Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

JP Gaster

Ryan Mathews, Jahvid Best, and Ben Tate

I'm in a points per carry league. One of these guys should be there for me in the 3rd round (2 keeper league, already have Rice).

Whom do you think will see the most touches?

I have a feeling Mathews may go before my 3rd round (really 5th) pick. Our league is also PPR, so i'm forced to go WR/WR in the 1st and 2nd.

Matthews is the one with the least uncertainty but maybe not necessarily the most upside. I really like Tate out of the three and I wouldn't want to trust any Lions player not named Calvin Johnson.

Ryan Matthews will go quick. Like the last guy said you can't trust a LION. My brother told me that about fantasy 4yrs ago win I started and neither of us have every drafted a LION. And we rank up W's. So Best is actually the worst.

I realize I am a Lion fan but both Fugge's and Pacman's rationale is weak. If Best becomes their feature back he is head and shoulders ahead of Tate.

Slaton is a big question mark at this point and I would consider him a more likely drain on Tate's carries than the recuperating K. Smith is for Best. I suspect you should be throwing Spiller in for consideration. Even with the loaded backfield in Buffalo I think he is a safer investment than Tate at this point.

Sorry Tate owners, but you're reaching if you put him before Jahvid Best. I seriously doubt many owners would draft Tate ahead of Best in any format.

I see Mathews getting drafted very early. Maybe 3rd in 12 team leagues. He seems like the best bet for the most carries, but prob losing 3rd down work to Sproles. Most likely getting GL work if I had to guess.

Tate will prob get a few less carries and lose 3rd down work as well. He could get GL work, but I hate Kubiak and he could throw out any combo of RBs at anytime. Could see him going later like 5th or 6th.

Best looks like the best bet for 3 downs, but GL is a question considering his size. What they do with Kevin Smith is anyone's guess. I think he's the best value pick in PPR though. Prob going after the 1st two.

So I'd go Best before the others, based on value. Mathews value rides a lot on TDs and I hate to depend on a player for that. Tate has those issues and more. So yea, I'd say Best is the best value. Not anywhere close to sold on any of them though. At least not where you'd have to draft them.

I see Mathews getting drafted very early. Maybe 3rd in 12 team leagues. He seems like the best bet for the most carries, but prob losing 3rd down work to Sproles. Most likely getting GL work if I had to guess.

From what drafts I've seen Mathews has been almost universal at the #1 pick. Bryant has been vying for the #2 slot pretty consistently with Best edging out Spiller and others for #3. Would be interested in hearing who you think will pass him by and the reasons why.

Tate will prob get a few less carries and lose 3rd down work as well. He could get GL work, but I hate Kubiak and he could throw out any combo of RBs at anytime. Could see him going later like 5th or 6th.

I do not see Tate as an option until pick #5 - Mathews, Bryant, Best, Spiller and then B. Tate? Any other RB's (Hardesty, Gerhart, Dwyer?) before the introduction of WR's or even QB into the mix?

I'm in a points per carry league. One of these guys should be there for me in the 3rd round (2 keeper league, already have Rice).

Whom do you think will see the most touches?

I have a feeling Mathews may go before my 3rd round (really 5th) pick. Our league is also PPR, so i'm forced to go WR/WR in the 1st and 2nd.

I dont think you are forced to go wr/wr if there is a legit ppr back out there. Matthews is probably th best bet to lead carries out of that group, and althought I have best ahed of spiller, you could go eitehr way, but best might be the better bet for more touches.

Best looks like the best bet for 3 downs, but GL is a question considering his size. What they do with Kevin Smith is anyone's guess. I think he's the best value pick in PPR though. Prob going after the 1st two.

So I'd go Best before the others, based on value. Mathews value rides a lot on TDs and I hate to depend on a player for that. Tate has those issues and more. So yea, I'd say Best is the best value. Not anywhere close to sold on any of them though. At least not where you'd have to draft them.

Im really quite unsure as to why matthews value depends on his td total ? He is the complete back, he can catch, block, and knows how to run. In a very good offense that has already said he will see 250 touches at a minimum.

Im really quite unsure as to why matthews value depends on his td total ? He is the complete back, he can catch, block, and knows how to run. In a very good offense that has already said he will see 250 touches at a minimum.

You really think Sproles is just going to sit on the bench? I don't see him not being the 3rd down back. I'd imagine they use Sproles quite a bit since he's franchised and they don't seem likely to give him a deal. Certainly limits Matthews in PPR.

SD is still a passing offense, imo. Could change but I'd have to see it first.

You really think Sproles is just going to sit on the bench? I don't see him not being the 3rd down back. I'd imagine they use Sproles quite a bit since he's franchised and they don't seem likely to give him a deal. Certainly limits Matthews in PPR.

SD is still a passing offense, imo. Could change but I'd have to see it first.

Well, why would a passing offense use a first round bid (especially when they have other needs) on a running back ? Norv Turner has already said he will see atleast 250 carries. Sproles has already shown he isnt a full time back. He had his shot.

Norv Turner has always liked pounding the ball with someone, I dont expect that to change, I think the last two years of them going to a more pass oriented offense has to do with LT's ineffectiveness more than anything.

I never said Sproles was going to ride the bench either, dont know where you read that. Norv Turner said he will see 250 carries, not me. Dont put words in my mouth please, k, thanks, bye.

250 touches is hardly being the only running back seeing touches.

Well, why would a passing offense use a first round bid (especially when they have other needs) on a running back ? Norv Turner has already said he will see atleast 250 carries. Sproles has already shown he isnt a full time back. He had his shot.

