Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Timmah!

2010/11 Rotoworld Cup

It's time to renew the rivalries and get the Rotoworld Cup back in gear!

Just as in the past, we use the Fantasy Premier League game from the Official Barclay's Premier League site. Play begins on August 14th, and registration is now open.

Teams are selected through the Pool format and with a 100 million salary cap for a 15-man roster. You can select up to three players from each EPL team, and during the season, can make one free transfer each week (additional cost 4 points). You also get a Wild Card, which allows you to make unlimited free transfers for one Gameweek.

EDIT: I didn't realize it at the time, but a second Wild Card has been added in order to help owners deal with potential losses in the January Transfer Window. Additionally, you can now carry-over an unused transfer to the following Gameweek.

Each Gameweek, you set a lineup, and prioritize substitutes. If any starters don't play, the subs will automatically be entered into the lineup in their place.

Go here first and set up your team: http://fantasy.premierleague.com

Once you've done that, go to the "Leagues" section on your team page and enter in this code to join our competition: 189264-53326

Stats involved:

For playing in a game = 1

For playing at least 60 minutes in a game = 2

For each goal scored by your goalkeeper or defenders = 6

For each goal scored by your midfielders = 5

For each goal scored by your forwards = 4

For each goal assist = 3

For your goalkeeper / defender conceding 0 goals (must also play at least 60 minutes) = 4

For your midfielder conceding 0 goals (must also play at least 60 minutes) = 1

For every 3 shot saves made by your goalkeeper = 1

For every penalty save = 5

For every penalty miss = -2

Bonus points for the best players in a match = 1-3

For every 2 goals conceded by your goalkeeper or defenders = -1

For every yellow card = -1

For every red card (includes any yellow card points) = -3

For every own goal -2

Any questions? Simply reply to this thread, or PM me.....Good luck!

Do you need to set up your roster before you can join a league? I set up a team but when I click the leagues link it takes me back to my team.

Nevermind...I found it. You do have to fill out your roster first. But you can change it until the first match (Aug. 14).

Do you need to set up your roster before you can join a league? I set up a team but when I click the leagues link it takes me back to my team.

I would do so, yes. I picked my players immediately, then renewed the league. You may simply need a team first.

Among the tabs on the left side of the page is the "Pundit" tab; it has add/drop tips and player touts every week. Right now, it offers a primer on basic roster construction and how you can work in some of the bigger names.

If, after picking players, you still can't get in, send me a PM with your email, and I'll send an invite.

We're 1 week away from opening kickoff of the 2010/11 season.

If you've been thinking about joining but haven't done so, now's the time to do it!

First time player using the Fantasy Premier League site.

Newbie question: When setting up my team is there any reason to have money saved after all players are selected. I have been noodling with players and usually end up at zero remaining in my budget. I was told by a friend not to leave any money on the table. What is the typical strategy with your budget of 100 lbs? Spend all of it or save a few for future transfers?

First time player using the Fantasy Premier League site.

Newbie question: When setting up my team is there any reason to have money saved after all players are selected. I have been noodling with players and usually end up at zero remaining in my budget. I was told by a friend not to leave any money on the table. What is the typical strategy with your budget of 100 lbs? Spend all of it or save a few for future transfers?

Spend every last penny. It's hard enough to build a good team with 100, let alone 97 or 98. 

The only reason you wouldn't want to, is if you plan on getting someone a few weeks later. For example, this season, the best left back in the league - Patrice Evra - may not play against Newcastle on Monday. He costs 7.5. If you really want him, you could keep an extra 2.0 or whatever in reserve and use your free transfer on him once he starts training again. 

Spend every last penny. It's hard enough to build a good team with 100, let alone 97 or 98.

The only reason you wouldn't want to, is if you plan on getting someone a few weeks later. For example, this season, the best left back in the league - Patrice Evra - may not play against Newcastle on Monday. He costs 7.5. If you really want him, you could keep an extra 2.0 or whatever in reserve and use your free transfer on him once he starts training again.

I usually do the same, but I currently have 2.5 in the bank. I took predator's advice and transferred out Richard Dunne and Ashley Young, and in the process of adding John Terry and Matty Taylor, saved money.

I like to spread my money across the positions, feel out the start of the season, and then use whatever reserves (plus profits earned) to fatten up as the season progresses. Not only that, but if a high profile player gets hurt, or transferred out of the league (still a possibility, at least for a couple more weeks), then you have his value, plus what you have saved, to replace him.

We're coming up on one of my favorite fantasy seasons......I may just get up at 7:30 on Saturday for espn's match.

Less than 48 hours 'til kickoff.......

We've got Seven in, and room for more - there's 35 in one of my Sons of Ben leagues, 27 in another. Bring it on! B)

I usually do the same, but I currently have 2.5 in the bank. I took predator's advice and transferred out Richard Dunne and Ashley Young, and in the process of adding John Terry and Matty Taylor, saved money.

I like to spread my money across the positions, feel out the start of the season, and then use whatever reserves (plus profits earned) to fatten up as the season progresses. Not only that, but if a high profile player gets hurt, or transferred out of the league (still a possibility, at least for a couple more weeks), then you have his value, plus what you have saved, to replace him.

