Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

GBPig99

RIP Dennis Hopper

R.I.P. B) one of my favorite actors is gone.

Gonna have to get a hold of a Hopper movie. He's been in some good ones.

R.I.P. B) one of my favorite actors is gone.

Yeah, but you already posted in the Gary Coleman thread.

Folks,

I know some of you may not dig old movies. I know many of you who have already posted in here do.

Try to check Hopper out in his early gigs. Glimpses of his psychotic fire in Rays' "Rebel", his youth in Stevens' "Giant", passion in a different kind of role for him in Corman's "Night Tide"

He was a talent. He was also a nut case. Oh well.

Yeah, but you already posted in the Gary Coleman thread.

Folks,

I know some of you may not dig old movies. I know many of you who have already posted in here do.

Try to check Hopper out in his early gigs. Glimpses of his psychotic fire in Rays' "Rebel", his youth in Stevens' "Giant", passion in a different kind of role for him in Corman's "Night Tide"

He was a talent. He was also a nut case. Oh well.

That's why I've always liked him. You could just tell he was a cool guy.

That's why I've always liked him. You could just tell he was a cool guy.

As we know, it is always fascinating to note how creative genius and artistry in any field of expression often teeters on the brink of madness- or teeters a while then goes right over the edge.

Though a movie from the book has been made it is inferior to the original source, and if you have a chance I recommend you all read "Raging Bulls,Easy Riders: How the Sex-Drugs-and-Rock and Roll Generation Changed Hollywood". Hopper is a pivotal, if not a central figure (Bobs Evans and Rafaelson factor greater in the chronicle as presented here) and a few (though very few) glimpses at his character- while not at all that flattering, surely enlightening in artistic context- during his formative, tumultuous, tempestuous creative years are offered.

NOTE: BTW- His dialogue in "Apocalypse Now" was nearly all ad lib, with only the gist, the direction supplied by Coppola and suggested by Milius's original screenplay. Wild, incredible stuff. The TS Eliot reference was sheer brilliance; it felt so organic to the character as created by him.

TCM Dennis Hopper salute, 6/8/10- Apocalypse Now! not part of the 5 pack.

It's cool that "Night Tide" is part of the package. Uncool that it's TiVo material even on the West Coast, where it will be seen at a more reasonable 1:15AM

Look, I know you fellas at TCM had to shuffle to arrange this "Tribute", but come on- 4 of the movies begin after 10PM on the East Coast, 3 from 12:30 on. And "The Sons of Katie Elder" and "True Grit" before "Rebel", "Easy Rider" and "Night Tide"? That's just a joke.

Speaking of jokes, by the official counter (however accurate that is) as of this morning more people perusing these forums have viewed Gary Coleman's thread than this one. WhatchutalkinaboutRotoworld? I mean, I can understand, I guess. Two titans of their craft departing our...who am I kidding? What's the matter with you people???

(Yes, I realize the irony of typing that, that is that no one to whom that message is intended will ever read it. But sometimes you just have to say "Screw the candle!" and curse the darkness. B) )

BTW- I shamefully wrongly attributed "Night Tide" to Roger Corman. His independent movie company American International oversaw the distribution of the film and it was included in a so-titled "Corman Anthology" I added to my Corman library. In making this mistake I made the type of assumption that I loathe and chastise.

But it's really not my fault.

Really.

"Night Tide" was actually "auteured" by B-Movie Maestro Curtis Harrington who directed a couple of my favorite 70s-era entries in the genre "Whoever Slew Auntie Roo?" (that house *must* be made of gingerbread since Shelley Winters chews on it so enthusiastically) and "How Awful About Allan", with Anthony Perkins channeling a little bit of Norman Bates for Harrington.

Hidden

It was not until he portrayed the gas-huffing, obscenity-screaming iconic villain Frank Booth in David Lynch's Blue Velvet (1986) that his career revived. After reading the script, Hopper called Lynch and told him "You have to let me play Frank Booth. Because I am Frank Booth!"[11] Hopper won critical acclaim and several awards for this role and the same year received an Oscar nomination for Best Supporting Actor for Hoosiers.

Steroids

colon cleanse