Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

RotoRaysfan

Carlos Santana C CLE

If there was a player who should have succeeded right away, it was Wieters. It just shows how hard it is for rookies - and then how more difficult learning the C job is.

The guy has V-Mart type skills written all over him - great eye, plus-power, plus-contact skills, and he switch-hits. He's even a little more mobile, so 5-10 SB's could happen early in his career. He's got a great arm, and his footwork and release are improving. The main issue is his receiving (framing the ball) and the game-calling, hurt a lot by language barriers.

For his first year, I'd expect the same type of year as Wieters, with perhaps a little more HR power. Give him 350 PA's (because he waits until June 1), I'd put 10 HR, 50 RBI (if he bats in the top 6), and .280. His ultimate ceiling? .300/25 and 5-10 SB's. In other words - top 3 C potential. He, Wieters & Posey look the next generation of elite C's. But after seeing what Wieters went through in 2009, and realizing Santana is further behind Wieters in the game-calling/D aspect, I'd temper any major impact expectations for 2010 (realizing .280/10/50 from June 1 onwards obviously still makes him very worthwhile, just not elite yet)

Hope that helps,

i think he's worth the wait whenever he gets the call if youre in a keeper league, especially now that we're in May. Catcher is such a weak position, especially in AL-only leagues that you can survive just keeping Santana in your lineup rather then a scrub like Lou Marson or a back up catcher (if you dont have bench spots). if you do have bench spots he's a no brainer.

Wieters still hit .288 last season, i wouldnt call that a struggle really, for a rookie. Obviously his power numbers haven't translated yet, but he still hits for a good AVG and the power will come. i agree though, you can't really expect anything better then what Wieters did last season after he got called up, if that. still, that's just as productive as some weaker catchers are in a full season of at bats.

Posted · Hidden
Hidden
i think he's worth the wait whenever he gets the call if youre in a keeper league, especially now that we're in May. Catcher is such a weak position, especially in AL-only leagues that you can survive just keeping Santana in your lineup rather then a scrub like Lou Marson or a back up catcher (if you dont have bench spots). if you do have bench spots he's a no brainer.

Wieters still hit .288 last season, i wouldnt call that a struggle really, for a rookie. Obviously his power numbers haven't translated yet, but he still hits for a good AVG and the power will come. i agree though, you can't really expect anything better then what Wieters did last season after he got called up, if that. still, that's just as productive as some weaker catchers are in a full season of at bats.

In a fifteen team dynasty league, he is sitting on the wire. The bench is short that is the problem. I would love to pick him up and wait, but i need to compete this year as well.

Posted · Hidden
Hidden

if you are in a 15 team dynasty league you need to pick him up

seems incredibly obvious to me

Posted · Hidden
Hidden

kinda depends on who your C is now. Might take a while til hes good, and with a small bench might not be worth it. Hes my 3 c in a 2 catcher league, so I drafted him for depth or to make one of my C's trade bait.

Posted · Hidden
Hidden
if you are in a 15 team dynasty league you need to pick him up

seems incredibly obvious to me

You would think it is but posey, santana and j. monteno (ny) are all still available. With a short bench and one DL spot you have to have players to compete this year as well. Or maybe im missing something. M. Napoli is my catcher right now.

Posted · Hidden
Hidden
You would think it is but posey, santana and j. monteno (ny) are all still available. With a short bench and one DL spot you have to have players to compete this year as well. Or maybe im missing something. M. Napoli is my catcher right now.

Honestly, I would think about dropping Napoli for Santana now, and just forfeit the C position until he gets the call. It's not like Napoli is helping that much anyway.....

This kids really needs to get called up, Suzuki just isnt cutting it for me, even pre DL stint.

This kids really needs to get called up, Suzuki just isnt cutting it for me, even pre DL stint.

i know, doumit is killing me... i dont want to wait anymore!

i know, doumit is killing me... i dont want to wait anymore!

me too. im pumped as posey just got picked off the wire. im rockin napoli, but santana looks good.

Big game today, homer 3 rbi 2 walks 1/1

Even better today. How about this line:

2-2, 2 HRs, 5 RBI, 2 BB

2-2, 2 HRs, 5 RBI, 2 BB

Carlos makes me giddy.

2-2, 2 HRs, 5 RBI, 2 BB

An OPS over 1.100. I can't wait for this stud to get the call.

Yahoo Sports is reporting today that people should pick Carlos Santana up 'now' but it's pretty obvious that he's going to be down for at least another 2 weeks.

Or is next week the week where these uber-prospects start getting the call. I mean it's the last week of May.

Yahoo Sports is reporting today that people should pick Carlos Santana up 'now' but it's pretty obvious that he's going to be down for at least another 2 weeks.

Or is next week the week where these uber-prospects start getting the call. I mean it's the last week of May.

One should be looking to the week of June 1 for the call-ups of the bigtime guys that are deemed "ready." Though both Posey and Santana may have to wait longer if their game-calling skills aren't seen as being up to snuff.

FYI...Marson is 0 for 3 today with 2 Ks, hitting .207.

i think the main issue has been his ability to call a game...he hasn't been catching that long and his english isn't that good yet either...marsons offense struggles aren't making it any easier on the indians front office to keep him down especially with the fan base...be interesting to see what they do here soon

Hidden

Who would you guys rather have in a dynasty league? Santana or Wieters?

i think the main issue has been his ability to call a game...he hasn't been catching that long and his english isn't that good yet either...marsons offense struggles aren't making it any easier on the indians front office to keep him down especially with the fan base...be interesting to see what they do here soon

His bat is on fire though. I think the Indians should do whatever they can to get him in the lineup.

It would probably never happen, but how about having him catch a few days a week and fill in at SS (his old position) a few times a week as well, now that Asdrubal Cabrera is on DL??

Make it happen Cleveland!

His bat is on fire though. I think the Indians should do whatever they can to get him in the lineup.

It would probably never happen, but how about having him catch a few days a week and fill in at SS (his old position) a few times a week as well, now that Asdrubal Cabrera is on DL??

Make it happen Cleveland!

this will not happen...no way he comes up and plays SS...hes the future catcher and they are keeping him at that position

this will not happen...no way he comes up and plays SS...hes the future catcher and they are keeping him at that position

by the way, if i saw it right on the screen last night, his minor league game is running on mlb network right now? (11 am start)..

Your boy Marson went 0-3 with 2 Ks again yesterday..he has raised his BA 40 points in may though..guess that jump isnt as interesting when it edges you over the Mendoza line.

Your boy Marson went 0-3 with 2 Ks again yesterday..he has raised his BA 40 points in may though..guess that jump isnt as interesting when it edges you over the Mendoza line.

Meanwhile...everyone's favorite catching prospect single-handedly won the game for his team -

"Clippers 3, Braves 2. Catching prospect Carlos Santana slashed a two-run single in the sixth inning as Columbus won at Gwinnett, Ga. Joe Smith (2-1) picked up the win in relief with one inning of scoreless pitching. Jess Todd pitched two scoreless innings to close the game and picked up his fourth save."