Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

NoGimmicks

Mike Trout OF LAA

I'm really curious on how good Mike Trout is? I don't think he will be in the majors for 2 years let alone be an impact player for 5 years from now.......All thoughts are appreciated!!!!

I'm really curious on how good Mike Trout is? I don't think he will be in the majors for 2 years let alone be an impact player for 5 years from now.......All thoughts are appreciated!!!!

He will be in the majors sometime next year. He doesn't have anything overly negative about him. Only thing is, is that he won't maintain his speed as this size. Chances are he will be a star level player I can't really see a argument against it.

He will be in the majors sometime next year. He doesn't have anything overly negative about him. Only thing is, is that he won't maintain his speed as this size. Chances are he will be a star level player I can't really see a argument against it.

So are you thinking sometime in 2011 season or 2012 season? As far as a star level player who would you compare him too? I have him on my minor league roster and am tempted to trade him.....thats why I kind of want to get a feel for this kid.

So are you thinking sometime in 2011 season or 2012 season? As far as a star level player who would you compare him too? I have him on my minor league roster and am tempted to trade him.....thats why I kind of want to get a feel for this kid.

The comps I've seen from some prospect gurus early on have mentioned Trout compares favorably to Grady Sizemore, except with more speed and a little less power.

Trout currently grades out as an 80 on the 20-80 scale for speed. That's ludicrous level ability, and even if he loses some over time, he's probably always going to be pretty fast.

Really can't see him making the team this year. Unless they have a bunch of injuries and he is absolutely mashing, that would be the only way he'll make the team this year. Like Bodhizefa said Sizemore is the comp everyone has been tossing around. What I see happening is, is what I like to call the Hanram affect. He will start off with a lot of speed, as his body matures he will get bigger (obviously) which will cause him to lose speed and gain power. Also he will most likely be hitting in the 3/4 spot depending on how the Angels roster looks so he won't have as much of a incentive to steal as well. So long story short, I see him being a Sizemore like player who will come in with amazing speed, lose it over time but he will still have plus speed just not the type of 80 speed he has right now, he will gain power over time. I wouldn't trade him if I were you a guy that has great power/speed good plate discipline who is just a good hitter. Unless your team is riddled with old players and you are going for it all this year than I'd keep him. Obviously there is no such thing as being "untouchable: in my opinion, so if you get blown away than take the deal.

Anybody catch the Dodgers-Angels game last night? Trout got an at bat and it was pretty impressive.

First and foremost, he's huge. I forgot reading about his speed that he's 6'1" and built. And you can read that, but it doesn't really hit you until you see him on a regular size tv. His swing is short and quick, and he would probably hit for more power but less average if he lengthened it, but 25 HR seems like it's a possibility. Great eye, didn't seemed concerned when he got 2 strikes on him, and then he chopped a little slow roller in the grass between the mound and first...

fastest guy I've ever seen on a diamond. He beat the throw to first by about 5 steps. As soon as it got past the pitcher he was pretty much on the base. Total "wow" moment. You can just see, if he can gap the ball, he may hit 30 triples one year. His speed is beyond insane. I would not be shocked by lines like .330-30 2B- 20 3B- 20 HR- 50 SB.

Anybody catch the Dodgers-Angels game last night? Trout got an at bat and it was pretty impressive.

First and foremost, he's huge. I forgot reading about his speed that he's 6'1" and built. And you can read that, but it doesn't really hit you until you see him on a regular size tv. His swing is short and quick, and he would probably hit for more power but less average if he lengthened it, but 25 HR seems like it's a possibility. Great eye, didn't seemed concerned when he got 2 strikes on him, and then he chopped a little slow roller in the grass between the mound and first...

fastest guy I've ever seen on a diamond. He beat the throw to first by about 5 steps. As soon as it got past the pitcher he was pretty much on the base. Total "wow" moment. You can just see, if he can gap the ball, he may hit 30 triples one year. His speed is beyond insane. I would not be shocked by lines like .330-30 2B- 20 3B- 20 HR- 50 SB.

Easy there. If he is the fastest guy you've seen, you obviously haven't watched baseball.

Easy there. If he is the fastest guy you've seen, you obviously haven't watched baseball.

