Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

cyberer

Wilson Ramos C WAS

I did not see a thread for this guy. I am looking to fill a MiLB roster in my main league and I came across this guy. He seems to be a hot commodity in trade talks. Does anyone know what his ceiling would look like? I already have buster posey in tow for my team, but a glut of catchers isn't necessarily a bad thing.

A quick visit to fangraphs has the following:

"The Venezuela native isn’t far from being MLB-ready after hitting .317/.341/.454 in ’09 at double-A. Ramos has always hit for a solid average, but he’s also consistently produced healthy BABIPs, although many catchers suffer from chronically-low numbers in that area (due to a lack of foot speed). A catcher with raw power, he has nonetheless failed to post an ISO above .149 in his four-year career. Ramos also posted a walk rate of just 2.8% in ’09, so that obviously has to improve and he typically walks about 7.0%. His strikeout rate plummeted from 22.8% in ’08 to 11.2% in ’09, but injuries took a chunk out of his season and he had just 214 plate appearances. We’ll have to wait for 2010 to see if that was a true adjustment, or a small-sample-size blip. Behind the dish, Ramos has thrown out +40% in each of the past three seasons."

I did not see a thread for this guy. I am looking to fill a MiLB roster in my main league and I came across this guy. He seems to be a hot commodity in trade talks. Does anyone know what his ceiling would look like? I already have buster posey in tow for my team, but a glut of catchers isn't necessarily a bad thing.

A quick visit to fangraphs has the following:

"The Venezuela native isn't far from being MLB-ready after hitting .317/.341/.454 in '09 at double-A. Ramos has always hit for a solid average, but he's also consistently produced healthy BABIPs, although many catchers suffer from chronically-low numbers in that area (due to a lack of foot speed). A catcher with raw power, he has nonetheless failed to post an ISO above .149 in his four-year career. Ramos also posted a walk rate of just 2.8% in '09, so that obviously has to improve and he typically walks about 7.0%. His strikeout rate plummeted from 22.8% in '08 to 11.2% in '09, but injuries took a chunk out of his season and he had just 214 plate appearances. We'll have to wait for 2010 to see if that was a true adjustment, or a small-sample-size blip. Behind the dish, Ramos has thrown out +40% in each of the past three seasons."

I think Ramos is the type of guy that will be much more valuable to his actual team than his fantasy owners. His real value as a fantasy prospect is the fact that he seems like an absolute lock to remain at catcher, unlike a lot of the top catching prospects in baseball that may move to 1B/DH (Montero, Santana, Posey, Wieters, Myers etc). He wont get you much in terms of power numbers, steals, or OBP...but he'll probably hit between .280 and .300. In other words, I see him as a mid-tier catcher in fantasy circles -- somebody that wont hurt you, but wont help you all that much....probably a guy similar to Yadier Molina.

Thats my take anyways. I've actually got him in a dynasty and am trying to move him since I have Wil Myers and just acquired Santana (hence the avatar B)) ....but I'm not finding many takers because his ceiling is pretty low.

From RotoWorld:

Wilson Ramos was scratched from Thursday's lineup at Triple-A Rochester and may be involved in a pending trade.

The Twins are known to be in talks with the Nationals for right-handed reliever Matt Capps and Ramos would make some sense as a return chip. The 22-year-old catcher hit .296/.321/.407 with three doubles in seven games for the Twins back in early May but he has a .625 OPS in 278 at-bats for Rochester.

Can't believe the nats found someone to bite this hard on capps. Interesting move considering the Nationals have Norris as their "catcher of the future."

Can't believe the nats found someone to bite this hard on capps. Interesting move considering the Nationals have Norris as their "catcher of the future."

Prospect catchers are so erratic, it's better to have more than one I guess. Regardless, too hard to pass on a deal like that. Now, let's see what they can get for Adam Dunn.