Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Timmah!

FIFA World Cup Games

FIFA.com has a variety of games for the tournament here: http://www.fifa.com/theclub/index.html

You have to sign up for The Club, which is free, and you'll have access to the following:

- McDonald's WC Fantasy (more on that later)

- Panini Virtual Sticker Album (just like the Topps baseball albums, you collect online stickers and can win a hardcover version)

- FIFA World Football Trivia

- Castrol's Predictor Challenge (looks like the Yahoo game)

- FIFA World Leagues Predictor

- Penalty Shooter (it's um.......okay)

- EA World Cup Online (free and unlimited access to FIFA 2010 World Cup mode)

The Fantasy Game is a salary cap league where you get 140 million dollars to fill out a 23-man squad. You're allowed two players per team, and the both that allowance and the salary cap will expand as the tournament progresses.

You can have leagues that use either Roto (or "Classic") or Head-to-Head formats. If people would like to play and be part of a RW league, let me know, and we'll set one up.

Full rules can be found here: http://en.mcdonalds.fantasy.fifa.com/M/rules.mc

Is anyone interested in playing Fantasy Football ?

I've already got my team up and running. Last day to register is the 11th, before the first game begins.

Is anyone interested in playing Fantasy Football ?

I've already got my team up and running. Last day to register is the 11th, before the first game begins.

My team is set, as well....using every last penny in the process:

GK: Howard, Schwarzer, Myong Guk

D: Terry, Evra, Marquez, Puyol, Assou Ekotto, Belhadj, Nakazawa

M: Dempsey, Diaby, Sneijder, Van der Vaart, Deco, Cahill, De Rossi, Pienaar

F: Villa, Milito, Bendtner, Santa Cruz, Martins

I'm also doing the Sticker Album, and if anyone else out there is working on one, and has found the "Official Slogan" sticker, would you please let me know where you found it? It's the only one I haven't tracked down, and I can't seem to find it anywhere on the site.

Remember that you get just 1 free transfer at the end of every round. Additional ones cost 3 points. So pick a 23 man squad that you KNOW you will use throughout the 3 rounds, targeting just 3 changes in case of injury, or some unforeseen event.

My team:

GK: Julio Cesar, Howard, some North Korean schmuck whose name i can't remember

DEF: Demichelis, Johnson, Chiellini, Belhadj, Figueroa, Torosidis, Ivanovic

MID: Sneijder, Ozil, Krasic, Lampard, Danny, Dempsey, Elliot, Thomas

STR: David Villa, Robinho, Higuain, Alexis Sanchez, Forlan

I'm a football fanatic, having followed the game for more than a decade and i watch matches every week so i'm familiar with 90% of players. If you have any questions about any teams, players, etc. feel free to ask.

Anyone else playing the predictor ? http://en.castrol.predictor.fifa.com/M/home.mc This is easier to participate in, it's basically a 'pick-em' type game. We can get a league going for this if someone is interested.

The bonus point scoring in this game is total BS.

Ugh, don't remind me.....the 1st round went okay, but the 2nd is off to a brutal start.

Marquez seems to be the only guy I've selected who's played up to standard.

How did you do in the first round ?

I am currently ranked a disappointing 30,310 with 253 points.

Squad is basically the same, just 3 transfers - Higuain out for Messi (huge mistake), Danny out for Torres, in round 2. Chiellini out for van der Wiel in round 3.

Glad i can finally select 3 players from the same team...

Slightly worse than you......231 points, all the way down at #115,718. I am ranked 5,318 among Americans, so I'll focus on that B)

I've actually made a slew of moves so far, and am going to go back in and see whom else I can afford. To this point, for Round 4:

Evra > Heinze

Diaby > Pereira

(I should have know better than siding with those numbskulls)

Assou Ekotto > Morel

De Rossi > Ozil

I'm basically trying to cover the different angles; I still have five finished players on the roster and 3 million in the bank to use in replacing them.

Did you play the '06 game through Yahoo? I'd be interested to get your compare/contrast between that one and the game we're playing now.

I remember signing up for that one, but i didn't play after the first round.

The best strategy from this point on, at least for me, is to stack your team according to the most likely results in the upcoming rounds. This is the only time you get free transfers, and you don't want to be spending -3 on every additional one, so make sure you have an idea of which team you might have in the quarters, maybe even in the semis. Easier to plan this way...

For this round, i reckon Brazil and Holland are the safest bets. Brazil should beat Chile and might keep a clean sheet, as Chile still haven't brought back their star striker Suazo, and are quite lax with their finishing so tend not to score much even though they create many chances. Brazil also have the best defence in football at the moment, so i'm keen on having another Brazilian defender in my lineup - cheapest one was Michel Bastos, their left back. Holland should smash Slovakia, especially now that they have their star player Robben back in action. They have been quiet in the tournament so far, and i reckon a big game is around the corner. They will probably keep a clean sheet as well. So i added Robben, and already had Sneijder and van der Wiel. I'll obviously have to make a change when they play each other in the QF, but i want the big payoff right now.

The biggest change i made was dropping Lampard for Andres Iniesta because Lampard tends not to be involved as much in attacking play (even though his scoring has been consistent) and Spain look a pretty safe bet for the semis, although Portugal is going to be a tough opponent, they have enough quality to beat them.

The other thing i did was grabbing two Ghanaian midfielders - K.Asamoah and Andre Ayew. I'll field both of 'em tomorrow when they play the USA. Asamoah plays right behind the striker and the USA have struggled to track midfielders between the lines (Gerrard, Birsa) so i have a feeling he will do alright. Ayew has some speed on that left hand side and has played well in every game. I reckon one of them will score, or get maybe 5 points. I have enough depth in my team to substitute them if they fail, so no risk.

