Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Timmah!

Fantasy Soccer

the wife and i, in addition to being baseball, football, basketball and hockey fans, are also very much into soccer. we both had teams for the English Premier League last season, and with the new year kicking off on August 11th, we're ready for this year, too.

with a 38-week season, that runs from mid-August to mid-May, there's always games to follow, and Fox Soccer Channel shows matches every weekend. last year, i finished around 183,000....out of 1.3 million.

in the interest of full disclosure, here's my week 1 lineup:

Goal: Tim Howard

Defense: Joleon Lescott, Phil Jagielka, Richard Dunne

Midfield: Christiano Ronaldo (captain*), Gary Speed, Darren Bentley, Cesc Fabregas

Forwards: Niklas Anelka, Kevin Doyle, Bobby Zamora

Subs: Marcus Hahnemann, Gary McSheffrey, Carlos Bocanegra, Nicky Shorey

* the player chosen as captain earns double points

so, is anyone else around here into the game? i'd be interested to set up a sub-group for anyone who wants to try it out.

I know a few players and know who won and stuff but dont really follow it. I think its great game though.

Ronaldo is slowly starting to replace Theirry Henry as my favorite player

Christiano that is I honestly think that he and Ronaldino could make any US soccer team dizzy by themselves

the wife and i, in addition to being baseball, football, basketball and hockey fans, are also very much into soccer. we both had teams for the English Premier League last season, and with the new year kicking off on August 11th, we're ready for this year, too.

with a 38-week season, that runs from mid-August to mid-May, there's always games to follow, and Fox Soccer Channel shows matches every weekend. last year, i finished around 183,000....out of 1.3 million.

in the interest of full disclosure, here's my week 1 lineup:

Goal: Tim Howard

Defense: Joleon Lescott, Phil Jagielka, Richard Dunne

Midfield: Christiano Ronaldo (captain*), Gary Speed, Darren Bentley, Cesc Fabregas

Forwards: Niklas Anelka, Kevin Doyle, Bobby Zamora

Subs: Marcus Hahnemann, Gary McSheffrey, Carlos Bocanegra, Nicky Shorey

* the player chosen as captain earns double points

so, is anyone else around here into the game? i'd be interested to set up a sub-group for anyone who wants to try it out.

I would be interested in joining a league.

I would be interested in joining a league.

you can still join up on the official league site: http://fantasy.premierleague.com/index.html

Yahoo UK/Ire has a game as well, but Barclay's is far superior, IMO

the only sub-group i set up was for another message board. i'd offer a spot to you, but you'd be way behind on points (season is in week 16 of 38). if you're still interested though, lemme know and i'll start another group for Rotoworld.

this goes for anyone else who's interested, as well!

fwiw....the lineup i posted back in August has undergone major changes - 12 of those 15 are long gone. my lineup for week 16 (in progress):

Pepe Reina (GK), Lescott, Martin Laursen, Rio Ferdinand (D), Fabregas, Martin Petrov, Tim Cahill, Clint Dempsey, Steven Gerrard (M), Emmauel Adebayor, Roque Santa Cruz (F)

RSD5: Ronaldo's had a tough season thus far.....but 5 goals in the last three matches will get anyone back on track in a hurry B):)

Sign me up too!!!! Just let me finish rounding out my sychronized swimming squad. I even have first round pick in my upcoming curling draft. I just don't know who to pick first, USA, Sweden or Canada? The USA team is strong, led by Shawn Rojeski,Pete Fenson and Joe Polo. God, it is a tough call B)

just for S's and G's, i went ahead and created a league, with scoring to start in week 17, which is next weekend (Sat-Sun). we all start from 0, so my points to date won't factor in.

it's called "Rotoworld Cup" and to join, go here: http://fantasy.premierleague.com/index.html

you have 100 million pounds to spend on 15 players, 11 of whom you start. you are allowed a max of three players per EPL team. there are a bunch of scoring cats, but not so many that it will take long to catch up, and there are only four positions. your weekly lineup is a Goalkeeper and the others can be arranged in different formations, just like FF.

