Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Timmah!

IDP Questions 2010

Welcome back for another season!

As always, we ask those of you asking questions to:

- give as much league-related info as possible when asking questions (scoring, league size, lineup requirements, etc.)

- try to keep FA/WW availability limite to the most relevant player available, rather than list a couple dozen names

- be respectful; you may not agree with the advice given, but don't forget that you asked for it in the first place

On a personal note, I ask that you be as willing to offer advice as you are to take it. I've noticed that more than a couple guys who have been long-time paricipants in the thread have now branched out and have been as generous as they've asked other to be....that's what we like to see! B)

Thanks for posting, and good luck!

Timmah!

Another season is upon us!

12 team H2H. Team A in sig. We start 3 IDP's. I drafted D. Harris, Laurinaitis, and Posluszny.

Im hearing alot of hype with Rolando Mcclain. Is he going to be a better bet than any of my current IDP's?

Could really use some IDP help. I'm a noob to IDP, started a 12 team dynasty league this year, very deep league, start 2DB, 2LB, 2 DL, keep 100% of your roster, and I targeted a lot of who i thought were studs:

I have:

DL:

Mario Williams

Justin Tuck

Gregg White

John Abraham

LB:

Jon Beason

Rolando McClain

Brian Urlacher

DB:

Yeremiah Bell

Roman harper

Eric Weddle

Quintin Mikell

I don't want to devote any more positions to defense, and the wire's getting thinner. I did however notice that Terrell Suggs is sitting on the wire, eligible for LB, and was wondering if anyone would 1) suggest picking him up and 2) who you would cut?

Points go:

1 per tackle (0.5 for an assist)

2 per pass defensed

3 per FF or FR

4 per sack (2 for half sack)

4 per INT

Additional bonuses can be had for:

10+ tackles

3+ pass defensed

2+ INTs

2+ FF or 2+ FR

Thoughts?

Could really use some IDP help. I'm a noob to IDP, started a 12 team dynasty league this year, very deep league, start 2DB, 2LB, 2 DL, keep 100% of your roster, and I targeted a lot of who i thought were studs:

I have:

DL:

Mario Williams

Justin Tuck

Gregg White

John Abraham

LB:

Jon Beason

Rolando McClain

Brian Urlacher

DB:

Yeremiah Bell

Roman harper

Eric Weddle

Quintin Mikell

I don't want to devote any more positions to defense, and the wire's getting thinner. I did however notice that Terrell Suggs is sitting on the wire, eligible for LB, and was wondering if anyone would 1) suggest picking him up and 2) who you would cut?

Points go:

1 per tackle (0.5 for an assist)

2 per pass defensed

3 per FF or FR

4 per INT

Additional bonuses can be had for:

10+ tackles

3+ pass defensed

2+ INTs

2+ FF or 2+ FR

Thoughts?

terrell suggs is worthless as a LB. he was only good when they listed him as DE.

+2 for passes defensed? 1 per tackle? thats pretty dumb. might want to do some research of last season and see who had some badass passes defensed, I guess I've never cared about that stats so I can't really help you there.

whips - McClain is loved by many, but I would have a hard time recommending him over tyour current guys, if only because they're a bit more of a known quantity and are pretty solid in their own right. I'd keep close tabs on McClain, as Poz is something of an injury risk, and if McClain gets off toa fast start he may force your hand.

kjtocool - I think you're in good shape at DL and LB, although I've never been a huge Abraham fan, so if Suggs were eligible at DE as well, I'd consider him there. As far as the DB's are concerned, the guys you have would be fine in most leagues, but it appears you're going to miss out on PD points for certain, slightly lesser extent on INT's, as those guys are strong safeties who have more responsibility in run coverage (hence, higher tackle #'s) than are known for their pass covereage.

I'm not suggesting out-and-out dropping them, as they'll get their tackle points, but you may find them scoring less than a lot of CB's, whom ordinarily would be less enticing. I would gauge their production based on your scoring system and as you approach bye weeks, prepare to bring in guys who will have more to offer in pass coverage scoring.

isbad - 1 pt/tackle is pretty standard througout IDP leagues (you may see some with 2 pts/per). 2 points per PD isn't, as most leagues I see give 1, but I've also seen as many as 3 points per.

