of baseball. Yes, Trout's bat is a ton better. But if Trout makes the team and Bourjos is still on it, Bourjos will be in CF. Its not even really close.

Don't forget to factor in injuries. All it takes is one injury to somebody and Trout has a starting spot. Trumbo was only supposed to be an April fill-in, and ended up playing the whole season. They may try to make a trade to find a spot for Trout, but I'm sure the Angels also appreciate having the depth. Its not like Morales is a guarantee to even be able to play everyday...

It's all speculation until we see what the Angels do with their roster in the off-season, but Trout seemingly has a couple of hurdles to overcome for a full-time gig in 2012. You can't count on Morales at this point, but if he is healthy, he clearly takes some time at DH and 1st base. Trumbo has earned a hefty share of playing time at 1st, too, and he could also see time in the outfield. And Abreu will still be there to DH and occasionally play the corner outfield spots as well. I know we all believe in Trout and his abilities, but Mike Scioscia works on a veteran pecking order. And while Trout is next in line for center field if anything happens to Bourjos (who is an amazing defender and who won't lose his job unless he's dealt or injured), Trout finds himself behind a bevy of veterans in the corner outfield spots as well as DH.

Off to a great start 8-16 (3)BB (6)R (1)2B (1)RBI (5)K (2)SB (1)CS

Only DH'ing so far and the K's are high, but losing 15-20 lbs and sore throwing arm might have something to do with his stats so far

Mike Trout is looking like a much more advanced player than Bryce Harper at a higher level. I'm curious to see how much he runs when he gets settled in the majors. I don't think we will be seeing the 60 SB's he's done before in the low minors, but even without those it looks like he will be an elite MLB hitter.

Mike Trout is looking like a much more advanced player than Bryce Harper at a higher level. I'm curious to see how much he runs when he gets settled in the majors. I don't think we will be seeing the 60 SB's he's done before in the low minors, but even without those it looks like he will be an elite MLB hitter.

All depends where he hits in the lineup. He will settle into the 3rd spot sooner or later, which will effect his steals. But if he starts out higher or lower the steals could reach 30.

Playing the outfield tonight (Left), so hopefully he's over the shoulder issue.

The Angels really need to get rid of one of those OF/DH scumbags from the group of Hunter/Wells/Abreu.

They need to realistically hope that all 3 play decent enough to where they can keep Trout in AAA until Early July so they can get an extra year of service time

They need to realistically hope that all 3 play decent enough to where they can keep Trout in AAA until Early July so they can get an extra year of service time

They pay Albert 250 mil and you think they care about service time?