Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ChrisFarley

Which one of these guys is most likely to have a fantasy impact in the future?

Candidates are...

Alan Horne

Radhames Liz

Jack Egbert

Ching Lung Hu

Brandon Jones

Garrett Olson

Kevin Slowey

I'm pretty high on Olson and Jones. How many can you keep? I'm pretty sure Olson will be a starter next year for sure and Jones could get a Sept call up.

if i only had one to pick it'd be horne, mainly cuz he has the most dynamic stuff. i think he's all the way back from his TJ surgery, throwing upwards to 97. hes got a swing and miss pitch with his curveball and he's developing 2-3 other pitches. all those other pitchers, other than liz, have average to slightly above average stuff. slowey has limited upside. egbert could be an above average sinkerballer with limited fantasy impact. olson looks like a typical lefty (kinda reminds me of zach duke). hu doesnt excite me cuz he doesnt flash enough speed or power, although he could be a polanco type (im assuming they shift him to 2b).

brandon jones is a projectable athlete, possible 25-20 guy but he could also turn out to be a #4 OF. i'd like to see how he handles AAA pitching first.

I'd love to say Horne, but he's really blocked on the Yankees.

Hughes, Joba, and Kennedy are ahead of him clearly on the pecking order. Assuming, Wang in the rotation, thats 4. That leaves Pettitte (who said he will only pick up his option if he had a good year, so far he has), Mussina (signed through next year), Horne, Clippard, and Igawa fighting for 1 spot. And you know the Yankees will get another front line veteran if needed (ala Clemens this year), so he's blocked on the Yankees.

The best case scenario for him is to be traded to the National Leauge, where his stuff would be nasty. He still has the 97+ stuff, with a nasty curveball. And yes, he has developed other pitches too. But what he does now is pitch in the 93-95 area (which isn't all that bad), but has much better control of his pitches. He can dial it up when he needs to. He is the BEST prospect I see from your list, but he isn't in the best situation, where you could see him staying in AAA for next year and all.

I see Brandon Jones as the one to have some valuable fantasy effect soon, but Horne sholuld have the most effect, just that he's blocked by better prospects in front of him.