Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

SS Express

Yunesky Maya SP WAS

The Nationals made it official by signing Yunesky Maya and adding him to the 40-man roster. We have heard a lot of great things about this guy and from what has been written, he has potential to be a real impact pitcher. I'm not sure if there is a thread on him, but I coudn't find one through searching. So if not, here it is.

This from CBSSports.com today...

News: The Nationals agreed to terms with right-handed pitcher Yunesky Maya on a major-league contract, adding him to their 40-man roster. Maya, 28, pitched for Cuba in the 2006 and 2009 World Baseball Classics, going a combined 1-1 with a 0.87 ERA (1 ER/10 1/3 IP) in six games/one start. GM Mike Rizzo told the Washington Post Maya is the Nationals' "first major international signing that we think is going to impact our major-league ballclub immediately." Maya joins the Nationals after a stellar career in the Cuban National Series, which is Cuba's Major League Baseball equivalent. Pitching for the Pinar Del Rio Vegueros, Maya earned Cuba's equivalent of the Cy Young during his final season in his homeland, going 13-4 with seven complete games and a 2.22 ERA. During his six-year career with Pinar del Rio, Maya went 48-29 with a 2.51 ERA.

Analysis: Maya's advanced age of 28 and the Nationals statement he can help immediately gives us hope in Fantasy he might be a candidate to start before the end of the season. He warrants a flier in NL-only leagues right now and might even be able to impact mixed formats in Fantasy crunch time -- even as a rotation member for the lowly Nationals. He is a strike-thrower and an elite Cuban pitcher in his prime. For all of you that own Aroldis Chapman, Maya is the more polished option for 2010 and '11. "He's a terrific, poised, capable, major league-caliber pitcher," Rizzo told the paper. "Some of the most successful organizations would like to sign him and put him directly into their rotation. We're one of them."

Good topic. I've followed Maya since he defected, and it'll be interesting to see how he performs. His numbers in the Cuban League were much better than Aroldis Chapman, but Cuban League pitching numbers are difficult to translate because most of the pitchers don't rely on huge strikeout totals. He throws a fastball in the low-90's and offers several decent secondary pitches.

My guess is he'll be a 3-4 starter who should arrive quickly. After Strasburg, the Nationals rotation next season (Jordan Zimmerman, Livan, Maya, Scott Olsen?) has the chance of being really good or astonishingly bad.

Good topic. I've followed Maya since he defected, and it'll be interesting to see how he performs. His numbers in the Cuban League were much better than Aroldis Chapman, but Cuban League pitching numbers are difficult to translate because most of the pitchers don't rely on huge strikeout totals. He throws a fastball in the low-90's and offers several decent secondary pitches.

My guess is he'll be a 3-4 starter who should arrive quickly. After Strasburg, the Nationals rotation next season (Jordan Zimmerman, Livan, Maya, Scott Olsen?) has the chance of being really good or astonishingly bad.

Anyone have any peripherals on the guy? K/BB numbers? GBP? I haven't been able to find anything beyond what is in that quote above?

According to Ben Goessling of MASNSports.com, the Nationals sent Maya to their Gulf Coast League affiliate in Viera, Florida today.

He writes...

Maya will throw in front of minor-league pitching coordinator Spin Williams, and will likely throw a simulated game or make a rehab start before heading to the majors. He'll also be able to work out with Orlando Hernandez, one of his idols from Cuba, who the Nationals signed last month. The Nationals believe Maya is relatively close to getting to the majors. He was 13-4 with a 2.22 ERA last season in the Cuban National Series. It's likely he'll be in the majors before the end of the season.

The problem w/ the cuban league is it's difficult to locate archived statistics. The web site www.baseballdecuba.com is a great source for statistics from the current year, but they don't have an archive. This is the only thing I could locate showing Maya's '09 stats.

http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/sear...=clnk&gl=us

The stats are pretty confusing, but Maya is listed #231. He posted a 2.22 ERA his last season before defecting (Spring '09), but the concern is the strikeout/inning ratio has never been particularly impressive, and since the National Series is really different than here, it raises questions regarding whether he can be effective. What's encouraging about Maya is he was a legitimate star in the National Series for the past 5-10 years and he posted great numbers in international competition. The downside is he reminds me of many of the Cuban pitchers who defected during the 1990's (Prieto, Arrojo) who struggled here despite dominating in the National Series.

On the whole, I still think defectors like Maya and Leslie Anderson are great low-cost investments for deep leagues because they could pay great dividends if their talent translates to American baseball.

Anyone know if he's still pitching tomorrow in the Gulf Coast League?

He pitched 3 perfect innings with one K this morning.

Anyone know why he was pulled after the third?

He pitched 3 perfect innings with one K this morning.

Anyone know why he was pulled after the third?

Not sure what you expected but he needs to build up his innings gradually as he hasn't pitched regularly since the winter. I expect he'll get bumped to A ball for his next start and go 3 or 4 IP.

Rough outing for Yunesky Maya today.

He started for Single-A Potomac and gave up six runs on seven hits in four innings, including five runs in the fourth inning.

He's still expected to move to the next level of the organization.

From RotoWire via ESPN...

Maya got roughed up at High-A Potomac on Sunday, but was dealing with a blister on his thumb, the Washington Post reports.

Spin: He started the game by throwing three scoreless innings before getting derailed. The blister prevented him from throwing his split-finger fastball or his change-up, but it won't stop him from making his next start at Triple-A. The Nationals still expect him to be in the majors before the end of the season.

i don't know how much he'll help in september (this is all a bit rushed to be honest), but i'm expecting a pretty good '11 out of maya - 7-9K/IP, good BB rate, national league aided ratios, etc......he's got a good mix of pitches but most importantly knows how to pitch with stuff that isn't going to be mid-90's, but a well rounded arsenal.......should be able to handle a solid amount of innings on that arm though that is never a certainty

culture adjustment will be important, but he's got a whole off-season to settle in a bit and learn a bit of english (hopefully he'll spend a bit more quality time with Livan and Orlando).......WAS looks pretty solid with Starsburg, Zimm, and Maya as a 1-2-3 heading into next season

Hes up. Worth an add in mixed leagues? Im concerned about his control but if he gets regular starts from here on out hes got good value.