Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

2Balls

Abby Sunderland

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/basketball/...vs_N.htm?csp=34

Trying to become youngest to sail around the world.

She was in 20-25 foot waves, and her crew lost contact with her. 2 emergency beacons have been set off, so they're attempting a search and rescue.

There was a lot of debate about whether or not the parents should allow their daughter to do this, and risk so much. I bet their thoughts have changed now.

that's a link to izzo going to cleveland, possibly.

B)

I remember last year when a boy did this and I had a feeling this teenager sailing around the world idea would not turn out well.

Parents breathe sigh of relief as Abby Sunderland located

BoatingOz

Posted: 11 Jun. 2010

Around the world solo sailor Abby Sunderland was this afternoon located by a chartered Qantas jet, 4,000 nautical miles off Western Australia in the Indian Ocean after she activated two distress beacons from her yacht, Wild Eyes, late yesterday.

Australian Maritime Safety Authority (AMSA) spokesman Mick Kinley told Channel 9 news tonight that a fishing boat has been diverted and is making its way towards the 16 year-old experienced sailor, but would not reach her until late tomorrow afternoon.

Sunderland’s parents, Laurence and Marianne, who are living in California, were very relieved their daughter had been found. “Canberra Search and Rescue told me Abby is fine, the rig is down, but the vessel is upright and the weather is abating,” Laurence said in an interview with 2UE late today.

Kinley said personnel aboard the Qantas aircraft had spoken with Abby and told her help was on the way.

Asked if Abby would be able to handle the wait, her father, who lived in Australia for nine years said: “That will be left in the hands of God, mate; I hope so.”

Kinley said he did not know where Abby would be taken by the fishing vessel, or whichever vessel reaches her first. “It depends where her rescuer is headed,” he said.

Questioned as to whether Abby will be fine until rescued, Kinley said: “We’ll be concerned until she’s aboard a rescue vessel and the rescue is complete. We believe she’s safe for now.”

Veteran around the world sailor, Ian Kiernan, was scathing of Abby and her parents tonight, telling Channel 9: “What’s a 16 year-old doing sailing in the Southern Ocean in the middle of winter? It’s great we have adventurers out there, but when they do stupid things – and this is plain stupid – they are endangering their rescuers.”

Sunderland’s parents are reportedly making plans to head to Australia on the next available flight.

Once the located her they should have sent the "Balloon Boy" and his parents in for the rescue.

Once the located her they should have sent the "Balloon Boy" and his parents in for the rescue.

now thats funny....

please tell me the parents are going to be forced to pay for the money spent to go rescue her...

now she's going to write a book.cant wait! but seriously, as a parent, give me any argument possible to allow your 16 old to do this, because i cant see it... to risk your life to accomplish what, exactly? at least she ended up better than Desmond did...