We're coming up on one of my favorite fantasy seasons......I may just get up at 7:30 on Saturday for espn's match.

Ashley Young might still be worth it because he does well every single season and is one of the best left wingers in the Premier League. Dunne is incredibly overpriced though, so getting rid of him was a good move. 

I'm thinking about getting up at around 6:30, just to finalize my lineup. That's pretty sad. 

Ashley Young might still be worth it because he does well every single season and is one of the best left wingers in the Premier League. Dunne is incredibly overpriced though, so getting rid of him was a good move.

I'm thinking about getting up at around 6:30, just to finalize my lineup. That's pretty sad.

I'm back and forth with Ashley....the upside is huge, but the production has been there. It's really hard not to notice the declining Goal totals.

Dunne did well for me last year, and I can't complain too much about him, but I want to go more aggressive on Defense this year, and Leighton Baines is an assist machine. Now if Everton could just get off to a good start for once.....

I'm almost definitely getting up early; the Missus and I are buying a new computer tomorrow, and I want to be able to at least see some of the action.

NYFC took the pole position in the table with a 51-point effort this past weekend. 2nd through 7th place is fairly tightly contested, with only 5 points separating them.

The league overall opened the season ranked 142,901 out of 184,827, so there's some work to do, folks!

Much of Gameweek 2 will be played on Saturday. ESPN2 has Arsenal/Blackpool at 10am and Man City/Liverpool on Monday at 3pm.

FSC has Everton/Wolves at 10am, Wigan/Chelsea at 12pm, and a West Ham/Bolton replay at 2:30pm. On Sunday, they have Fulham/Man United at 11am.

I might have done better if I hadn't left Eduardo in my lineup and Cole on my bench.

NYFC once again paced the crowd with an 81-point showing that allowed him to expand his lead. Even with 60-point showings in their own right, Needle, Swanky and Chargers could only watch themselves fall a little further behind.

The high scores allowed the league to jump up the overall rankings, and is now ranked 102,385 out of 194,948. Still a long way to go to get back where we finished last season, but we're on the way!

The entire Gameweek 3 slate will be played on Saturday and Sunday, For the second week in a row, Arsenal is featured on ESPN2, when they face Blackburn on Saturday morning at 7:45am.

Thanks to FSC, there will be a triple-header on Saturday; after Arsenal/Blackburn, we can switch over to catch Tottenham/Wigan at 10am and Manchester United/West Ham at 12:30pm. They'll have the top match of the week on Sunday, as Aston Villa tries to rebound from the humiliation at Newcastle last weekend when they face Everton at 11am.

Horrible start for me as usual. Will get better though.

Need Wayne Rooney to find his form...i can't have a stud laying eggs for me every week.

Six points from four players, including my Captain.

Un-freaking believable........

Good week for me, but a real boneheaded move in spending my free transfer on getting Lennon (3 pts) and removing Nani (who scored 14 points).

Making some progress though.

Hoping for Albrighton to do something big tomorrow for Villa...

Swanky and Granicar took high honors for Gameweek 3, as both landed on 59 points. NYFC finished fourth for the week, and saw his lead over Swanky - who moved into 2nd with their performance - slip to 8 points.

The league took a tumble in the process, and is now ranked 115,361 out of 200,071.

We're going to take a break over Labor Day weekend, as international competition will rule the day. League play will resume during the weekend of September 11. Here's the full league table as we all pause:

1 NYFC ........................... 179

2 Swanky Primadonnas ..... 171

3 Needle FC ..................... 162

4 Back of the Net .............. 142

5 CB Chargers FC .............. 139

6 Pittsboro Steelers ........... 131

7 Granicar ........................ 118

Back in action tomorrow.....thank the maker! B) Here's the TV schedule, starting with Fox:

Saturday, 10am - Arsenal/Bolton; 12pm - West Brom/Spurs (replay); 11:30pm - Fulham/Wolves (replay)

Sunday, 11am - Birmingham/Liverpool

On ESPN.....

Saturday, 10am - West Ham/Chelsea

Monday, 3pm - Stoke City/Aston Villa

Points through Gameweek 4:

1 NYFC ------------------------ 51 = 230

2 Swanky Primadonnas ------- 52 = 223

3 Needle FC ------------------- 43 = 205

4 Back of the Net ------------- 46 = 188

5 Granicar -------------------- 69 = 187

6 CB Chargers FC ------------- 42 = 181

7 Pittsboro Steelers ---------- 45 = 176

Granicar took high honors for the week with a showing that allowed him to surge out of the cellar and into 5th. Swanky inched closer to the top of the table. Chargers and Steelers may need to make some changes if they don't want to fall too far off the pace.

The league not only made up all of the ground lost in week 3, but reached it's greatest height thus far this season, as it's now ranked 96,872 out of 205,653. We're still pretty far off our final position for last season, but we're moving in the right direction!

Ordinarily, I'd be telling you that Man United/Liverpool is the featured match of the week, but the Reds are struggling along in 13th place, and United isn't faring that much better - 3rd place, but have earned a mere 8 points in four matches, and while that doesn't seem bad, consider that 6 of those points, and their entire +6 goal differential has been earned at Home.

