Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

NoGimmicks

Mike Trout OF LAA

3 for 6 last night with his 4th HR already for AA Arkansas.

Hitting .318 so far, also stole 3 or 4 bags on the season.

This kid is going to be special.

My outfield will be even more stacked if that's true.

What kinda numbers do you guys think he will put up his first few years in the majors? I think he has a skill set similer to that of a younger Hanley. Mid 20s in homers and 40-50 steals, even from a position standpoint thats first round type of stuff.

What kinda numbers do you guys think he will put up his first few years in the majors? I think he has a skill set similer to that of a younger Hanley. Mid 20s in homers and 40-50 steals, even from a position standpoint thats first round type of stuff.

That's pretty much exactly the type of prediction Kevin Goldstein gave in a Tweet a few days ago -- 20 HR/40+ SB. If that happens, I'll be doing cartwheels across America.

Yeah, Goldstein has him pegged as a 20/40 guy coming into the league, and as he gets older and his speed diminishes a bit, he'll hit more HR's with less SB's. Hopefully that's what ends up happening. Trout will likely be the Angels future LFer, assuming Bourjos shows he can be at least average with the bat

Yeah, Goldstein has him pegged as a 20/40 guy coming into the league, and as he gets older and his speed diminishes a bit, he'll hit more HR's with less SB's. Hopefully that's what ends up happening. Trout will likely be the Angels future LFer, assuming Bourjos shows he can be at least average with the bat

They're going to have one of the best defensive outfields in baseball if they can find someone with any skill at all in right field if that ends up happening. Their pitchers should love that.

Considering he has plus plus speed, if he "diminishes" to simply plus and drops from 50-60 SB's (I could easily see an Ellsbury like 70 SB's with his OB skills early in his career) to 40-50 and his power creeps up you could see a guy who's a .310+ AVG with .400+ OBP and 25-30 HR with 50 SB playing a corner OF spot with plus plus defense. As an A's fan... yikes. As a fantasy owner... yikes!

So Hanley in the outfield. Yeah, I think I'm cool with that. The one thing to consider, but not bank on at all, is he has the "makeup" and physical potential to do something completely nuts and rip off a few video game stat years and do something like .335-31-95-70 with 100 bb's. Everything imaginable would have to go right with his body and development, etc, but he's that ridiculous of a talent.

Did they do this with someone other than Brandon Wood? Wood is not even a AAAA player. He can't hit anything but an average fastball.

Wood just turned 26. He is still too young to be considered an 4A player. He has been rushed and mismanaged as a prospect / young hitter. Socia has never really been known for bringing along young hitters. Now he's got Bourjos, Trumbo, and Conger all coming up quick, I'm curious to see how they develop.

Also good for Wood on his waiver claim to PIT. I think it'll help him a lot.

Back to back nights with a HR. I really hope he stays in the minors until next September just because I don't have any room for him on my roster but man is this guy going to be a stud.

I still question the 40-50 steals. Alot of players steal bases in the low minors and tail off big time in the upper minors, and even more in the Bigs. I know he has great speed, but there are alot of those types of players in the Bigs that can't steal a base.

I still question the 40-50 steals. Alot of players steal bases in the low minors and tail off big time in the upper minors, and even more in the Bigs. I know he has great speed, but there are alot of those types of players in the Bigs that can't steal a base.

I think the point on the scouting reports is that he has the speed and ability to steal 40-50 bases if he can harness it. And I disagree that "there are a lot of [these] types of players in the Bigs". I think you'd be hard-pressed to find more than 10-15 people with an 80 speed score on the 20-80 scale (and there may be even fewer than that). Trout is damned fast. He may need to learn the subtleties of base thieving, but the tools are certainly there for him to be a nearly elite source of stolen bases in fantasy.

Even if he can't sustain 40+ SB, 25-30 SB seems reasonable. That along with developing 20-25+ HR power will be fine with me

You got to remember an 80 tool is elite. As in the best or top 5 in the league. He should be able to get at least 20-25 just on speed alone.

Two doubles last night.

He's really hitting his stride at AA now.