Thanks Timmah. I like the 3 guys i drafted alot. Hope they rack up the points for me each week.

Yeah, I went for DB who were strong at tackles, as I assumed that would be good for consistency. Anyone have advice on some deeper DBs who may be available that would flourish under this point system?

Edit: Or even DBs to target in trades, anything to guide me to fixing this area.

Yeah, I went for DB who were strong at tackles, as I assumed that would be good for consistency. Anyone have advice on some deeper DBs who may be available that would flourish under this point system?

Edit: Or even DBs to target in trades, anything to guide me to fixing this area.

Actually, before throwing out reandom names, what I would do is check out the league leaders in things like PD's, and then cross-reference that with your league's leading scorers and player availability (I know that's possible in Yahoo). That way, you know who the top earners were, how they got their points, and whether or not they're readily available.

Last year, Revis was the leader with 31, there was a handful of guys in the 20's and then it broadly flattened out - 15 guys had between 15 and 19, and then another 18 were between 12 and 14.

I would start there, and then see how you might be able to prompt someone to take a tackler for a coverage guy. If other owners stocked up on CB's they may be interested in balancing out their lineup, statwise.

I looked ... the top 10 from last year looks like:

205 - Charles Woodson

174 - Darrelle Revis

171 - Bernard pollard

169 - Darren Sharper

162 - Leon Hall

159 - Brian Dawkins

154 - Dominique Rodgers Cromartie

145 - Brandon Flowers

143 - Johnathan Joseph (Available)

143 - Dashon Goldson

142 - Sheldon Brown

139 - Terrell Thomas (Available)

139 - Tyvon Branch

138 - Yeremiah Bell (I Own)

126 - Quintin Mikell (I own ... ranked #18 last year)

109 - Eric Weddle (I own ... ranked 52 but missed 3 games)

Now I think I'm fairly solid ... but I'm contemplating possibly picking up a few rookies. This is a dynasty ... and guys like Joe Haden, Javier Arenas and Kyle Wilson are all available. Thoughts on that group?

Curious Im in a return yardage league and was thinking about dumping Antoin Winfield for Pac Man Jones...think the bengals would be scored on to warrant that move???

Kjtocool- i took a flier on arenas...so im hoping big things from him but remember im also in that return yardage league

I don't like Pac Man, watched him in pre-season, he had a few great returns, but lacked any semblance of explosiveness. My league doesn't count return yards, but I would get points for the touchdowns. I just worry that Pac Man is a name at this point, not a talent.

Everything I read on Arenas says 'undersized' and 'explosive returner'. I worry he's a nickel guy, and I really need someone who is going to be a dominant, physical corner, capable of playing the run, etc.

Who to start: Tackle heavy scoring.

Lofa totupu at LB

or jonathan Goff (new MLB for NYG)

also,

my DB's are solid except for Kenny Phillips who is listed as 2nd string for some reason (NYG)

who should I start in replacement?

Roy L. Williams

Jairus Byrd

Nate Clements

Sheldon Brown

T.J ward

lawyer milloy

Need to start 2..Vilma, Tulloch, D Ryans.

Points go:

2 per tackle (1 for an assist)

2 per pass defensed

2 per FF or FR

4 per INT

thanks for help. Im thinking I could throw a dart and sit whoever its hits at this point.

Points go:

2 per pass defensed

2 per FF or FR

4 per INT

thanks for help. Im thinking I could throw a dart and sit whoever its hits at this point.

I would start Vilma and Tulloch. They are both facing teams that want to run the ball a lot. Ryans will face the Colts who are going to pass a lot.

Who to start: Tackle heavy scoring.

Lofa totupu at LB

or jonathan Goff (new MLB for NYG)

also,

my DB's are solid except for Kenny Phillips who is listed as 2nd string for some reason (NYG)

who should I start in replacement?

Roy L. Williams

Jairus Byrd

Nate Clements

Sheldon Brown

T.J ward

lawyer milloy

I would start Goff over Tatupu because even though SF like to run the ball, nobody runs as much as Carolina, giving Goff a better chance at more tackles.

Phillips is the starter as the 3rd Safety for the Giants (Deon Grant) Was crying about it in the papers today. The only guy I would consider as his replacement is Ward, but I'd personally play KP.

