Sign in to follow this  
jockoe

Vincent Jackson 2010 Season Outlook

1. Get 2 offseason DUI's.

2. Get 3 game league suspension.

3. Hold out for more money

4. ???

5. Profit!

This foolproof gameplan brought to you by www.how-to-negotiate-from-a-position-of-weakness.org

Idiot.

Taking a flier on him around rounds 10-12 in leagues with 6 bench spots. I figure he's worth the risk at that point to really give your team a late season boost if he ever gets his act together. I just cant see him sitting out the entire season, but as a charger fan at this point it wouldnt even surprise me.

Taking a flier on him around rounds 10-12 in leagues with 6 bench spots. I figure he's worth the risk at that point to really give your team a late season boost if he ever gets his act together. I just cant see him sitting out the entire season, but as a charger fan at this point it wouldnt even surprise me.

+1. I got him in the 13th round of my 12 teamer--(I have Miles Austin, Dwayne, Bowe, and Jeremy Maclin as my 3 starters

I gambled on him way way too early (6th round in a 14-teamer), but oh well. Here's to hoping he at least plays half the year.

Kevin Acee of the San Diego Union-Tribune has "heard speculation...from an NFL person" that the Rams will call the Chargers about the availability of unsigned restricted free agent Vincent Jackson.

With Donnie Avery on I.R. and Keenan Burton (knee) shut down, now is the time if the Rams are going to make a move. Acee does make it clear that this is not a report and only "speculation," but confirms that "more than Seattle has called" about Jackson. In a wide-open NFC West, the Rams could take a big jump with an improved passing attack. It doesn't hurt that V-Jax would also help Steven Jackson as one of the NFL's top run-blocking wideouts.

I don't see any way he sits all year. The Chargers would be epic idiots to let him just walk for nothing. May as well trade him and get a fairly high draft pick out of him. There have to be at least one or two WR needy teams willing to pay VJax enough to get him to sign. Washington seems like such a perfect fit, but apparently the Rams are interested right now.

Edited by dukenole

I don't see any way he sits all year. The Chargers would be epic idiots to let him just walk for nothing. May as well trade him and get a fairly high draft pick out of him. There have to be at least one or two WR needy teams willing to pay VJax enough to get him to sign. Washington seems like such a perfect fit, but apparently the Rams are interested right now.

From Rotoworld - Kevin Acee of the San Diego Union-Tribune has "heard speculation...from an NFL person" that the Rams will call the Chargers about the availability of unsigned restricted free agent Vincent Jackson.

With Donnie Avery on I.R. and Keenan Burton (knee) shut down, now is the time if the Rams are going to make a move. Acee does make it clear that this is not a report and only "speculation," but confirms that "more than Seattle has called" about Jackson. In a wide-open NFC West, the Rams could take a big jump with an improved passing attack. It doesn't hurt that V-Jax would also help Steven Jackson as one of the NFL's top run-blocking wideouts.

I know its only speculation, but thats all us early drafters have to go on. Please, god, please let it happen by Saturday. Itd be good for the Rams and the Chargers.

well if the rams do get him it will be the first time they invested in a wr for sometime...I think they might considering the new owner and all or at least thats the rumblings Im hearing (in the stl area)

I like the Rams idea better than the Seahawks at least. The Rams actually have someone to fear (SJax) on thier offense. VJax is a mistake eraser too as a WR - just throw it in his vicinity and he'll get it more often than not. Bradford has more arm strength than Hasselbeck.

At this stage in the game, is there any reason not to get Vincent Jackson on your roster if he's a free agent in your league? When playing he's a top 10 WR, a 3-game suspension isn't bad at all for a guy you can get for "free" and we should have a pretty good idea by this weekend whether he's really serious on sitting out the whole year. If he's not, there's a good chance a deal is done by Saturday. Why not pick him up for a few days and, worst case, drop him again on Sunday if nothing pans out?

At this stage in the game, is there any reason not to get Vincent Jackson on your roster if he's a free agent in your league? When playing he's a top 10 WR, a 3-game suspension isn't bad at all for a guy you can get for "free" and we should have a pretty good idea by this weekend whether he's really serious on sitting out the whole year. If he's not, there's a good chance a deal is done by Saturday. Why not pick him up for a few days and, worst case, drop him again on Sunday if nothing pans out?

Well the short answer is he shouldnt be a free agent in ANY league. At the very least, he's a late round flier in a redraft. Keeper leagues he's 100% getting drafted. So yea if he's a FA, definitely pick him up. And i wouldnt call him a top 10 WR either. Top 15-20 is more accurate

Well the short answer is he shouldnt be a free agent in ANY league. At the very least, he's a late round flier in a redraft. Keeper leagues he's 100% getting drafted. So yea if he's a FA, definitely pick him up. And i wouldnt call him a top 10 WR either. Top 15-20 is more accurate

Technically he was 11th in one of my leagues last year and 12th in my other so maybe the truth is somewhere in between but given how well he came out of the gate laste year I'm sure he's got top 10 potential while he's in the lineup.

