Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

GretzGretzky

#1 prospect for 2011

How the hell can anyone say Freeman does not have the ceiling Montero does? Thats insane to say that. I like Freeman quite a bit and especially considering he is a Left handed bat. I will take either guy on my squad. I think both are studs in the making but Freeman could be better eventually and so could Montero at this point IMO it is splitting hairs... It is like asking someone if they want 1000 bucks in 100 dollar bills or 50's. They are both elite prospects and we will see how it pans out. Freeman plays in a much much much easier division however. I could not pick one for fantasy to be honest.

I honestly don't even think it's that close with Freeman and Montero. Freeman hasn't posted an OPS above 900 at any level, with the closest being 2008, while Montero has done it at 2 levels. Second, Montero doing this as a catcher makes it way more valueable than someone doing this as a 1B. Just for examples.

An OPS of 871 like Freeman has in AAA right now, ranks him 11th among 1Bs this year, while an OPS of 848 (like Montero has right now) would rank him third among catchers.

Freeman is an excellent prospect, but as long as Montero is still at catcher, his production is more valuable.

I honestly don't even think it's that close with Freeman and Montero. Freeman hasn't posted an OPS above 900 at any level, with the closest being 2008, while Montero has done it at 2 levels. Second, Montero doing this as a catcher makes it way more valueable than someone doing this as a 1B. Just for examples.

An OPS of 871 like Freeman has in AAA right now, ranks him 11th among 1Bs this year, while an OPS of 848 (like Montero has right now) would rank him third among catchers.

Freeman is an excellent prospect, but as long as Montero is still at catcher, his production is more valuable.

He will not stick at Catcher he is not good defensively. Romine is the catcher of the future in NY, Montero is bound for DH.

He will not stick at Catcher he is not good defensively. Romine is the catcher of the future in NY, Montero is bound for DH.

While Romine is the catcher of the future, I do think they will give Montero a shot at being the catcher first because its where his biggest value is.

And Montero's stats are somewhat skewed by a terrible start, and his play as of late fits in with the scouting reports that he could be a Miggy-lite or Manny type of hitter in his prime. I just don't think Freeman is that type of a hitter.

While Romine is the catcher of the future, I do think they will give Montero a shot at being the catcher first because its where his biggest value is.

And Montero's stats are somewhat skewed by a terrible start, and his play as of late fits in with the scouting reports that he could be a Miggy-lite or Manny type of hitter in his prime. I just don't think Freeman is that type of a hitter.

Implying that Freeman's stats aren't skewed from a bad start? He's been on a tear since June.

Implying that Freeman's stats aren't skewed from a bad start? He's been on a tear since June.

Montero has been better,

WOBA since June for Freeman:

.386 (June)

.405 (July)

.545 (August)

...while Montero

.353 (June)

.442 (July)

.545 (August)

Montero has been better,

WOBA since June for Freeman:

.386 (June)

.405 (July)

.545 (August)

...while Montero

.353 (June)

.442 (July)

.545 (August)

Call me crazy but that seems pretty identical...

I am honestly shocked that people are trying to say Freeman is better than Montero. I haven't seen anyone even put them in the same conversation till now. And I'm not a Yankees fan, and I HATE Montero I have rooted for him to fail for a long time.

I am honestly shocked that people are trying to say Freeman is better than Montero. I haven't seen anyone even put them in the same conversation till now. And I'm not a Yankees fan, and I HATE Montero I have rooted for him to fail for a long time.

I'm not trying to say Freeman is better, I'm just pointing out how ridiculous this statement is:

Montero destroying AAA pitching at 20 years of age tells me all I need to know about who the top prospect in baseball is.

Freeman's been hitting AAA ball just as good, and at times better, as Montero at the same age.

I'm not trying to say Freeman is better, I'm just pointing out how ridiculous this statement is:

Freeman's been hitting AAA ball just as good, and at times better, as Montero at the same age.

Yea I agree that isn't exactly the brightest statement in the world. I think the top 8 guys are all interchangeable I wouldn't have any problem putting Julio, Moosetacos, Montero, Trout, Hosmer could all be ranked 1st overall in my eyes.

I'm a little confused on what you guys are predicting here. Are you guessing on what current minor leaguer is going to put up the best 2011 MLB fantasy numbers, or are you giving opinions on top minor leaguers to own for 2011 and beyond?

I'm a little confused on what you guys are predicting here. Are you guessing on what current minor leaguer is going to put up the best 2011 MLB fantasy numbers, or are you giving opinions on top minor leaguers to own for 2011 and beyond?

2011 and beyond

What actually prompted the question was---

In my keeper I'm looking to find that guy who'll be the big hyped up prospect coming into next season. The guy who'll be billed as a huge prospect, the guy who everyone in my league will drop everything for and draft as early as they can, or trade for if they happen to be kept from this season. The cover boy for each of the fantasy magazines that come out with the baseball preview.

