Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

RotoRaysfan

Carlos Santana C CLE

considering Posey has Molina in front of him and Santana only has Marson (0-9) and Mike Redman (1-7) standing in his way, it shouldnt be much past May 1 before Santana gets the call if he doesnt show any issues with his defense (which is the reason he started in the minors).

Might be more like June 1 if the Indians are worried about Super-2 status. The al Central is weak, so the hope is that the Indians are more concerned about this year than a few years down the road.

Seeing as they brought LaPorta up relatively early last year, I think we'll see Santana sooner than later.

Query - does he stick?

Is this guy (or posey) worth stashing in redraft leagues this year?

You only need to be semi-garbage to be a top-ten catcher in the league nowadays

Depends on the depth of your league. Frankly, I think you're better off getting someone that helps you now rather than using a bench slot on what could be a pipe dream.

I think every Montero owner wants this kid to come up so they all Montero can swoop him up lol

Let's hope they only wait the 2-3 weeks instead of until June 1st. I got a feeling that catching duo for the Indians is going to put up some of the worst catcher production in the history of the MLB....and eric wedge isn't around anymore so he shouldn't be giving him Laporta treatment...

YES!!! You are correct sir!!!!!

I was at Indians Opening Day on Monday and all the talk was about the team actively shopping Sizemore and that Santana will be down till June 1. Obviously playing for down the road already. Granted this was talk radio and fans in the stands that I was hearing this from. Take it for what its worth. I was really hoping to here different buzz since I heard the night before I lost Montero and I drafted Santana in my keeper league.

Nothing really new here but he's mentioned by the Indians beat reporter....

http://cleveland.indians.mlb.com/news/arti...sp&c_id=cle

With Lou Marson struggling at the plate and Carlos Santana putting up good at-bats down in Columbus, is there any chance of us seeing Santana topside sooner than midseason? If not, how are his defense and battery skills progressing?

-- Jacob K., Claremore, Okla.

Recently, in this very space, we discussed how salary arbitration impacts decisions on when to promote promising prospects, and that discussion applies to Santana. Hard to imagine the Indians calling him up early enough that 2010 could count toward his three years of service before salary-arbitration eligibility.

Additionally, there are developmental incentives to keeping Santana in Columbus for a while. He had never been to the Triple-A level prior to this season, and the more experience he gets calling games, handling a pitching staff, blocking balls in the dirt, controlling the running game, etc., the better. Don't forget, this guy was just converted from third base to catching three years ago, so he's still learning. His English has progressed well enough that he can converse with his pitchers. That was an area he improved on considerably at Double-A Akron last year. Santana's bat is big league-ready. He's proving that by hitting .423 with four homers, eight RBIs and a ridiculous 1.478 OPS through his first seven games in Columbus. But for all the reasons listed above, particularly the arbitration issue, I don't see him replacing the struggling Marson until late May or early June, at the earliest. But Marson has clearly been overmatched at the plate thus far.

Looks like he came out in the top of the 3rd today due to an injury. Anyone know what happened? I've only got the play by play, so I have no details at all.

Looks like he came out in the top of the 3rd today due to an injury. Anyone know what happened? I've only got the play by play, so I have no details at all.

Just tuned into the radio broadcast. He fouled a ball off the back of his leg and had to be helped off the field.

Just tuned into the radio broadcast. He fouled a ball off the back of his leg and had to be helped off the field.

Damn.....any updates?

Indians prospect Carlos Santana has been diagnosed with a knee bruise and is considered day-to-day.

Santana fouled a ball off his left leg during a Triple-A game Wednesday, but should only miss two or three games. The 24-year-old is off to a stellar start at Triple-A Columbus, batting .364 with four homers.

What does everyone think as far as a time table for this kid getting called up? Clevelands current catcher is hitting the ball like...well hes not and Santana has been looking great in AAA so far. Hitting for average and power and outside of dinging his leg up a bit I dont see any negative on him. It could be another situation of them delaying arbitration but I think he could do well from coming up now and learning to hit major league pitching this year so he can come in ready to go next year.

I keep wondering the same thing. I kind of want to go catcherless til Carlos Tito Santana is called up (I'm in a redraft 5x5 league).

I think the Smoak call up might spark some more. That seems to happen every year.

I'm thinking the first week of May and it'll be in the middle of the night like Smoak's call up yesterday.

He's playing tonight, so the knee doesn't seem like a concern.

As for the timetable, the Indians are frugal and awful this year, so they have every incentive to wait. Smoak came up early because the Rangers think they can contend in their division.