I have, and he is.

Well numbers suggest he isnt. He ran 6.4 as his best in 3, 60 yard dash runs. While B.J Upton ran a 6.2...

Well numbers suggest he isnt. He ran 6.4 as his best in 3, 60 yard dash runs. While B.J Upton ran a 6.2...

I don't see how that comparison tells us anything meaningful.

A straight-line 60 yard dash time isn't a good way to compare game speed since there is only 30 yards to first base, and you run in an arc-like pattern all the way to second base during a double.

edit: I don't care who is faster.

I don't see how that comparison tells us anything meaningful.

A straight-line 60 yard dash time isn't a good way to compare game speed since there is only 30 yards to first base, and you run in an arc-like pattern all the way to second base during a double.

edit: I don't care who is faster.

Either way Brett Gardner is faster then both.

Since we've had 5 posts debating if he's the fastest poster one person has seen - perhaps we can all agree he's got plus-plus speed (and most, if not all who've seen him would say that - agree with 80 rating). Regardless of whether you think Player X is faster or not, it's still a great tool. I think we can move on from there.

This will be a big year for him - under the microscope of attention as a top 5 prospect, and making the jump to AA. It will be fun to watch him, as we're going to get a lot more footage available with the jump.

I would say the A to AA jump is the biggest for minor league players. I honestly wouldn't be shocked if Trout had a somewhat down year even though I am pretty high on him.

Haha! Man, geez. Anyway, in case anyone wasn't sure at what I was getting at I'm drooling over him. I'll be watching very closely to his AA season as if he can not hit any major speed bumps he'll be on a possible fasttrack to the show because the Angels outfield, at least one third of it, is very injury prone. I was kind of surprised he actually has some propel arguing him over Harper, and I won't go that far, but he's a freakish athlete.

Well, this is the Angels. They'll probably call him up for 30 games next year and sit him on the bench for half of those. Then, do that again the following year. They seem to have a knack for this kind of stuff.

Well, this is the Angels. They'll probably call him up for 30 games next year and sit him on the bench for half of those. Then, do that again the following year. They seem to have a knack for this kind of stuff.

Did they do this with someone other than Brandon Wood? Wood is not even a AAAA player. He can't hit anything but an average fastball.

Yeah, they have actually been pretty aggressive with their top prospects. Kotchman was called up at age 21, Kendrick was called up to play 1B just to get his bat in the lineup towards the end of the season, and they didn't even make an effort to re-sign Glaus and handed the 3B job over to McPherson. The only situation where they seemed to dick around with a prospect was with Wood...but can you really blame them? They called him up early, gave him some AB's and he was horrible. Speaking of prospects, I wouldn't be surprised if Garrett Richards or Tyler Chatwood are up by midseason to replace Kazmir

Trout went 3-4 tonight with two homers, one walk, and five RBIs for Double-A Arkansas. One of his HRs was a grand slam.

The kid is a beast. B)

The #1 prospect in the game not disappointing so far

has a .318/.423/.727 line through his first 6 games in AA. 3 Hr, 7 RBI and 1 SB. I honestly think we see a September call-up for him.

It seems he's got a pretty clear 2011. Half year at AA, 2nd half at AAA, maybe a Sept. cup of coffee at MLB. Next year is the real question. Angels will still have all of Hunter, Wells, Bourjos and Abreu for 2012. (Abreu's 2012 option becomes guaranteed with 533 plate appearances, something he seems likely to achieve.)

Really makes the Vernon Wells trade even more silly.

Really makes the Vernon Wells trade even more silly.

I'm not here to defend the Vernon Wells deal (we all know it was dumb), but the possibility still exists that Bourjos fails to hit (although he does look pretty decent at the moment). And Hunter hasn't exactly been the picture of perfect health in the last few years either. Trout may not begin 2012 as one of the starting nine for the Angels, but he's going to get a chance to play. Given his abilities, I'd think he could be a full-time starter by July of 2012 at the mere age of 20. And holy cow is he going to be fun to watch.

3 for 6 last night with his 4th HR already for AA Arkansas.

Hitting .318 so far, also stole 3 or 4 bags on the season.

This kid is going to be special.