Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Tampa Boy

Who Should I take

Im in a league were we have minor leagues. Its a pretty big and deep league and we have a rookie draft. I have picks #10 and #21. Who should I draft? The guys Im targeting are Chris Sale, Yasmani Grandal, and Alex Wimmers. Is this smart?

Are there any other people I could get with those picks that would be better options?

I like those guys. Sale is a left-hander w/ a huge arm whose already reached the major leagues. He is supposed to eventually become a starter, but to me, his throwing motion indicates he'll be more effective in the bullpen. Wimmers is a first-rounder from Ohio State, who is a really solid all-around pitcher. I'm not sure he'll develop into an ace, but I like his chances of becoming a productive major leaguer. Grandal is an offensive-minded catcher who the Reds took in the first round last year. I'm not totally sold on him, but he's not a bad selection.

Here are three other mid/late first rounders who could be pretty good:

Michael Choice (Oakland, OF): Everybody knows Choice, but I'd take him ahead of those other three guys assuming he's on the board. Great power potential.

Zach Cox (Cardinals, INF): assuming he signs, I'd argue this should be your guy. He was picked 26th because is seeking "Pedro Alvarez money." He'd be a good pick at #10...and a complete steal at #21.

Gary Brown (Giants, OF): first rounder who played w/ Christian Colon...he has great speed but it's less certain he'll hit. Nevertheless, he's worth considering.

Does anyone else know any good people in the first round that are from pick 10 and beyond? What group of players should I aim to get? Who should I avoid?

So I guess I'll aim to aquire Choice with the 10th and Cox with the 21st.

a good breakdown on cox

http://projectprospect.com/article/2010/06...n-with-zack-cox

nick castellanos is the best 3B from this year's draft (athletic power bat with a clean swing) but, as a HS, he's pretty far off having a big league impact

i also like deck mcguire from the jays - big power arm who has all the makings of a workhorse who can handle 200IP a year

Stetson Allie is someone who I'm very high on. Kid is out of HS sits in the mid to high 90's. His slider has plus potential but as of right now it is only avg. He has a change up but didn't have to throw it in HS. Some people see him as a closer all the way, but they are going to have him start as a starter. If he can develop his slider and his change can turn into a pitch he can throw for strikes I see him as a number 2.

As for Sale this is what I wrote in the Sale thread. I love his stuff I think if his arm holds up he is going to be a really nice ground ball pitcher.

He will. If they already promoted him to AAA with only 4 IP in A ball they obviously see him as having a impact this year. Also they moved him to the pen which almost gives him a lock to make the big leagues. I personally LOVE this kid he has a sinking fastball that induces a ton of groundballs, has a slow breaking curve ball and a change. His mechanics are quite ugly, I don't have a problem with his release point as some do but he does seem to have a inverted W so it'll be interesting to see if he holds up.

http://i26.tinypic.com/2j1pili.jpg

What service offers a league with deep minor league action? I am interested, but I know nothing about it.

CBS does. They don't have everyone but they have most of the big names. What I do in my main league is we have a offline draft and everyone who isn't in the database you can make a place holder and put that on your team until they add him into the database.

Does anyone else know any good people in the first round that are from pick 10 and beyond? What group of players should I aim to get? Who should I avoid?

From the upper first round, I'd avoid Barrett Loux big time. The new management realizes this pick didn't make any sense, he failed his physical, and he's probably a late first-round talent. Even though Manny Machado could be a great player, for fantasy baseball purposes, I would consider downgrading him (I like him...but not that much more than I like Nick Castellanos, Christian Yelich, etc). The other guys I'd avoid are Hayden Simpson, Zach Lee, Kyle Parker (won't sign...probably), and Cito Culver.

I really like Josh Sale, Tampa's first round pick. Check out this home run swing...

Kaleb Cowart was a great HS player in Georgia. Delino DeShields was probably drafted too high in real baseball, but for fantasy baseball, his speed makes him a good option. Justin O'Connor is an intriguing selection. He's an impressesive athlete who really bolstered his stock after converting to catcher during his senior year. Chevez Clarke is a long-term project, but the little amount of video of seen of him is pretty impressive.

From the upper first round, I'd avoid Barrett Loux big time. The new management realizes this pick didn't make any sense, he failed his physical, and he's probably a late first-round talent. Even though Manny Machado could be a great player, for fantasy baseball purposes, I would consider downgrading him (I like him...but not that much more than I like Nick Castellanos, Christian Yelich, etc). The other guys I'd avoid are Hayden Simpson, Zach Lee, Kyle Parker (won't sign...probably), and Cito Culver.

I really like Josh Sale, Tampa's first round pick. Check out this home run swing...

Kaleb Cowart was a great HS player in Georgia. Delino DeShields was probably drafted too high in real baseball, but for fantasy baseball, his speed makes him a good option. Justin O'Connor is an intriguing selection. He's an impressesive athlete who really bolstered his stock after converting to catcher during his senior year. Chevez Clarke is a long-term project, but the little amount of video of seen of him is pretty impressive.

From what I have heard there is less than a 1% chance he signs.

You should definately take a close look at Anthony Ranaudo he was a supplemental first round choice by the red sox. Going into last years college season Ranaudo was by many the number one ranked pitcher in all of college ball. However an elbow injury set him back and he struggled to regain form.

However, after being drafted by the sox he took his trade to the cape cod league to continue working his way back to form and posted pretty impressive numbers. He has a big (6'7) frame but right now sign-ability is holding him back, good ole scott boras is on the case....

Definitely worth a look though at the 21 spot