if you're saying to yourself, "that's great, but i wouldn't even know where to begin", then know that my roster, posted above, and the site itself are very helpful in figuring that part out. the "Pundit" section gives weekly roster tips, and the "Transfers" section, where you make moves has all the stats and player points, both by league and team. clicking on the "I" tab next to their name gives a bio and game-by-game stats, along with daily league add/drop totals.

you can also watch games on Fox Soccer Channel each weekend. thanks to the time difference, they start around 10am Eastern.

if anyone is interested, PM me and i'll send you the code to join. if not, that's cool too.....

do u have a deadline for when u need people? im debating whether or not i wanna get in on it

My team is registered. B)

do u have a deadline for when u need people? im debating whether or not i wanna get in on it

no....the scoring for our league starts next weekend.

How many transfers do we get for the season?

How many transfers do we get for the season?

you get a free transfer each week, additional transfers cost 4 points each.

you also get a Wild Card, which you can use to make as many transfers you want in a given week, without penalty. i used mine a few weeks ago, and made 9-10 free moves.

I saw the ord Soccer so.... Go Dynamo Go!

so sign up!.....there's plenty of Americans to put on your team B):)

FYI, there's an added bonus:

Monthly Prize

This season the person who finishes top of the monthly leaderboard will be declared Manager of the Month and will win a home replica shirt of a current Premier League club of their choice plus two VIP tickets to a pre-selected Barclays Premier League match including matchday hospitality.

Hey, being a huge football fan from the UK I'd feel a bit of a cheater joining your league,

now, now.....don't be so sure about that! i'm actually ranked 120k out of 1.5 million. not great, but that's around top 7%.

think about joining up with us, anyway. like i wrote before, we're all starting with a clean slate this weekend.

but if you're interested, there's a Roto league available on the Times website, only just started this year I think.

http://playthegame.timesonline.co.uk/soccer/times_login.asp

i'll have to check it out.....thanks!

I'm playing Fantasy Soccer for the England Premiership with Yahoo, but it sucks. They don't have those little reports for players which says if they're injured or expected to sit out a game. I'm too lazy to go check European sites.

I'm playing Fantasy Soccer for the England Premiership with Yahoo, but it sucks. They don't have those little reports for players which says if they're injured or expected to sit out a game. I'm too lazy to go check European sites.

i have a team there, too, and i agree....it's mediocre at best. the interface is dull, player valuation is odd, and not having bench really hurts when players sit out. at least in Barclay's, they have auto substitutions. that's how i got hooked up with Kitson's goal the other week.

you should join our league! get in on the ground floor! B)

i have a team there, too, and i agree....it's mediocre at best. the interface is dull, player valuation is odd, and not having bench really hurts when players sit out. at least in Barclay's, they have auto substitutions. that's how i got hooked up with Kitson's goal the other week.

you should join our league! get in on the ground floor! B)

Auto-subbing sounds good. Another thing that annoys me with Yahoo's is that it penalizes you for selling players high. The add/drop just seems counter-intuitive. You should be able to sell high over the course of a year and have a team value over 100 imo.

Auto-subbing sounds good. Another thing that annoys me with Yahoo's is that it penalizes you for selling players high. The add/drop just seems counter-intuitive. You should be able to sell high over the course of a year and have a team value over 100 imo.

exactly.....i got Fernando Torres dirt-cheap, something like 6.5 million and he's now worth around 12. but if i want to move him, and get away from the rotation system in Liverpool, i can only sell him for what i paid....silliness. you should be rewarded for making smart moves, not penalized, and that's another point in Barclay's favor.

i'll PM you the link and league entry code, just so you have it. i believe you have several hours before rosters lock for this weekend's matches.

Points after Week 1:

CB Chargers FC (Timmah!) - 50 points

Granicar (JSinisa) - 37 points

Come On Pelican (ewanbrown) - 35 points

Kaba Montreal FC (Dr. Whom) - 30 points

next week's matches are on Saturday and Sunday, the FSC programming guide is as follows:

Saturday: Liverpool v. Portsmouth (10am), Fulham v. Wigan (12pm), Middlesbrough v. West Ham (4.30)

Sunday: Man United v. Everton (7am), Blackburn v. Chelsea (11)

Still room for more owners!