Instead, lets talk about the visit of 4th place upstart Blackpool to Stamford Bridge to face the clear class of the league, Chelsea. The Blues have allowed ONE goal and four matches, while scoring 17. Blackpool have won two of three on the road in the early going, so they aren't likely to be intimidated.

Overall, a mere 5 points separate 4th and 19th places, so the table could look very different this time Sunday.

I'll be back later in the week to preview the TV schedule, but in the meantime, how about a discussion on early season Good and Bad for our clubs......I'll start:

The Good: Gareth Bale scored a pair in Week 2 (including a Goal of the Year candidate), and has twice been Man of the Match. Scott Carson has provided decent value, albeit on my bench

The Bad: Pretty much everything else. Frank Lampard got off to a decent start, but then got hurt. Everyone else has lost value from the time I brought them in, from Carlos Tevez to Tim Howard.

I would say that there's nowhere to go but up, but damn.......

A horrendous start, still ranked really low but i'm making some progress every week. As long as that continues, i'm not too bothered.

It's all a matter of ONE big week - i get that week, and i'll shoot into the 20,000s or thereabouts. After that, holding onto the lead is easy.

I haven't made too many changes since the start, but the biggest blunder was definitely transferring Nani out for Lennon before he had a 15 pt week against West Ham at home.

Antonio Valencia broke his leg and is out for the season, so upgrade Nani. Ji Sung Park might be worth a flier too, as he might start on the other flank more regularly. He is costing just 5.2. Nani is going to be a big player for the rest of the season now.

I would buy him, but i'm currently owning Fabregas (brought him in when Lampard was going to miss this weekend) and with Lampard becoming fit, i'm considering whether to sell Rooney and bring Lamps into my midfield. Bale, Lampard, Fabregas in one midfield could be really handy, especially with Arsenal having some easy games at home soon.

Some players i'm watching with a lot of interest right now:

- Ivanovic. Chelsea right back's price is falling a lot from 7.0. He is a great player, i would love to buy him cheap.

- Bosingwa. Another right back at Chelsea. Even cheaper, price under 6.0. If there is an injury to Alex (likely) than Ivanovic steps in at CB and Bosingwa might slot in at RB. He is still coming back from injury, but watch this space. Great player, was amazing in 2008/09.

- Kenwyne Jones. Under 7.0. Good value, he is basically the perfect striker for Stoke's style of play (long balls downfield). I'm liking him for 10 goals and 10 assists this season

- Adam Johnson. Brilliant winger at Man City, just 6.5. Starting to play every single game now.

- Liverpool defenders. Cheap, with good schedule in upcoming weeks, high possibility of clean sheets.

As promised, here's the weekend TV slate.....

Fox Soccer Channel:

Saturday, 10am: Tottenham v. Wolves

Saturday, 12:30pm: Sunderland v. Arsenal

Saturday, 5pm: Blackburn v. Fulham (taped)

Sunday, 11am: Chelsea v. Blackpool

ESPN has one match, Saturday morning at 7:45am, Stoke City v. West Ham.

The updated numbers.......

1 NYFC ----------------------------- 71 = 301

2 Swanky Primadonnas ---------- 63 = 282

3 Needle FC ----------------------- 69 = 274

4 CB Chargers FC ---------------- 59 = 240

5 Back of the Net ----------------- 51 = 239

6 Granicar ------------------------- 46 = 233

7 Pittsboro Steelers -------------- 53 = 229

NYFC extended their lead to nineteen by pacing the group in week 5. Needle and Chargers both gained, at least points-wise; Needle did it by producing, Chargers got help.

The league is ranked 79,352 out of 207,029.

Almost forgot....

Tomorrow on FSC, there's Arsenal/West Brom at 10am, and then taped airings of West Ham/Tottenham (12pm) and Birmingham/Wigan (5pm). On Sunday, they have Newcastle/Stoke City at 11am.

Get ready to wake up early tomorrow, as ESPN2 has the marquee match of the weekend with Man City and Chelsea squaring off at 7:45am.

1 NYFC -------------------------- 34 = 335

2 Needle FC -------------------- 56 = 326

3 Swanky Primadonnas ------- 34 = 312

4 CB Chargers FC -------------- 69 = 309

5 Granicar ---------------------- 52 = 285

6 Back of the Net -------------- 36 = 275

7 Pittsboro Steelers ----------- 37 = 266

After five weeks, Chargers finally showed up to play, and in the process, greatly narrowed the gap between 1st and 4th. Needle lurched into 2nd, and shaved NYFC's lead to single-digits.

The league made further gains in the overall standings, and is now ranked 61,892 out of 209,552. We're in the top 29%, and climbling at a nice pace.

There's going to be a break in between Gameweeks 7 and 8, and as a send-off, the schedule makes provided a handful potentially very entertaining matches: on Saturday, #8 Tottenham hosts #5 Aston Villa. On Sunday, resurgent Newcastle visits #4 Man City, and #1 Chelsea takes on #3 Arsenal at Stamford Bridge.