Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Kanter112186

Nintendo 64

Honestly, I don't really know where to start. I could talk for hours and hours about how this is the best system to ever be released. I find it very depressing what video games have evolved into. Basically, I think today's games are a bit of a joke. What happened to difficulty in video games? This is going to a time before 64, but do you guys remember how hard regular Nintendo games were? No save point, dying upon one or two hits. One minor error and you were dead. I mean, Mega Man 2 was one of the best games ever because 1) it was just amazing and 2) because that fear of dying.

Video games today have been dumbed down for society and I think that's why I only find myself playing sports games these days. The last journey game I played was Uncharted 2. Don't get me wrong because that was one of the most fun games I have played in a long, long time. But bottom line is that it was ultimately very easy. Not only that, other then the climbing aspect, it was really similar to every other game that is being put out there today, which is just a shoot em up and rush through the board type game. That's really fun but it can get repetitive.

I bring up this topic because I sit at my desk at work today thinking about the game, or really the series, that changed my life forever and that is The Legend of Zelda. I kid you not, if I could give up everything and just play all of the titles, starting from Nintendo to current, I would in a heartbeat. The music. The gameplay. The strategy. The constant agony of trying to find out where you are going. Everything about this game is top notch. The thing that actually got me started on this at work was this YouTube clip:

. The items. Do you guys remember getting these for the first time and you were in awe? When I first got the Hookshot in Zelda I would just spend the next 3 days zipping around Hyrule. Hell even just running around the familiar landscape really just did it for me. The bow and arrow. The mini games. The hover boots. Freaking hover boots!!! Lens of Truth. Don't even get me started on the Water Temple because I'm sure we have all been there.

I think ultimately what my issue is with video games these days is that they are far too focused on Multiplayer. I understand that that is the time that we are in, but it's somewhat depressing. I mean, I played Gears of War 2 Multiplayer probably more then I have slept since I got it, but even still the Story Mode was a bit of a joke. Just very easy. I would love to see a game that actually involved some mystery, puzzles and adventures, but that just doesn't happen these days.

Anyway, just bring up stories about your memories of this incredible, incredible system. And if Ocarina of Time is 1, then Super Mario 64 is 1A because man oh man. I'd love to beat that game once a year.

I remember the first time created my own race track on excitebike. I called my parents over to show them the course I created and they were impressed. I promptly crashed and burned when I played the course to my parents delight and enjoyment. It was a real family moment.

ahh the memories....

Golden Eye

Excite Bike

Mario Tennis

Perfect Dark

Spent countless hours under the influence with my high school crew playing these games. Great times, and 3 of the best games of all time...

SNES is where I got that love that you have for the N64.

While I had a original Nintendo, and loved that, SNES amazed me.

Playing SMB, the colors, the huge world. The Save system!!

I'm a RPG geek, but Final Fantasy 2, and 3(4 and 6 for that that go with the jap numbers) were epic for me. The music of those game were amazing, the story lines. Heck I even used part of FF 2 music in my wedding. That how much of an impact it had to me.

But I think the bigger difference is not that the games were better then, it just that you are older now.

But I think the bigger difference is not that the games were better then, it just that you are older now.

I thought about that, and while it's true that I don't have time to play a game like Final Fantasy X (Top 2 game ever for me), I just don't think they make games like that anymore. I love video games. I will play it if it's worthy. Oh, another factor is having to pay for them yourselves. Sucks being a grown up. I want my mom to buy me my video games.

SNES is where I got that love that you have for the N64.

While I had a original Nintendo, and loved that, SNES amazed me.

Playing SMB, the colors, the huge world. The Save system!!

I'm a RPG geek, but Final Fantasy 2, and 3(4 and 6 for that that go with the jap numbers) were epic for me. The music of those game were amazing, the story lines. Heck I even used part of FF 2 music in my wedding. That how much of an impact it had to me.

Agreed...Zelda for 64 was great...but my favorite Zelda was for super nintendo...The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past...to this day I still beat the game once a year B) ...