(I'll be starting Goff over Stewart Bradley and Phillips as my DB2 this week)

I looked ... the top 10 from last year looks like:

205 - Charles Woodson

174 - Darrelle Revis

171 - Bernard pollard

169 - Darren Sharper

162 - Leon Hall

159 - Brian Dawkins

154 - Dominique Rodgers Cromartie

145 - Brandon Flowers

143 - Johnathan Joseph (Available)

143 - Dashon Goldson

142 - Sheldon Brown

139 - Terrell Thomas (Available)

139 - Tyvon Branch

138 - Yeremiah Bell (I Own)

126 - Quintin Mikell (I own ... ranked #18 last year)

109 - Eric Weddle (I own ... ranked 52 but missed 3 games)

Now I think I'm fairly solid ... but I'm contemplating possibly picking up a few rookies. This is a dynasty ... and guys like Joe Haden, Javier Arenas and Kyle Wilson are all available. Thoughts on that group?

Kareem Jackson would be the best young CB if available, he's the only rookie with a lock on a starting slot. Haden & Wilson will play a lot, but won't start. I personally like rookie corners in leagues that reward PD. They get thrown at often and get many chances to rack up tackles and PD.

I like Terrell Thomas as for your league. Teams tend to shy away from Webster on the other side, but his week 1 match-up sucks. Joseph has a good match-up though and he's clearly productive in your league

Points go:

2 per pass defensed

2 per FF or FR

4 per INT

I agree with you I think you could throw a dart and be fine but I would go with Vilma and Tulloch...above it was stated that they will face teams that will try to run the ball and I agree the Colts are def going to air it out so I would stick with Vilma and Tulloch

Which DBs do I start this week? Two out of those 3:

Adrian Wilson (at STL)

OJ Atogwe (vs ARI)

Dashon Goldson (at SEA)

Scoring:

6 pts per defensive or special teams TD

2 pts per interception

2 pts per fumble recovery (Note: includes a fumble by the opposing team out of the end zone)

1 pts per fumble forced

2 pts per blocked punt, PAT, or FG (Note: a deflected kick of any kind does not receive points)

2 pts per safety

2 pts per sack

1 pt per tackle (sia solo che assisted)

1 pt per PD (pass deflected)

Which DBs do I start this week? Two out of those 3:

Adrian Wilson (at STL)

OJ Atogwe (vs ARI)

Dashon Goldson (at SEA)

Scoring:

6 pts per defensive or special teams TD

2 pts per interception

2 pts per fumble recovery (Note: includes a fumble by the opposing team out of the end zone)

1 pts per fumble forced

2 pts per blocked punt, PAT, or FG (Note: a deflected kick of any kind does not receive points)

2 pts per safety

2 pts per sack

1 pt per tackle (sia solo che assisted)

1 pt per PD (pass deflected)

I'd have to say wilson. like his chances of an interception and some tackles with bradfords first game theory thrown into the mix.

it's all just speculation though, I think youll be alright with either.

How screwed am I at IDP?

This is the first year of this league and I have to admit, the scoring caught me off guard.

We start 2 DB, 2 DL, 2 LB.

Scoring is:

Tackle Solo - 2

Tackle Assist - 1

Sack - 3

Interception - 3

Fumble Force - 2

Fumble Recovery - 2

Defensive Touchdown - 6

Safety - 2

Pass Defended - 1

Block Kick - 2

My players:

DB - Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie, Champ Bailey, Antoine Bethea

DL - Antwan Odom, Vernon Gholston

LB - DeMeco Ryans, Lofa Tatupu, Terrell Suggs

I was hoping some of you IDP veterans could help me out with a couple of things. First, I was under the impression that Suggs would get DL eligibility, but right now he doesn't have it. Will he be played on the defensive line this year? Also, is it normal for eligibility to be added for IDPs?

Second, I was under the impression that Gholston was actually good and that he might actually be playing linebacker some this year (which would make his DL eligibility a bonus). Am I mistaken on this front as well?

Finally...if Gholston is not going to be good and/or playing any linebacker, should I pick up Justin Smith (SF), Darnell Docket (ARI), Wilfork (NE), Jamal Williams (DEN), Shaun Ellis (NYJ) or are there any other good sleepers you would recommend?