I just snagged him off of waivers in one league (Granted a 10-team league). A recent Rotoworld update indicated something along the lines of drafting him in the late rounds "if at all" and Yahoo has him ranked at 58 among receivers behind the likes of James Jones, Kevin Walter and Austin Collie...I have to think there are a few leagues out there where he's available although I totally agree with you that he shouldn't be.

Chargers want a 2011 2nd round pick....and a 2012 3rd round pick for Jackson.

IMO thats not too much to ask, i think something gets done in the next couple days.

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpag...NFL&id=3202

haha i hope so or else i wasted a 13th round pick on him in my 10 team and i believe a 9th round pick in my 12 team when we drafted august somewhere around august 16th

haha i hope so or else i wasted a 13th round pick on him in my 10 team and i believe a 9th round pick in my 12 team when we drafted august somewhere around august 16th

Same for me. My league drafts the weekend of the Hall of Fame game, and I took him in the 7th. But it is a PPR keeper league, so even if he doesnt play this year, hell have trade value at the end of the year or at next years draft for me.

Either way, I dont think the Chargers demands are unreasonable at all, especially considering that the Dolphins gave up the exact same picks for Marshall. Hopefully the Rams get it done, but at this point, I dont care if he ends up on any of the teams rumored to be interested in him (the Seahawks, Vikings, etc). I just need him on a roster.

Same for me. My league drafts the weekend of the Hall of Fame game, and I took him in the 7th. But it is a PPR keeper league, so even if he doesnt play this year, hell have trade value at the end of the year or at next years draft for me.

Either way, I dont think the Chargers demands are unreasonable at all, especially considering that the Dolphins gave up the exact same picks for Marshall. Hopefully the Rams get it done, but at this point, I dont care if he ends up on any of the teams rumored to be interested in him (the Seahawks, Vikings, etc). I just need him on a roster.

same here but now i think something might happen since the seahawks are trying to trade housh

No team is gonna pick up Housh, not for $7m guaranteed

Lets talk hypothetically....Housh gtes bought out....Seattle trades and signs Vjax. Can Hasselbeck get him the ball? I know he has always been accurate, but how about the arm strength? I know Vjax going ANYWHERE is obviously better for his fantasy production, but could he be a fantasy WR1 in Seattle?

Could he be? I believe so. I personally have my doubts, as he would be jumping to a new team and learning a new offense. Him on a new offense wouldn't scare me from not picking him up if he would happen to be on a waiver wire by chance. He's too good of a talent. If you're the type of person that would own Fitzgerald with the quarterbacks HE'S dealing with, you should have no problem owning Jackson with Hasselbeck. WR1? I dunno, maybe low end.

Could he be? I believe so. I personally have my doubts, as he would be jumping to a new team and learning a new offense. Him on a new offense wouldn't scare me from not picking him up if he would happen to be on a waiver wire by chance. He's too good of a talent. If you're the type of person that would own Fitzgerald with the quarterbacks HE'S dealing with, you should have no problem owning Jackson with Hasselbeck. WR1? I dunno, maybe low end.

well you figure he will have 3 weeks to immerse himself into the playbook if he does get traded. And if Seattle did reward him, I could see him out to prove a point.

Also w Hasselback throwing, he is smart enough to know when its 1 on 1 coverage. With Jackson, just throw the ball up and let him get. at 6'5" theres not many cornerbacks that can cover him

Most likely 3 things will happen

1) he catches it

2) pass interference

3) incomplete pass

well you figure he will have 3 weeks to immerse himself into the playbook if he does get traded. And if Seattle did reward him, I could see him out to prove a point.

Also w Hasselback throwing, he is smart enough to know when its 1 on 1 coverage. With Jackson, just throw the ball up and let him get. at 6'5" theres not many cornerbacks that can cover him

Most likely 3 things will happen

1) he catches it

2) pass interference

3) incomplete pass

you can say that about any WR, those are the outcomes of every pass regardless of who is catching it, nothing special here

you can say that about any WR, those are the outcomes of every pass regardless of who is catching it, nothing special here

very true...however not many WR's are 6'5" that create a serious matuchp problem if its 1 on 1. You throw a jump ball to him in the endzone, he is going to give any CB fits

Another possible outcome is an interception...

Edited by hoclau

As a fan of football, I hope V-Jax gets traded and plays this year. I do root for the Chargers, But he is fun to watch and would be a good fit in Sea.

very true...however not many WR's are 6'5" that create a serious matuchp problem if its 1 on 1. You throw a jump ball to him in the endzone, he is going to give any CB fits

true, but big doesn't mean elite. he is a nice WR2 and nothing more

last season was by far his best and he still hasn't managed a season with at least 70 recpts. and this was on a team that was passing the ball a lot and he is the top WR option, and it' wasn't like gates and floyd cut into his production, with only 79 and 45 recpts each