We're talking generational talent if he pans out.

Two doubles last night.

He's really hitting his stride at AA now.

We're talking generational talent if he pans out.

When do you think he'll get called up? At all this year?

anybody know the time frame for when he debuts n the biggs...?

anybody know the time frame for when he debuts n the biggs...?

Honestly, I love the kid, but it would be shocking to see anything before 2012. As great as he is, he is just now getting used to AA ball. The jump from High A to Double A is huge.

Agreed. Seems he gets overlookeda bit on these boards despite continuing to put up numbers that you don't see too often for people his age

Just hit a HR in his first AB tonight. Has 8 HR's on the year in an extreme pitchers park/league. BA is now at .330 and his OBP is over .430. OPS is now over 1.000 as well. He's had at least 3-4 more balls hit off the wall and in one case was robbed of a HR on an amazing catch. The power seems to be developing pretty quickly, which is really the only question left with a guy with his skillset

He is scorching hot in June hitting .415/.500/.707 in 41 AB's(before tonights HR)

Agreed. Seems he gets overlookeda bit on these boards despite continuing to put up numbers that you don't see too often for people his age

Just hit a HR in his first AB tonight. Has 8 HR's on the year in an extreme pitchers park/league. BA is now at .330 and his OBP is over .430. OPS is now over 1.000 as well. He's had at least 3-4 more balls hit off the wall and in one case was robbed of a HR on an amazing catch. The power seems to be developing pretty quickly, which is really the only question left with a guy with his skillset

He is scorching hot in June hitting .415/.500/.707 in 41 AB's(before tonights HR)

Also added a BB w/ a Stolen Base. This kid is ready for AAA at the very least. Happy to have him in my keeper league.

... The jump from High A to Double A is huge.

And what's great is that it looks like he's made that jump very very quickly. It reminds me of when Miguel Cabrera made the jump to Double-A in 2003 and absolutely crushed at that level (he was age 19/20 at the time). The real phenoms seem to be able to make the jumps quickly, and Trout may just be in that category of player. I don't expect to see Trout in the big leagues until June of 2012, but it would be nice if the Angels would promote him to Triple-A soon. It looks like he's almost out of things to learn in Double-A.

And what's great is that it looks like he's made that jump very very quickly. It reminds me of when Miguel Cabrera made the jump to Double-A in 2003 and absolutely crushed at that level (he was age 19/20 at the time). The real phenoms seem to be able to make the jumps quickly, and Trout may just be in that category of player. I don't expect to see Trout in the big leagues until June of 2012, but it would be nice if the Angels would promote him to Triple-A soon. It looks like he's almost out of things to learn in Double-A.

He's gotta get a Sept callup, but yes he needs to jump to AAA after the allstar break. His #'s in the PCL should be play station like.

I'd love to see him get a Sept call-up, but doesn't Soscia hate prospects?? I'm pretty sure K-Rod is the only one he's played and that was due to injuries wrecking the bullpen.

He's gotta get a Sept callup, but yes he needs to jump to AAA after the allstar break. His #'s in the PCL should be play station like.

If he gets a a September call-up, then his projected call-up in 2012 would be even longer (see: Jennings, Desmond) as the Angels would have to wait to make sure Trout doesn't reach Super 2 status. Personally, I think a September call-up would be silly of the Angels unless they know 100% they want to hold Trout down until July next year (or if their outfield depth gets super low come season's end and they're still in the playoff hunt).

If he gets a a September call-up, then his projected call-up in 2012 would be even longer (see: Jennings, Desmond) as the Angels would have to wait to make sure Trout doesn't reach Super 2 status. Personally, I think a September call-up would be silly of the Angels unless they know 100% they want to hold Trout down until July next year (or if their outfield depth gets super low come season's end and they're still in the playoff hunt).

I don't think the Super 2 will effect them like it does some teams. Hunter's deal runs out after 2012, Abreu may pack his bags and get the 1 mil buyout next year,Bourjos has shown very little, and Wells they are stuck with. You would think they would want to see Trout in Sept to decide what they need for 2012.