It's all about using the squad and making substitutions regularly to get the 11 highest scoring players. That's why i'm going with the two Ghanaians, Howard in goal (he could score big even if the USA concede) and Forlan up front as captain. It also makes tomorrow's games a lot more interesting.

My full squad:

GK: Julio Cesar BRA, Howard USA, the same North Korean schmuck

DEF: Fucile URU, Demichelis ARG, Upson ENG, van der Wiel HOL, Michel Bastos BRA, a Jap scrub costing 2.1, Figueroa

MID: Ozil GER, Sneijder HOL, Kaka BRA, Iniesta SPA, Asamoah GHA, Ayew GHA, Abe JAP, Thomas

STR: David Villa SPA, Robben HOL, Robinho BRA, Forlan URU, Messi ARG

So how did the Round of 16 treat you?

I actually improved, in spite of the American influence on my lineup. Of course, making Wesley Sneijder the captain was key. I'm now 3,409 among Americans and 76,921 overall with 326 points.

Transfers for the 5th Round:

Donovan > Forlan

Deco > Prince

Howard > Muslera

I'm still holding a free transfer, and have 1.7 left in the bank to spend on someone.....just haven't decided who it will be yet.

Disappointing man...24,733 overall. Up until this morning, i was ranked 9,467 but i didn't make any changes to my team overnight and sure enough, with Spain's win + clean sheet, the average went from 48 to 68, which killed my overall ranking.

I messed up with my decision to make Kaka captain (just 12 points from him) and keeping David Villa and Iniesta on the bench. I didn't expect Spain to win today, to be honest. So my score of 98 could have been higher.

Did my 4 transfers already. Muslera in for Howard (i'll start him instead of Julio Cesar), Sergio Ramos in for Upson, Puyol in for van der Wiel and a cheap Japanese guy in for Asamoah, so i could afford the two Spanish defenders.

I have no clue who to use as captain for this round...currently have it on Robinho, but i really don't know.

Moved up to 15,417 overall with 437 points. Still can't break that top 10,000...

I'm basically screwed now, since i stacked my team with no less than 4 Brazilians, and 2 Argentines. Never expected both teams to get knocked out in the QFs. I won't be able to replace all of them, so bench strength goes out of the window. It's probably not necessary at this stage anyway. Luckily i still have two Dutchmen and Germany's best player on my team...

I slid down to 84,833 and 394 points...3,940 among Americans. Yuck.

As far as the roster is concerned, my faith in Uruguay paid off; I'm also heavily invested in Dutch going into the semis. The Germans and Spaniards still have a presence, but I can use final match transfers to fill out a lineup one way or the other.

The XI: Stekelenburg, M. Pereira, Van Bronckhorst, Lahm, Ozil, A. Pereira, Sneijder, Xavi, Forlan, Kuyt, Villa

Finally broke top 10,000. Now i'm ranked 7,137 going into the final/3rd place round. Making Robben captain and picking two Spanish defenders (Puyol and Sergio Ramos) worked nicely. Bizarrely enough, i still haven't scored 100 points in any of the rounds.

If i stay in the top 10k, it will be a job well done and a good warm-up for my return to Fantasy Premier League...

Finally broke top 10,000. Now i'm ranked 7,137 going into the final/3rd place round. Making Robben captain and picking two Spanish defenders (Puyol and Sergio Ramos) worked nicely. Bizarrely enough, i still haven't scored 100 points in any of the rounds.

If i stay in the top 10k, it will be a job well done and a good warm-up for my return to Fantasy Premier League...

In the Rotoworld Cup, correct? B)

I wish I could say I was in the same realm here, but I'm sitting at 68,488 and 3,077 among Yanks.

I'm thinking that Spain/Netherlands will be kinda tight, so I'm gearing up with Germans and Uruguayans: Neuer, Lahm, Mertesacker, M. Pereira, Sneijder, Xavi, Ozil, A. Pereira, Kuyt, Villa, Forlan

In the Rotoworld Cup, correct? :)

I wish I could say I was in the same realm here, but I'm sitting at 68,488 and 3,077 among Yanks.

I'm thinking that Spain/Netherlands will be kinda tight, so I'm gearing up with Germans and Uruguayans: Neuer, Lahm, Mertesacker, M. Pereira, Sneijder, Xavi, Ozil, A. Pereira, Kuyt, Villa, Forlan

Yeah, i'll make my debut in the Rotoworld Cup... B)

I am fancying Spain to win, so my team is going to be stacked with Spanish players. Already had Puyol, Sergio Ramos, Iniesta, David Villa and i just added Casillas. I'll probably gamble on Fernando Torres as well. He is a great player and i wouldn't be surprised if he came off the bench to grab a goal - could have easily done that yesterday against Germany.

I just hope the Germans and the Uruguayans play full strength teams.

Yeah, i'll make my debut in the Rotoworld Cup... B)

I am fancying Spain to win, so my team is going to be stacked with Spanish players. Already had Puyol, Sergio Ramos, Iniesta, David Villa and i just added Casillas. I'll probably gamble on Fernando Torres as well. He is a great player and i wouldn't be surprised if he came off the bench to grab a goal - could have easily done that yesterday against Germany.

I just hope the Germans and the Uruguayans play full strength teams.

Klose's doubtful, but Lahm expects to play: http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/w...010/8802187.stm

Forlan's thigh is bothering him, but he wants the Golden Boot: http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/w...010/8801005.stm

Well, they didn't play a full strength side but it didn't really hurt me.

Finished 3,887 overall with 623. Good result.

Alas, it didn't end nearly as well for me. I appeared to have the right idea in terms of how the games would play out, but simply didn't pick the right players.

528 points...overall rank of 78,376...USA rank of 4,072

Here's to better luck in Brazil!