Sign in to follow this  
jockoe

Vincent Jackson 2010 Season Outlook

Does his suspension begin with the first 3 regular season games after he signs his contract, or is it the first 3 games of the season regardless whether he has a contract or not? If it's the first 3 games of the season no matter what then he might as well hold out if the Chargers don't offer him a deal he likes.

1st 3 games of the season even if he holds out

Are you sure?

I seem to recall that Ricky Williams suspension carried over to when he returned to football. That may have been different though as he was talking retirement.

Just don't draft him unless it's a steal in the late rounds.

Guy's a headcase and the situation sucks.

Just don't draft him unless it's a steal in the late rounds.

Guy's a headcase and the situation sucks.

Ditto. If he "comes back" for week 12, then is suspended 3 games, he would make his playing debut during championship week fro most Fantasy leagues.

Ditto. If he "comes back" for week 12, then is suspended 3 games, he would make his playing debut during championship week fro most Fantasy leagues.

Week 12? What? He seems like a steal to me...#1-type WR who will miss just 3 games and can be drafted in the middle rounds...what am I missing here?

Week 12? What? He seems like a steal to me...#1-type WR who will miss just 3 games and can be drafted in the middle rounds...what am I missing here?

I agree completely - why is everyone so down or nervous about this guy? My only concern would be if he got traded and to whom. But considering he is a clear cut #1wr with a top 7 qb in the league throwing to him I think he's a steal in the mid rounds.

I agree completely - why is everyone so down or nervous about this guy?

Because he seems serious about sitting out most of the season?

He sure sounds serious about holding out....BUT....when do guys ever really hold out well into the year??....Hardly ever happens. I would love to get him in the mid rounds, He could easily be a top 5 WR when he comes back. I take that chance in a second...sucks missing the first 3 games but its only 3 games.

Because he seems serious about sitting out most of the season?

Ha, point taken. I guess I was assuming all that would be clear come end of August/beg of September (when my drafts are)...However if he is still holding out by that point, I agree I won't touch him.

This guy is going to crush my Dynasty league this year....LOADED at RB....and was relying on VJax as my WR1.

What an a** he is...i mean seriously, he is already suspended for the DUI. Also this is not his first offense. Goes he not realize that Phil Rivers and the SD offense made him a STUD? For the sake of my Dynasty team i hope he gets a contract and plays for the Chargers this year, but in real life? i hope he holds out and sits the whole year, gets a JUNK contract next year from a garbage team with no QB....then we will see the DUI's really start to pile up for this 'Dult

I hear ya man. I drafted VJax in 5th round of my dynasty, and regretting it badly.

I hear ya man. I drafted VJax in 5th round of my dynasty, and regretting it badly.

At what round would you pull the trigger? 6th? 7th? At some point, you have to go with his upside right? Or is his situation that serious?

At what round would you pull the trigger? 6th? 7th? At some point, you have to go with his upside right? Or is his situation that serious?

I don't touch him until I have at least three WRs already drafted ... probably 8th round at earliest. I think he will sit out the first 10 games, and unless I hear differently prior to my draft he's someone who will be on my Do Not Draft list. Chargers seem to be in a bit of disarray, but they'll still win the division as there isn't much competition.

I'm a charger fan and I can't believe that they haven't resigned some of the key offensive guys. The owner is being a stingy mofo who wants to wait for the CBA and he's going to lose his gamebreakers.

Then are we not talking about Malcolm Floyd enough? It seems like he's a legit #1 option now with a top 7 QB.

ESPN's Adam Schefter reports that Shawne Merriman plans to report to Chargers camp this weekend.

He'll sign his $3.269M tender, confirming his intent to immediately resume practicing. Merriman is coming off an awful season in which he had just four sacks, and went sack-less in 14-of-16 games, his burst almost totally gone. After a two-week training camp holdout and an offseason-long absence, we wouldn't be so sure Merriman will regain his starting job from Larry English. Aug. 11 - 8:02 pm et

well this was just reported...there goes one down from the tripod (mcneil, merriman, and jackson)...anyone think jackson will sign now or does he still look to hold out??

ESPN's Adam Schefter reports that Shawne Merriman plans to report to Chargers camp this weekend.

