Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

RotoRaysfan

Carlos Santana C CLE

http://www.cleveland.com/tribe/index.ssf/2...of_chasing.html

So let's cut to the chase. When does catcher Carlos Santana make his way from Class AAA Columbus to Cleveland? If all is lost, isn't it time to go young across the diamond?

It seems not. At least where Santana and Michael Brantley are concerned.

Santana's bat would certainly look good in Acta's lineup, but the Indians' concerns about Santana's defense appear to be real. Scouts say certain parts of Santana's defensive game would get exposed at the big-league level if they aren't corrected in Columbus.

Besides, Lou Marson has done a solid job behind the plate after a shaky start in April. He'd help himself if he started to hit, but the same could be said about every position player outside of Shin-Soo Choo and Austin Kearns.

Team is in the dump anyways, down the road they can let him learn play catcher at mlb level too, not that it will hurt them anymore than they sucking right now anyways.

Might as well learn how to play catcher in the majors and at the same time learn now to hit major league pitching.

Yahoo! blurb says he should be up sometime before the all-star break.

indians beat writer for the cleveland paper said the same thing...sounds legit

indians beat writer for the cleveland paper said the same thing...sounds legit

Hmm...maybe Monday, June 7 at home vs. BOS, pitting the Indians' "catcher of the future" against Victor Martinez, their catcher of the past. Juicy, juicy...

EDIT: And whatta ya know, Carlos Santana, the musician, will be pulling out of Ohio on the 7th after his June 6th Cincinnatti show just as Carlos Santana, the catcher, arrives. The stars align!

Mark it: June 7 at home vs. BOS. I'm calling it now.

Hmm...maybe Monday, June 7 at home vs. BOS, pitting the Indians' "catcher of the future" against Victor Martinez, their catcher of the past. Juicy, juicy...

EDIT: And whatta ya know, Carlos Santana, the musician, will be pulling out of Ohio on the 7th after his June 6th Cincinnatti show just as Carlos Santana, the catcher, arrives. The stars align!

Mark it: June 7 at home vs. BOS. I'm calling it now.

lol

This is the soundest logic i've heard yet regarding any hot prospect.

lol

This is the soundest logic i've heard yet regarding any hot prospect.

Haha...I'm glad you "got it" that it was tongue-in-cheek.

"Catcher Carlos Santana belted his 10th homer of the season in Triple-A Columbus' 5-3 loss to Charlotte on Tuesday. Santana leads the International League in on-base percentage (.447) and walks (35), is third in slugging percentage (.573) and OPS (1.020), tied for third in homers (10) and fourth in RBIs (40)." - mlb.com

Meanwhile in Crapland...

Marson 0 for 3 today with 2 Ks. Hitting an even .200 on the season with 0 home runs and 3 RBIs.

i still dont know why people keep showing marsons numbers...if the indians were so concerned about their lack of hitting at the catcher position then santana would be up here already...santana's defense, being able to call a game, and lack of english are whats keeping him down

This is why: http://www.waitingfornextyear.com/?p=28125

Also, I think the bigger issue is arbitration, not his defense or English.

This is without a doubt the only issue he is not in the big leagues. Call my cynical but I am just not buying the defense, his English, his handling of pitchers, his handling of umpires, how to put on his catchers gear or any other red herring the Indians want to throw out to divert our attention from this kid not being in their lineup. The Indians are in last place in the ALC, their pitching staff is last in the AL in OBP and 12th in OPS, so I don't see how his cathing could have that large a negative impact on their pitchig staff. And like another week or two in the minors is gonna make a difference anyway. Call up Carlos.

Thank you. Vent over.

This is why: http://www.waitingfornextyear.com/?p=28125

Also, I think the bigger issue is arbitration, not his defense or English.

I agree that the arbitration issue is the driving factor in his callup time. The Indians are in no rush, and I'm sure their front office has their own idea when 1/6 of callups will be up, and Carlos will stay in AAA at least until then.

That article is garbage, by the way. You take minor league numbers for what they are, you don't compare them to ML numbers.

i also think the matt laporta regression in the big leagues isnt helping as well

Hidden
do we stash this guy?

I would rather have him than Ohman.

Any early predictions here? It seems to be about time, within a week or two we should see him.

So naturally I agree with the Magic Santana Alignment theory. And forsee a decade of lame Sportscenter, sports radio and blog jokes . . .

It is the defense that they are still worried about right? I don't know how they can keep justifying that as a reason to keep him down with how much he is mashing and then seeing how putrid their C production has been on the ML team

not to mention the Indians are falling further and further down in the standings.

just read this in the paper today

http://www.cleveland.com/pluto/blog/index....out_the_17.html

Carlos Santana (10 HR, 42 RBI, .314, 1.017 OPS) continues to destroy Class AAA pitching. But the catcher has thrown out only six of 32 base stealers. He has a good arm. The previous two seasons, he threw out 38 percent. But he has developed some bad throwing habits. If the Indians can be patient with Luis Valbuena batting .138 at second base, they can promote Santana and let coach Sandy Alomar work on his catching skills in Cleveland.

Lets be honest, Marson isnt exactly a wizard behind the plate or with the staff...

Think this guy gets the call up this week?

http://www.cleveland.com/tribe/index.ssf/2...rospect_ca.html

The Indians want to see how Santana will deal with a staff of more experienced pitchers at Columbus. The past two years at Class A and AA, he was the best player on the team. What he called, the pitchers threw.

Lewis, who has spent parts of the past four years in the big leagues, had no problems with Santana's game-calling.

"I talked to him and said, 'This is what I want to do,' " said Lewis. "He said, 'I think this will work here and this will work here.' I maybe shook him off twice in all the times he caught me.

Wow nice article...the Indians are so full of s---! It's gonna be really hard to keep the "We're keeping him down cuz he needs to work on his english / defense" theme going when MLB level pitchers are saying the following:

"There is no problem whatsoever with his communication," said Lewis. "He's got a good feel for everything. He talks to you between innings. He's very verbal, very positive about what he wants to do. As a pitcher, that's what you want."

If you believe what the Indians have been saying, he barely speaks english and can't communicate to his pitchers well. This interview seems to directly contradict that stance. No wonder the Indians suck!

Stats...

Santana is hitting .313 (52-for-166) with 32 runs, 10 doubles, one triple, 10 homers and 42 RBI in 51 games. He has struck out 33 times, drawn 39 walks and has an OPS of 1.013.

Lou Marson is hitting .216 (25/116) with 13 runs, 0 homers, 6 RBI, with an OPS of .546.