Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

RotoRaysfan

Carlos Santana C CLE

It was a night game followed by a day game, pretty standard rest day. COL played at 7pm on Saturday and 2pm on Sunday.

Santana is mashing in minors and continues to walk at insane rate... I just don't see why would Indians keep him there any longer, I mean gosh wtf

http://web.minorleaguebaseball.com/milb/st...&pid=467793

[shapiro/Antonelli] No reason to call up a MLB-ready hitter when you are hunting for good draft position and already out of contention [/shapiro/Antonelli]

I was sticking needles in my Lou Marson voodoo doll today and he hit a 3 run HR... so much for that. B)

"Santana is hitting .342 with 10 homeruns and 42 RBI at Triple-A Columbus. Not that I think this will be the “norm” in the majors but it is worth mentioning that he has six steals without being caught and a triple to boot. Santana, like Posey, is still fairly young for a big-league catcher, but his competition is Lou Marson who is hitting just .218 with 0 homeruns. I suspect the Indians will call this kid up sometime in the middle of June."

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/402430-...-help-this-year

It says the article was written on June 7th even though the writer fails to take note that Marson hit a HR last night. Nonetheless, this is somewhat encouraging.

Tristan Cockroft of ESPN said in a chat just a few minutes ago to not expect Carlos Santana until September when the rosters expand to 40 man. Similar to Posey coming up late last year for a cup of tea. Argh...

http://espn.go.com/sportsnation/chat/_/id/...-baseball-focus

Hi Tristan! Whats your ETA for the following players: Wallace, P Alverez, Bumgarten, and C Santana? Thanks

<H6 style="FLOAT: left" class=sn>Tristan H. Cockcroft (11:24 AM)</H6>

I think both Brett Wallace and Pedro Alvarez are trade-deadline type arrivals, Madison Bumgarner maybe in 3-4 weeks, Carlos Santana not until the 40-man roster expansion in September. I feel like the Indians' comments about Santana needing defensive polish means they have no intention of rushing him.

Tristan Cockroft of ESPN said in a chat just a few minutes ago to not expect Carlos Santana until September when the rosters expand to 40 man. Similar to Posey coming up late last year for a cup of tea. Argh...

Hi Tristan! Whats your ETA for the following players: Wallace, P Alverez, Bumgarten, and C Santana? Thanks

<H6 style="FLOAT: left" class=sn>Tristan H. Cockcroft (11:24 AM)</H6>

I think both Brett Wallace and Pedro Alvarez are trade-deadline type arrivals, Madison Bumgarner maybe in 3-4 weeks, Carlos Santana not until the 40-man roster expansion in September. I feel like the Indians' comments about Santana needing defensive polish means they have no intention of rushing him.

Read: "We don't want to bring Carlos up into the turmoil that is the Indian organization and/or get used to any of the coaches/GM. We have some firings to do. Also, we kinda want that #1 draft pick next season."

Read: "We don't want to bring Carlos up into the turmoil that is the Indian organization and/or get used to any of the coaches/GM. We have some firings to do. Also, we kinda want that #1 draft pick next season."

Where is that quote from? I don't see that anywhere in the discussion posted by thebear.

Where is that quote from? I don't see that anywhere in the discussion posted by thebear.

That's not a real quote, he was just offering his own interpretation of Cockroft's quote.

Here's more Cockroft on Santana from later on in that chat:

"Question: Carlos Santana...they keep saying he's not ML ready, but thats what they said about Buster Posey a very short time ago. Clearly the Indians have nothing to play for the rest of the way. When is this kid coming to the majors?

Answer: And Buster Posey got just a cup of coffee last September and then spent the first two months of this year in the minors, which in my opinion was way longer than necessary or longer than most fantasy owners could possibly have expected. Great example, Steve, and it does show why Santana owners shouldn't be holding their breath."

I dropped him a couple days ago after Shapiro's statements regarding keeping Santana down to work on his defense. I feel like they really wanna develop Marson for some reason (to up his trade value?) and are in no hurry to bring up Santana at all.

^^The difference being, last year the Giants were contending and Molina was their everyday Catcher who actually hit above average (based on Catcher norms). The Indians, however, are not in contention and have a catcher that is below league average in offense.

I don't recall the hype for Posey last year as I do for Santana this year. If the Indians want to make headlines, they need to bring this kid up.

Marson is nothing, he should be a backup catcher and nothing else.

He'll be up before September. He's already on the 40 man roster, so the expansion won't have anything to do with it.