Other games that were awesome:

NBA Jam TE

Madden (this is where it all started...each Christmas I got the new one from 92-98, or whenever I got 64...)

Super Mario World (Also my favorite of the series for all systems...)

Ken Griffey Jr. Presents Major League Baseball (Wow, I get excited just thinking about this game...)

Also, I agree, as the gaming systems progressed in technology/graphics the easier they became, as far as difficulty...

Agreed...Zelda for 64 was great...but my favorite Zelda was for super nintendo...The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past...to this day I still beat the game once a year B) ...

Other games that were awesome:

NBA Jam TE

Madden (this is where it all started...each Christmas I got the new one from 92-98, or whenever I got 64...)

Super Mario World (Also my favorite of the series for all systems...)

Ken Griffey Jr. Presents Major League Baseball (Wow, I get excited just thinking about this game...)

Also, I agree, as the gaming systems progressed in technology/graphics the easier they became, as far as difficulty...

Such a good game that I think I would actually murder to be able to play it again. I never fully beat it which bothers me to this day, so I'm going to have to do that again.

Super Mario World could be my favorite of the series (excluding SM 64, just too classic).

Does anyone remember Deon Sanders Prime Time Football on Sega Genesis. I really enjoyed that thing. I remember keeping stats on a pad of paper, because I was Barry Sanders and all I wanted to do was run. Great stuff.

SNES are on ebay for like 20 bucks. You can get a set with like 40 games(many actually good games) for like 50 bucks.

Craigslist as well, or you can just download the roms and play them on your phone or DS/PSP

SNES are on ebay for like 20 bucks. You can get a set with like 40 games(many actually good games) for like 50 bucks.

Craigslist as well, or you can just download the roms and play them on your phone or DS/PSP

I was looking at eBay for 64s. Might just go all out. I love it all.

Such a good game that I think I would actually murder to be able to play it again. I never fully beat it which bothers me to this day, so I'm going to have to do that again.

If you didn't want to buy it like Denbo32 mentioned, there are many really good snes emulators that you can download for free and play on your pc...most games can be difficult if you don't have a controller that usable for your pc, but Zelda is more that doable playing with a keyboard if that's your only option...you could be playing it in 5 mins...

If you didn't want to buy it like Denbo32 mentioned, there are many really good snes emulators that you can download for free and play on your pc...most games can be difficult if you don't have a controller that usable for your pc, but Zelda is more that doable playing with a keyboard if that's your only option...you could be playing it in 5 mins...

Haha, well it's funny you bring that up. That's how I played Link to the Past for the first time, through an emulator. I think I saved it at a bad spot and couldn't get past it. The only issue with going through it again is well, damn it's long! I'm barely home and when I am I have my puppy to take care of.

But it's definitely something I will be looking into during work B)

My first system was a N64. First game was All-Star baseball 99, remember playing it with my older cousin. My dad even played it with me back then. Also had Donkey Kong racing. There was a map and you could go all around it in a hovercraft, going to different worlds. I could never beat it, but my parents were actually addicted to it. I would come home from school to see them sitting there playing it all day, trying to beat the boss pig :) . I've still got the system with the games in a box somewhere. Off the top of my head, i had Donkey Kong, Snowboard Kids (awesome game), All-Star 99, Banjo-Kazooie, NBA 00, Golden Eye, Crusin USA, and a couple more.

Now days, the Xbox gears more towards multiplayer games (and ripping people off). If you like a challenge though, get Modern Warfare and set it on expert for campaign mode. You'll spend weeks trying to get through it, and you won't have to deal with 8 year olds yelling at you B) .

Thing about the Xbox is that it's a endless hole of wasted money. Back in the day, N64 never froze, never broke. My Xbox has broken 4 times and freezes to many times to count. These game cost's are also rediculous. Use to walk into EB games and buy one for $50 max. Now, once your done with the game, Xbox live, in game add-ons, etc, etc, your in the range of $120. The reason is it use to be about entertainment, now it's a business. I'm convinced that even if they knew how to fix them, they wouldn't. All about the money now days.