Norv Turner has always liked pounding the ball with someone, I dont expect that to change, I think the last two years of them going to a more pass oriented offense has to do with LT's ineffectiveness more than anything.

I never said Sproles was going to ride the bench either, dont know where you read that. Norv Turner said he will see 250 carries, not me. Dont put words in my mouth please, k, thanks, bye.

250 touches is hardly being the only running back seeing touches.

When did he say that and do you have a link? Not doubting you, just never saw that.

So we both agree Sproles will prob get the pass-catching work.

When did he say that and do you have a link? Not doubting you, just never saw that.

In the Ryan Mathews thread or the Ryan Mathews news page http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpag...3&sport=NFL as the April 26th update, Norv Turner said that Mathews would get around 250 carries and 40 receptions. Peter King takes it a step farther in the most recent news.

In an industry draft talked about on the football page right now Mathews went 2.1 in a ten team league. His value is through the roof right now.

In the Ryan Mathews thread or the Ryan Mathews news page http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpag...3&sport=NFL as the April 26th update, Norv Turner said that Mathews would get around 250 carries and 40 receptions. Peter King takes it a step farther in the most recent news.

In an industry draft talked about on the football page right now Mathews went 2.1 in a ten team league. His value is through the roof right now.

That's pretty crazy to me.

I'd never take a rookie RB that high in any format.

That's pretty crazy to me.

I'd never take a rookie RB that high in any format.

I'm not saying I agree with that draft position at all, but I do think he's going to get a lot of touches and I'd target him around the 30th pick in re-drafts. I definitely see him as the #1 fantasy rookie due simply to the massive opportunity. Forte isn't a great player, but he put up huge numbers with the opportunity Chicago gave him his rookie year. Mathews will likely fall short of what Forte did, but there's definitely precedent for a big rookie year by a guy with a lot of reps.

I'm not saying I agree with that draft position at all, but I do think he's going to get a lot of touches and I'd target him around the 30th pick in re-drafts. I definitely see him as the #1 fantasy rookie due simply to the massive opportunity. Forte isn't a great player, but he put up huge numbers with the opportunity Chicago gave him his rookie year. Mathews will likely fall short of what Forte did, but there's definitely precedent for a big rookie year by a guy with a lot of reps.

Just for the hell of it, here are our 1st 5 rounds in that mock:

Luda: CJ / VJax / Schaub/Addai/Gonzo/Driver

PatB: AP / BMarshall / S Rice/Gates/cutler/Tate

Duck: MJD / Djax / Mendenhall/Witten/Carbtree/Sproles

Arm: Ray Rice /Austin/Clark/Benson/Bowe/Maclin

FelT: Sjax/R Moss/Romo/ Steve Smith NYG/Jacobs/Garcon

Mal: Gore/RWhite/Brady/Wells/Harvin/Nicks/

Eagles: Turner/JCharles/Colston/Finley/MSW /RunRickyRun/

Mega: AJ/Fitz/Greene/Moreno/Jones/Ryan

WestC: Brees/Jennings/McCoy/Ocho Cinco/VernonDavis/JermHarrison

Drater: Rodgers/D Wiliams/Boldin/ Steve Smith CAR/Forte/JvdBest

Kanter: PManning/Calvin Johnson/J Stew/Mathews/Celek/BraylonEd

Smoot: Rivers/Wayne / PierreThomas /Grant/ Ward / RBrown

Per Rotoworld:

Chargers coach Norv Turner estimates that Ryan Mathews will have 250 carries and 40 catches this season.

It's rare that we get a coach to give a fantasy-type prediction, but there you have it. Turner noted that he won't have to lean on Mathews as much as he did LaDainian Tomlinson when LT was a rookie (Turner was Chargers offensive coordinator under Mike Riley that year), but we can be certain that Mathews is going to get all the early-down work. The Chargers will also run the ball on early downs more now that they have someone capable. If Mathews gets nearly 300 touches as Turner predicts, he won't have trouble finishing as a top-15 fantasy back in San Diego's high-scoring offense.

Would ya still rather take best or spiller ? Cuz I think you are out of your mind if you would.

And if you ask me, 40 catches isnt bad for a ppr format either.

There is so much hype already (Mathews), I doubt he makes it to me in the 1st round (2 keeper league).

If he tears it up in pre-season.....I can forget it.

Per Rotoworld:

Chargers coach Norv Turner estimates that Ryan Mathews will have 250 carries and 40 catches this season.

It's rare that we get a coach to give a fantasy-type prediction, but there you have it. Turner noted that he won't have to lean on Mathews as much as he did LaDainian Tomlinson when LT was a rookie (Turner was Chargers offensive coordinator under Mike Riley that year), but we can be certain that Mathews is going to get all the early-down work. The Chargers will also run the ball on early downs more now that they have someone capable. If Mathews gets nearly 300 touches as Turner predicts, he won't have trouble finishing as a top-15 fantasy back in San Diego's high-scoring offense.

Would ya still rather take best or spiller ? Cuz I think you are out of your mind if you would.

And if you ask me, 40 catches isnt bad for a ppr format either.

If people are gonna take Matthews in the 1st 3 rounds, I'd most likely pass and take a proven stud in PPR.

If I could get Best like 4 rounds later then yea, I'd rather have him.

arian foster is running with the first team (perhaps by default at this point) and is still in the mix. I wouldn't even bother with ben tate at this point.

Not if you consider that the Chargers had 17 rushing TDs last season, and as you know, have a history of rushing the ball in. But I do get your point. For me, it's a toss-up between Mathews and Best, who is the better talent and has great hands, in an offense that will need to catch up often in games...