THANKS for helping out a noob!

How screwed am I at IDP?

This is the first year of this league and I have to admit, the scoring caught me off guard.

We start 2 DB, 2 DL, 2 LB.

Scoring is:

Tackle Solo - 2

Tackle Assist - 1

Sack - 3

Interception - 3

Fumble Force - 2

Fumble Recovery - 2

Defensive Touchdown - 6

Safety - 2

Pass Defended - 1

Block Kick - 2

My players:

DB - Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie, Champ Bailey, Antoine Bethea

DL - Antwan Odom, Vernon Gholston

LB - DeMeco Ryans, Lofa Tatupu, Terrell Suggs

I was hoping some of you IDP veterans could help me out with a couple of things. First, I was under the impression that Suggs would get DL eligibility, but right now he doesn't have it. Will he be played on the defensive line this year? Also, is it normal for eligibility to be added for IDPs?

Second, I was under the impression that Gholston was actually good and that he might actually be playing linebacker some this year (which would make his DL eligibility a bonus). Am I mistaken on this front as well?

Finally...if Gholston is not going to be good and/or playing any linebacker, should I pick up Justin Smith (SF), Darnell Docket (ARI), Wilfork (NE), Jamal Williams (DEN), Shaun Ellis (NYJ) or are there any other good sleepers you would recommend?

THANKS for helping out a noob!

Ryans, Tatupu, Odom, DRC, & Bethea are usuable. But only Ryans and probably Tatupu are good.

Suggs and Bailey are way better in real life than in IDP leagues. Although if you can predict Suggs' 2 sack games he'd be worthy of starting. Bailey just doesn't get thrown at enough to rack up points.

Gholston should be dropped immediately. J.Smith is a top 10 DL option as is Dockett. (Depends on which day of the week on who I rank higher.)

Here's a link to the IDP questions thread for my lists of sleepers.

Ryans, Tatupu, Odom, DRC, & Bethea are usuable. But only Ryans and probably Tatupu are good.

Suggs and Bailey are way better in real life than in IDP leagues. Although if you can predict Suggs' 2 sack games he'd be worthy of starting. Bailey just doesn't get thrown at enough to rack up points.

Gholston should be dropped immediately. J.Smith is a top 10 DL option as is Dockett. (Depends on which day of the week on who I rank higher.)

Here's a link to the IDP questions thread for my lists of sleepers.

I followed the link to your earlier posts with your list of sleepers...noticed you predict Suggs to lead the league in sacks this year, but he's not necessarily good either? I guess I'm a little confused. I had high hope that he would be DL eligible at some point this year in which case he seems like he would be one of the very best...

Anyway, right now I'm dropping Suggs for Vilma, dropping Gholston for Smith. Hopefully my waiver claims go through. Thanks for your help.

I followed the link to your earlier posts with your list of sleepers...noticed you predict Suggs to lead the league in sacks this year, but he's not necessarily good either? I guess I'm a little confused. I had high hope that he would be DL eligible at some point this year in which case he seems like he would be one of the very best...

Anyway, right now I'm dropping Suggs for Vilma, dropping Gholston for Smith. Hopefully my waiver claims go through. Thanks for your help.

sacks are only 3pts for u he doesn't get enough to overcome the high tackle guys that are out there.

He won't gain DL eligibility, he is a OLB on a 3-4 team. He unfortunately doesn't get LB tackle numbers however. If your league awarded 6 or more points per sack then he would be worthwhile.

sacks are only 3pts for u he doesn't get enough to overcome the high tackle guys that are out there.

He won't gain DL eligibility, he is a OLB on a 3-4 team. He unfortunately doesn't get LB tackle numbers however. If your league awarded 6 or more points per sack then he would be worthwhile.

Actually, sacks are also scored as tackles, so they're worth 5.

I know Yahoo scores things that way, I can't speak for CBS or ESPN.

Hey TImmah, Mind taking a look over my IDPs in my dynasty league? (roster is in my signature, the 2nd team) Thanks!

Here's the scoring breakdown:

"

Tackle Solo 1

Tackle Assist .5

Sack 4

Interception 4

Fumble Force 3

Defensive Touchdown 7

Safety 5

Pass Defended 3

Block Kick 5

"