Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

RotoRaysfan

Carlos Santana C CLE

With Wieters up, and much love for Buster Posey from last year's draft, and much excitement about guys with great bats but suspect gloves (Montero, Tyler Flowers, Max Ramirez, etc.), I thought we should recognize the steal of last year's trade deadline - Carlos Santana, C, for CLE. He's been mentioned before, and he's no doubt well known in dynasty leagues and MILB aficionados already, but for those who are in shallower keeper leagues, or just starting dynasty, this kid has the potential to be special.

Converted SS, so very athletic, good footwork & strong arm. Game-calling and his mechanics were raw last year, but from scouting reports from BA, they are improving.

I left out the best part - the bat. Switch-hitter with plus power, and *great* contact / pitch recognition skills.

So far, in Double-A, he's abusing the opposition - 9 HR's, just under .300, and more BB's than K's. That's right - pretty much the whole package.

Since he just took to the C coversion full-time last year, I suspect he needs all of 2009 and most of 2010 to catch up to the defensive/game-calling aspects of catching. But the bat is *elite*. I figure by mid-to-late 2010, he's going to be Exhibit A for Dodger fans to be calling for Ned Colleti's head (again). Meanwhile, the Tribe's embarassment of riches at C continues.

I'm an owner so I'm pretty excited about this guy, especially when it comes to his ratios.

Given his athleticism, if he's not able to stick at C do you think it's likely that 3B will be the second option? Seems like another strength for this particular prospect

I'm an owner so I'm pretty excited about this guy, especially when it comes to his ratios.

Given his athleticism, if he's not able to stick at C do you think it's likely that 3B will be the second option? Seems like another strength for this particular prospect

Chisenhall is off to a very good start, and despite the errors, scouts from BA are optimistic he'll stick. Given that V-Mart is likely to take over 1B eventually (remember, I think it will take all of 2009 & most of 2010 for Santana to be MLB-ready glove-wise and game-calling wise), I don't see a huge logjam by late 2010/early 2011.

Ok now that VMart has officially been traded, there is really no other solid options in front of this kid. Do we expect to see a move to Santana in August? He's probably all but guaranteed a spot in Sept, but could we see him earlier?

Lou Marson (acquired from Philly) is the temporary option. He likely gets called up immediately and splits (at a minimum). Santana likely won't get much more than a september call up. Santana is clearly the long term option, but they've said previously that they are going to keep Santana in AA

What about Shoppach?

What about Shoppach?

Well for this year, it will be Shoppach and Marson. Santana will stay in the minors. But Santana is clearly the long term option. Santana is both better defensively and likely offensively than Shoppach. Marson is supposedly a solid defender with good OBP. Basically a perfect backup.

Obviously Shoppach is out of the picture.

"I would expect that sometime between April and September Carlos will be in Cleveland," said Shapiro.

http://www.cleveland.com/tribe/index.ssf/2...rade_kelly.html

That obviously gives us no information. My guess is that he is given the chance to prove himself and comes up under super 2 status. What do they have to gain by having him start in the majors?

4-5 with 2 HR and 4RBI in his first game

another homer tonight and 3 more rbi

Call him up now CLE please B)

Realistically, how soon before he is called up?

He's being held down for 2 reasons:

1. His game calling and receiving skills (catching the ball to frame it). His footwork and arm have improved significantly, those first 2 areas are where he's said to be not quite there yet from the ST reports/scouting reports I read.

2. Business wise, the Indians gain 1 extra year before they lose him to free agency if they keep him down 2-3 weeks, and 1 more year before he is arbitration eligible (Super-2) by about June 1.

Put the 2 together, a June 1 callup would be great news - but I suspect it might be even a little later, if he doesn't progress with #1. There's no doubt his bat is ready to try the MLB level, though.

He's ready right now. The arbitration boring crap thing keeps him in Triple A longer. Next year will really be when you need to hop on this guy. He'll have some growing pains this year. But, the Marson/Redmond catching duo for the Tribe is God awful

I think every Montero owner wants this kid to come up so they all Montero can swoop him up lol

Let's hope they only wait the 2-3 weeks instead of until June 1st. I got a feeling that catching duo for the Indians is going to put up some of the worst catcher production in the history of the MLB....and eric wedge isn't around anymore so he shouldn't be giving him Laporta treatment...

I think every Montero owner wants this kid to come up so they all Montero can swoop him up lol

Let's hope they only wait the 2-3 weeks instead of until June 1st. I got a feeling that catching duo for the Indians is going to put up some of the worst catcher production in the history of the MLB....and eric wedge isn't around anymore so he shouldn't be giving him Laporta treatment...

I have Santana in an AL Only league and I'm willing to wait. It's easy for fans to be impatient but there are valid reasons why it wouldn't make sense to bring up Santana so soon:

He's being held down for 2 reasons:

1. His game calling and receiving skills (catching the ball to frame it). His footwork and arm have improved significantly, those first 2 areas are where he's said to be not quite there yet from the ST reports/scouting reports I read.

2. Business (reasons) wise, the Indians gain 1 extra year before they lose him to free agency if they keep him down 2-3 weeks, and 1 more year before he is arbitration eligible (Super-2) by about June 1.

Put the 2 together, a June 1 callup would be great news - but I suspect it might be even a little later, if he doesn't progress with #1. There's no doubt his bat is ready to try the MLB level, though.

Defense doesn't matter that much from a fantasy perspective. But catcher has always been one of the most important defensive positions. So, it's not a bad idea to let a catching prospect work on any defensive issues before he's brought up.

It's also important to keep in mind that the chances that Cleveland will make the playoffs are pretty slim. And if Santana can't help them make the playoffs this season what motivation does the club really have to bring him up 4-6 weeks early?

How long before he starts getting front page Yahoo and ESPN hype?

He probably won't get much attention from mainstream media unless he continues to hit like crazy for the rest of the month.

How long before he starts getting front page Yahoo and ESPN hype?

He was already Yahoo front page news a couple days ago.

who is the better stash between him and posey for this year? i'm sure this is a popular question for those fellow montero owners.

considering Posey has Molina in front of him and Santana only has Marson (0-9) and Mike Redman (1-7) standing in his way, it shouldnt be much past May 1 before Santana gets the call if he doesnt show any issues with his defense (which is the reason he started in the minors).

considering Posey has Molina in front of him and Santana only has Marson (0-9) and Mike Redman (1-7) standing in his way, it shouldnt be much past May 1 before Santana gets the call if he doesnt show any issues with his defense (which is the reason he started in the minors).

this is true, and as soon as santana passes through waivers i'm gonna make a claim for him.... i just hope no one burns a claim on him (which i highly doubt in this league).