Jay Bruce, Alex Gordon, Matt Wieters, Steven Strasburg, Jason Heyward have all held this distinction, with mixed results.

I was actually just as concerned with hype as I was with actual talent, in the interests of pulling of a preseason trade next year.

I've enjoyed the debate and really value the input of the prospect heads on this board. As someone who didn't know who Jason Heyward was at this time last year, I'm thankful that I have you guys to refer to.

All I want out of the 2011 prospects is Chapman, Gibson, and Perez to be healthy and if they could dominate AAA and MLB hitting that would help out a lot...

Also if Sands could make the team out of ST that would help a lot too...

I don't get what all the Jennings talk is about. He shouldn't be mentioned in the "top prospect" topic.

1)He's soon to be 24, for me age is a huge factor when projecting players and talking prospects.

2)He can steal bases but nothing else pops out to you as his batting avg has been up and down throughout his milb career

3)Doesn't hit for much power

He's a good prospect but IMO not to be considered among the top ones. Maybe in the late 15-20.

I think it's pretty clear that the top-5 will be something close to:

Teheran

Hellickson

Trout

Montero

Harper

(that's the order I would personally put them in, but I wouldn't argue with pretty much any other ordering).

Others who deserve top-5 consideration are Dom Brown, Jennings (betting on long-term potential despite down year), Moustakas, and Freeman.

This feels like a fairly weak group relative to past years, but gotta remember how many top prospects were promoted this year (Santana, Heyward, Alvarez, Bumgarner, Strasburg).

--Ben

gonna cause a riot on Rotoworld if you dont put Dominic Brown in top 5

I think the problem with next years class is that so many of the really appealing prospects are so young in the development cycle.

The guys that will most likely contribute at the major league level to me are:

Dominic Brown

Desmond Jennings

Jesus Montero

Freddie Freeman

Mike Moustakas (though he has struggled since the AAA callup)

Michael Pineda

Aroldis Chapman

But the guys that are going to be the top prospects and wont start near the majors that will be heavily hyped:

Mike Trout

Bryce Harper

Julio Teheran

Mike Montgomery

Tyler Matzek

To me the number one guy if we are talking Major league ready and MiLB performance this year Dominic Brown is the guy.

I think the problem with next years class is that so many of the really appealing prospects are so young in the development cycle.

The guys that will most likely contribute at the major league level to me are:

Dominic Brown

Desmond Jennings

Jesus Montero

Freddie Freeman

Mike Moustakas (though he has struggled since the AAA callup)

Michael Pineda

Aroldis Chapman

But the guys that are going to be the top prospects and wont start near the majors that will be heavily hyped:

Mike Trout

Bryce Harper

Julio Teheran

Mike Montgomery

Tyler Matzek

To me the number one guy if we are talking Major league ready and MiLB performance this year Dominic Brown is the guy.

Good post, but I also think people forget how early we are in the 2011 development cycle. Where was Dom Brown at this time last year? Doing solid in A-ball with a decent taste of AA. So of course the potential top 2011 prospects seem to have a smaller ceiling, all the top guys have been called up and its still too early to evaluate alot of AA performances.

I'm sure August 2011 will have a similar amout of youngin's in MLB getting noticed.

harper (assuming he signs) - and it ain't that close........best prospect since justin upton

My thoughts exactly

Mike Trout

Bryce Harper

Julio Teheran

Mike Montgomery

Tyler Matzek

Add Miguel Sano to this list...

I've been away for the weekend, but catching up on the argument about Freeman vs. Montero and the one person who gave their wOBA stats since June... and how he claimed they were identical - Yes, those stats you listed WERE identical, however, you totally made Freeman's up (his wOBA in August is 486, not 545)! Plus, there's more to it than just wOBA...

Montero:

June: ISO (.222) OPS (.829) wOBA (.353) BB% (5.7%) K% (20.0%)

July: ISO (.290) OPS (1.073) wOBA (.442) BB% (15.1%) K% (17.2%)

Aug: ISO (.334) OPS (1.221) wOBA (.512) BB% (11.4%) K% (18.2%)

AVG: ISO (.282) OPS (1.041) wOBA (.436) BB% (10.7%) K% (18.4%)

Freeman:

June: ISO (.193) OPS (.922) wOBA (.386) BB% (11.2%) K% (21.9%)

July: ISO (.216) OPS (.944) wOBA (.405) BB% (8.8%) K% (18.5%)

Aug: ISO (.265) OPS (1.157) wOBA (.486) BB% (7.4%) K% (16.8%)

AVG: ISO (.225) OPS (1.008) wOBA (.425) BB% (9.1%) K% (19.1%)

So to summarize, Montero hits for more power, gets on base more, walks more and strikes out less than Freeman, yet you are claiming that they're identical, not exactly... And as far as power goes, not even close. If Montero wouldn't have changed his stance in the beginning of the year (which is what apparently lead to his early struggles), I'm not sure if we would even be entertaining this topic. Not saying Freeman doesn't have promise, but he's not on Montero's level.