Golden Eye, NBA Jams, Brett Hull Hockey

Priceless. I still have mine hooked up to an old TV. Even Smash Brothers is still fun

My first system was a N64. First game was All-Star baseball 99, remember playing it with my older cousin. My dad even played it with me back then. Also had Donkey Kong racing. There was a map and you could go all around it in a hovercraft, going to different worlds. I could never beat it, but my parents were actually addicted to it. I would come home from school to see them sitting there playing it all day, trying to beat the boss pig :) . I've still got the system with the games in a box somewhere. Off the top of my head, i had Donkey Kong, Snowboard Kids (awesome game), All-Star 99, Banjo-Kazooie, NBA 00, Golden Eye, Crusin USA, and a couple more.

Now days, the Xbox gears more towards multiplayer games (and ripping people off). If you like a challenge though, get Modern Warfare and set it on expert for campaign mode. You'll spend weeks trying to get through it, and you won't have to deal with 8 year olds yelling at you B) .

Thing about the Xbox is that it's a endless hole of wasted money. Back in the day, N64 never froze, never broke. My Xbox has broken 4 times and freezes to many times to count. These game cost's are also rediculous. Use to walk into EB games and buy one for $50 max. Now, once your done with the game, Xbox live, in game add-ons, etc, etc, your in the range of $120. The reason is it use to be about entertainment, now it's a business. I'm convinced that even if they knew how to fix them, they wouldn't. All about the money now days.

I don't know about the problems with the xbox, I have had one since about 6 months after it came out, and I didn't have any problems with it, but I did replace it about 3 months ago when the slim xbox came out. But generally I haven't had any problem and I used to use it very heavy, now not so much.

My buddy had an N64...great times.

Golden Eye FTW!!!!!

I was a Sega Genesis guy myself.

Altered Beast

Golden Axe

Streets of Rage 2

Joe Montana's Football

Guest ciderjack6

Some games I remember playing a lot

1080 Snowboarding

Mario Party 1-3

Banjo Kazooie

F-Zero X

Mario Tennis

Mario Golf

Star Fox 64

WWF Wrestlemania

I got an N64 late actually, sophmore year of college. Man it was great to have! My roommate and I played hours of MarioKart. We even had someone come by to tell us to keep it down. I think it was a Sunday night. Lol.

I also played and beat Perfect Dark a few times.

Also "NFL Blitz" I think it was called was really fun.

I never owned a 64 but somehow still managed to play about 500 hours of Goldeneye. It was the first multiplayer FPS I ever played and it's been my favorite genre of games since. And yes Perfect Dark was sick as hell too. Laptop sentry guns were so bad a**.

I never owned a 64 but somehow still managed to play about 500 hours of Goldeneye. It was the first multiplayer FPS I ever played and it's been my favorite genre of games since. And yes Perfect Dark was sick as hell too. Laptop sentry guns were so bad a**.

I remember wasting whole weekends on this game...Get out of school on Friday, my neighbors would come over and we'd play nonstop until Sunday afternoon when football came on. It spent so so so many hours on that game.

Anyone who used Oddjob was a douche.

Haha fact. Goldeneye absolutely revolutionized the way video games were played. I mean, video games were great, but I don't remember a game before this one where you would gather with friends for 8 hour days and just play. MY favorite thing was to not look and choose a random board with random weapons. That way, everything is a total surprise.

Haha ya we always made Oddjob off limits. I think my favorite thing was Proximity mines in the Facilities. I actually can't remember many of the map names or even the guns, but I'll never forget the Klobb lol. Amazing how there hasn't been a very good Bond game since. Quantom of Solace was good but not great.

Haha fact. Goldeneye absolutely revolutionized the way video games were played. I mean, video games were great, but I don't remember a game before this one where you would gather with friends for 8 hour days and just play. MY favorite thing was to not look and choose a random board with random weapons. That way, everything is a total surprise.

Aztec and The Office were our 2 levels that we played, and pretty much only played. By far the best two they had! Anyone else actually happy that they never sold out, and only had the original game? Kind of makes it even better IMO.