He'll sign his $3.269M tender, confirming his intent to immediately resume practicing. Merriman is coming off an awful season in which he had just four sacks, and went sack-less in 14-of-16 games, his burst almost totally gone. After a two-week training camp holdout and an offseason-long absence, we wouldn't be so sure Merriman will regain his starting job from Larry English. Aug. 11 - 8:02 pm et

well this was just reported...there goes one down from the tripod (mcneil, merriman, and jackson)...anyone think jackson will sign now or does he still look to hold out??

VJax could indeed swallow his pride and sign, but there's one difference here between him and Merriman ... Shawne had zero other options. No other teams wanted him, and he realizes that if he wants to play football it will be for the Chargers, at a lower price.

VJax can still play, and whether it's with the Chargers or someone else (via trade) he can still put up excellent numbers. So he has a bit more leverage than Merriman, who knew the clock was ticking down.

VJax could indeed swallow his pride and sign, but there's one difference here between him and Merriman ... Shawne had zero other options. No other teams wanted him, and he realizes that if he wants to play football it will be for the Chargers, at a lower price.

VJax can still play, and whether it's with the Chargers or someone else (via trade) he can still put up excellent numbers. So he has a bit more leverage than Merriman, who knew the clock was ticking down.

At what point is this guy worth the risk? Obviously a huge reward if he returns...but just doesn't look good right now.

I don't think VJax plays for SD this year, at all. SD's GM is the biggest idiot in football. He thinks he's some kind of cool guy, bad arse for taking this hardline on players when he is really a dolt. If I was a Chargers fan, I would be calling for his head.

That said, they should just go ahead and trade VJax to the Redskins. This is Dan Snyder we're talking about, he would likely be willing to give full value and more to get him.

Kevin Acee of the San Diego Union-Tribune believes there is "verrrry little chance" unsigned restricted free agents Vincent Jackson and Marcus McNeill play a snap for the Chargers this season.

Acee notes that V-Jax and McNeill would earn just $200K for playing the final six games, and it isn't worth it with both ticketed for 2011 free agency. In particular, "Vincent Jackson is not part of the plan," writes Acee, who does allow some possibility of a deal being brokered with McNeill. We recently bumped V-Jax's projection from 12 games to 10, but it's probably still too much. He'd be hard to pick before the late rounds in a re-draft league at this point

Ouch!! Starting to look real bad for Vjax owners

Kevin Acee of the San Diego Union-Tribune believes there is "verrrry little chance" unsigned restricted free agents Vincent Jackson and Marcus McNeill play a snap for the Chargers this season.

Acee notes that V-Jax and McNeill would earn just $200K for playing the final six games, and it isn't worth it with both ticketed for 2011 free agency. In particular, "Vincent Jackson is not part of the plan," writes Acee, who does allow some possibility of a deal being brokered with McNeill. We recently bumped V-Jax's projection from 12 games to 10, but it's probably still too much. He'd be hard to pick before the late rounds in a re-draft league at this point

Ouch!! Starting to look real bad for Vjax owners

As Expresso stated......We really should be talking about Malcolm Floyd more. Because of the CBA deal and circumstance, VJax is an enormous, enormous risk......

Crap. This guy was one of my keepers for this year and it looks like he's not going to play.

Who is the guy to own now? Nanee or Floyd?

Crap. This guy was one of my keepers for this year and it looks like he's not going to play.

Who is the guy to own now? Nanee or Floyd?

I think both are great sleeper picks. I'd lean towards Floyd a hair as he has more experience and player more last year, but both won't cost you much and Nanee is one of my deep league sleepers.....He's on the WW in most leagues...

The Chargers have granted the Seahawks permission to discuss contract terms with unsigned and disgruntled wide receiver Vincent Jackson.

The story is confirmed by Seahawks GM John Schneider, so it's definitely legit. Yahoo's Jason Cole admits that "no significant progress has occurred to this point," sources say Chargers GM A.J. Smith is now "committed" to trading Jackson. The Bolts are convinced he will not play for them this year. The Seahawks have obviously been displeased with Deion Branch, and T.J. Houshmandzadeh is hardly a difference maker anymore. Jackson would give the team a bonafide deep threat who also dominates in the red zone and running game as a blocker. Aug. 20 - 5:53 pm et

interesting develpment.