Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

LinceArmStrong

2007 Draft

Anyone know of a good place to look for finding out who's been signed from this years draft?

Is there a fall league that guys jump into? (ie, how Lincecum pitched last year after drafted)

Actually MLB.com is pretty good.

http://sanfrancisco.giants.mlb.com/team/draft.jsp?c_id=sf

That would be the Giants

http://newyork.mets.mlb.com/team/draft.jsp?c_id=nym

The Mets.....and so on

There are some players who were offered contracts, that haven't yet been approved by the commishner. For example, would be Carmen Angellini of the Yankees, who the Yankees signed for well above slot money, and sent it to Selig's office, but they like to delay it, because it goes against their adviced slot money. But they can't do anything to reject it, so it will go through.

Other than this, I don't know any sites particularly that covers draft signings, although its like like 2-3 weeks away from the deadline, so its not that far away. You would have to basically go team by team, and look at sources like reporter blogs and all to know draft signees.

And the leauge depends, I'm not sure how its going to happen nowadays. Usually they go to the short season leauge (like the Gulf Coast league) and start out there. But in years before, you could negotiate all the way until next year's draft (in the case of Scherzer, ugh, the Arizona guy, you know who I'm talking about, lol). So sometimes it all depended on when the player signed, like Joba went to the Hawaii league, because the GCL season was over. I don't know how its going to be this year.

Short seasons are usually used for 2007 draftees. you might see some head to the Arizona Fall league but mainly already established prospects go there. big time hitters league.

Lincecum went to the Northwest League (Class A Short Season) with a promotion to regular single A Cal League (San Jose Giants.)

I've been scouring baseball america for the signed, usually they report them frequently.

Often times though draftees wont get to see A or hi A and go to the rookie leagues.

Rookie:

Appalachian League|Arizona League|Dominican Summer League|Gulf Coast League|Pioneer League|Venezuelan Summer League

Travis Snider was in the Appalachian league last year I believe. Rowell started there and go to Class A Short Season New York Penn league.

College pitcher (Ottavino) started out in the NYP league and then I think went to single A Midwest League with swing of the quad.

It all depends on the prospect and how advanced they are. I wouldn't expect any to see significant time above Class A SS.

I just read that Porcello signed with the Tigers. 4 yrs/7m+. Talent-wise, they said he should have been a top 5 pick, but slipped to 20something due to signability.