Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

footballpimp

Jacob Turner DET SP

Couldn't find a thread on him,

Anyways, This guy has been dominating lately, a 29/8 k/walk rate in the last 8 games and 2 ER or fewer in 7 of the last 8 games in Class A advanced at 19 years old. Sure the SO aren't there but he has a good K/BB rateand WHIP (1.169), Doesn't allow bombs or walks. And has great control at such a young age, and I really believe that he will outperform ANY pitcher in his draft class. He doesn't have the upside of Miller or Matzek, but he is the better bet to be an elite SP in the BIGS. And FWIW, I read an article earlier this week that said he was quite a bit better than Porcello at 19.

After Porcello, I'm not touching another Detroit pitcher until I see better results.

Wouldn't be shocked if he is called up once the rosters expand.

I've actually had a $5 bet on that with one of my buddies since May. The Tigers are friggin' deplorable when it comes to handling prospects (especially pitching prospects). They've completely ruined guys with how quickly theyve rushed them (Bonderman, Maybin, Miller...and the jury is still out on Porcello, Perry, and Oliver). Its just disgusting the way they use their farm. They dont believe in AA or AAA. I'm a huge Tiger fan, but I wont touch one of their prospects.

I like Turner. I love his stuff. But I dont trust the development he'll get in the Tiger's organization. Porcello was an elite talent coming out of HS as well and he broke camp with the big club last year after pitching 125 innings in A+...and ONLY in A+. Starting him in High-A right out of HS is pretty ballsy as it is, but to bypass AA and AAA completely? The kid had 1 year and 1 level above HS ball before pitching at Comerica.

Im sorry if I'm hijacking the thread, but (as you can probably tell) its a pretty sore subject for me. I love the guys we draft, but I keep seeing Dombrowski ruin them. Sh*t, look at Oliver this year.

Worst example of this I've ever seen:

http://www.thebaseballcube.com/players/B/J...Bonderman.shtml

Bondo was drafted out of HS by the A's. Beane started him in High-A. The Tigers traded for him, gave him 2 MORE GAMES in A+...and then promoted him to Detroit. And look at the season he had. They let him go:

6-19 with a 5.56era, 1.55whip for one of baseball's worst teams EVER as a 20 year old

What is the f*cking POINT of that. He never saw a demotion to build his confidence or to make adjustments. They just let him get completely annihilated by major league hitters for a team that didnt even need him. Please, somebody find me a worse example of prospect development.

I disagree completely. If nothing else, he'll stay on the farm only because of the setback he experienced with his arm earlier this year.

I understand the Tigers' mismanagement with prospects, etc... But I don't think Turner sees the light of day this season without hitting Double A for a stretch.

Call me crazy but I think he's the 2nd best pitching prospect behind Teheran.

He's 19 and is posting these stats in AA-

6IP,2H,0ER,1BB,9K

7IP,7H,3ER,1HR,1BB,4K

6.2IP,4H,1ER,1BB,7K

2011-19.2IP,1.83ERA,13H,3BB,20K

Call me crazy but I think he's the 2nd best pitching prospect behind Teheran.

He's 19 and is posting these stats in AA-

6IP,2H,0ER,1BB,9K

7IP,7H,3ER,1HR,1BB,4K

6.2IP,4H,1ER,1BB,7K

2011-19.2IP,1.83ERA,13H,3BB,20K

Yes, you are crazy.

Until DET shows me they can handle a young pitcher, I'm staying away.

I saw Turner when he was in HS, he was a complete beast. There were scouts there with radar guns I remember I saw 98 as the highest.

I read something recently though saying his velocity was in the low 90's? I would think that is abnormal for guys to lose velocity from high school as they mature? BTW I am no prospect expert in any shape or form, just saw Turner when he was in high school so I have followed him a bit.

Verlander spent less time in the minors than any other pitcher than Bonderman, but he's not included in the argument? It makes no sense to me. Bonderman was a very good pitcher until he was hit with the thoracic syndrome. Porcello is as good as he's ever going to be, he wasn't challenged in high A, and had an extremely good rookie year, so that was a good decision then, and he's pitching well now.

Verlander was a college pitcher and had built up a steady innings log. Both Bonderman and Porcello both had little time in the minors and their careers have and so far have suffered.

Porcello is pitching much better now. Bonderman was as good as he was ever going to be. Verlander is the better pitcher of the three also. Talent has a lot to do with everything. All Turner has to do is build his innings up. He could do that and help the major league club out next year. I think it's very possible that both Oliver and Turner will be up on opening day. The Tigers are one of the few teams that don't play games with service time, and I love that about them.

any chance this guy gets a shot this year?

Andy Oliver is also ahead of him at this time. And Turner may not be on the 40 man roster, or is he?

Turner is on the 40 man. However I think he has a slim chance of being called up this year. Next year I would be really surprised if he didn't make the rotation.

Turner is on the 40 man. However I think he has a slim chance of being called up this year. Next year I would be really surprised if he didn't make the rotation.

That makes sense as they will have to watch his innings this year, which is hard to do at the big league level

Coke removed, now Furbush sent back down and Oliver not doing all that great. Could we see him in Detroit soon?

Coke removed, now Furbush sent back down and Oliver not doing all that great. Could we see him in Detroit soon?

As history clearly shows, if the Tigers think Turner is the best option at the major league level he will be there. I don't doubt he will get a chance this year. The team needs to make the playoffs and he is definitely an improvement on what I see as the options for the 5th starter. The Tigers aren't as big on service time as other teams so it's a great chance at this point. I'd temper expectations though.

Lets hope they leave him in the minors. Verlander may have worked out in the long run, but he did have to take his bumbs along the way. Bonderman never did recover, and Porcello is proving that he should have stayed down longer as well.

Any reason ESPN is showing him as starting next MON @ CHW?

SI_JonHeyman Jon Heyman

#tigers are calling up big-time pitching prospect jacob turner. active on other fronts as well. #tradedeadline

beckjason Jason Beck

Turner definitely not starting for Erie on Saturday. He is not with team. #Tigers not answering questions about his status.

MinorLeagueBlog Top Prospect Alert

Jacob Turner Called Up To Pitch For The Detroit #Tigers

Any inside scoop on this guy. With Fister down and Wilk looking terrible, curious if he gets the call up sometime soon.