I see marson is back under .200 at .193.... while santana is still not called up lol

while carlos hit his 12th HR last night... yea gg indians

I see marson is back under .200 at .193.... while santana is still not called up lol

while carlos hit his 12th HR last night... yea gg indians

Please don't remind me. The wait has become brutal. Every sports pundit is shocked, confused, and wonders what the GM is doing.

Unfortunately for all us Santana owners, I'm afraid that Olney is right. If Santana sees a call-up prior to September than it would surprise me. Yes he is already on the 40-Man roster, but that has no bearing as to the September call-ups when the roster expands. The only thing that the roster expansion does is allow teams to increase the number of players on their active rosters - so don't read into that too much

Cleveland has nothing to play for at this point in the season, and Lou Marson is still a viable catcher in the big leagues. Bear in mind that "viable" can mean hitting somewhere between .210 and .260 while being an awesome defensive catcher, or having the ability to manage a pitching staff (a la Jason Varitek).

Furthermore, Santana is trying to get used to managing the minor league staff, which will most likely be the same players that he will be managing in the upcoming years in the big leagues. The Indians starting pitching is atrocious, with the possible exception of Mitch Talbot. Santana, being a blue-chip prospect, needs as much confidence boosting as possible when he gets called-up in order for him to succeed in the long term. If he gets up here and his defensive is rough, if the pitchers are getting blasted, and if base runners are constatnly stealing bases (Santana is only throwing out like 19% of base stealers in AAA), then his confidence goes down the tubes. And anyone who follows baseball knows that a player's success is 60% skill, 20% confidence, and 20% luck. That's why even the greatest of players can have slumps (which are initially caused by bad luck, and that bad luck ruins a players confidence).

Santana ETA best-case: Early August

Most Probably: September

Worst-Case: Starts 2011 as starting catcher

Ben Badler of Baseball America wrote on Twitter today:

"Best prospect still in the minors? Carlos Santana. Expect him to be catching in Cleveland this time next week."

So, there still is hope for a callup in days rather then months.

Ben Badler of Baseball America wrote on Twitter today:

"Best prospect still in the minors? Carlos Santana. Expect him to be catching in Cleveland this time next week."

So, there still is hope for a callup in days rather then months.

Here another posted 27 minutes ago by I have no clue: http://twitter.com/munilot

From Indians Prospects Insiders. Carlos Santana will make MLB debut at home June 15 vs Mets

Apparently, the guy got the info from here: http://www.indiansprospectinsider.com/

Here another posted 27 minutes ago by I have no clue: http://twitter.com/munilot

From Indians Prospects Insiders. Carlos Santana will make MLB debut at home June 15 vs Mets

I found where she got that from and he wrote:

"Not saying I have or have not been told anything, but have good feeling that Carlos Santana will make MLB debut at home June 15 vs Mets." - http://twitter.com/tlastoria/statuses/15793021822

Its just his opinion as is Badler's words.

Either way, it seems to be coming from a legitimate source. I say now is the time people pick this kid up if they don't have him already. If he isn't up by Saturday, it will be disappointing but it seems as if the "Indians Prospect Insider" spoke with tongue in cheek when he mentioned- "Not saying I have or have not been told anything".

Either way, it seems to be coming from a legitimate source. I say now is the time people pick this kid up if they don't have him already. If he isn't up by Saturday, it will be disappointing but it seems as if the "Indians Prospect Insider" spoke with tongue in cheek when he mentioned- "Not saying I have or have not been told anything".

Very True. You have a guy with some sources in the Indians organization as well as Ben Badler, one of the best in the biz liking the chances of a callup next week.

Get him while you can!

I found where she got that from and he wrote:

"Not saying I have or have not been told anything, but have good feeling that Carlos Santana will make MLB debut at home June 15 vs Mets." - http://twitter.com/tlastoria/statuses/15793021822

Its just his opinion as is Badler's words.

If they are concerned with his defense, a debut against the Mets would be a curious decision. They are one of the leaders in stolen bases.

Marson is nothing, he should be a backup catcher and nothing else.

marson hit pretty well throughout his minor league career, at least up until last year..and he's leading the majors in steal percentage having thrown out 16 of 41 baserunners....

marson hit pretty well throughout his minor league career, at least up until last year..and he's leading the majors in steal percentage having thrown out 16 of 41 baserunners....

So hes CLE version of Gerald Laird. Ill take a catcher than can hit and produce runs and throw out 15% of runners over a catcher than cant hit but throws out runners every time.