Santana will be up around the same time Chapman & Strasburgh are up (which is sometime in the 10 days before or after Memorial Day.)

Santana will be up around the same time Chapman & Strasburgh are up (which is sometime in the 10 days before or after Memorial Day.)

I'd agree. Everybody's worried about Super-2, so the unofficial June deadline crops up. Mike Fontenot was the last player to qualify for Super-2 status last year (I believe), and he had 2 years and 139 days. Since the deadline moves all the time, there's no set standard. But Waiting until Mid-May should be enough. But to error on the safe side, waiting an extra two weeks is usually worth it. I mean Tim Lincecum and Hunter Pence qualified for Super-2 by less than 15 days. If those teams waited a few weeks to call them up back in 2007, they would have saved significant payroll in this year and the next several. Does Cleveland really have anything to play for this season?

He homered and stole a base on Saturday. I guess the knee is no longer an issue.

Anyone know when the arbitration period is up so they can call him up without losing rights?

Anyone know when the arbitration period is up so they can call him up without losing rights?

Copy/pasted from the Chapman thread...

http://www.purplerow.com/2009/2/26/770663/...tions-part-four

Best link I can come up with.

The funny part - a year is considered 172 days of service time, even though the season goes for over 183 days on average - no one really knows what 11+ days don't count as days. That's why teams generally wait 2-3 weeks of lost time to be absolutely sure (what happens if you are in a 2-day playoff? Does that add service time? So teams are smart to wait 2-3 weeks).

It also explains Super-2 really well.

Bottom line - the Indians have already saved an extra year before free agency. Because Super-2 is based on the top 17 percent of players with 2+ (but not 3 years) of service time, the target date changes with each class of players who move up to 2+ years of service time. It used to be mid-May - but now it's more late-May to early June to be on the safe side. There are teams that don't factor in Super-2 avoidance as a habit in trying to compete right away (DET, SF, HOU), and then there are teams that make exceptions for talented players in a year where they can contend (ATL avoided Super-2 with Hanson, then decided the FA/Super-2 avoidance wasn't worth giving up a better chance to compete now with Heyward). In Santana's case, the Indians are off to a slow start, and realistically see the future as a greater chance than the present - plus, in Santana's case, there are real issues of growth on the catching side (his receiving skills <framing the ball> and game-calling). There's no doubt he's got little left to prove in the MILB bat-wise - but the financial benefits and letting him develop his C skills more makes June 1 the likely earliest ETA IMO.

Hope that helps,

Hows this guy project at the major league level? I know hes dominating in the minors, but i figure he will not come out that hot in the majors having to learn a pitching staff and the opposing hitters. Playin catcher seems like it hurts rookies, Wieters being the prime example last year.

Hows this guy project at the major league level? I know hes dominating in the minors, but i figure he will not come out that hot in the majors having to learn a pitching staff and the opposing hitters. Playin catcher seems like it hurts rookies, Wieters being the prime example last year.

If there was a player who should have succeeded right away, it was Wieters. It just shows how hard it is for rookies - and then how more difficult learning the C job is.

The guy has V-Mart type skills written all over him - great eye, plus-power, plus-contact skills, and he switch-hits. He's even a little more mobile, so 5-10 SB's could happen early in his career. He's got a great arm, and his footwork and release are improving. The main issue is his receiving (framing the ball) and the game-calling, hurt a lot by language barriers.

For his first year, I'd expect the same type of year as Wieters, with perhaps a little more HR power. Give him 350 PA's (because he waits until June 1), I'd put 10 HR, 50 RBI (if he bats in the top 6), and .280. His ultimate ceiling? .300/25 and 5-10 SB's. In other words - top 3 C potential. He, Wieters & Posey look the next generation of elite C's. But after seeing what Wieters went through in 2009, and realizing Santana is further behind Wieters in the game-calling/D aspect, I'd temper any major impact expectations for 2010 (realizing .280/10/50 from June 1 onwards obviously still makes him very worthwhile, just not elite yet)

Hope that helps,

Thanks thats kind of what I was thinking, just trying to gauge if he is worth holding onto and where he ranks when hes called up.

i watched santana once already this year at Columbus and he definitely will be hitting for power when he is called up...the ball coming off his bat sounds different then anyone else on that team....but like everyone else has been saying he is down in the minors because of his defense and lack of english...the indians want him to be able to manage a game....but with marson doing so bad at the plate the indians might have to force him to come up sooner...article about it today in the cleveland plain dealer

http://www.cleveland.com/tribe/index.ssf/2...u_marson_g.html