Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

ISuckTDs

Respect Your Elders: Who Are Members 1-1000?

I noticed on my little tag, I'm member 50,000 something or other. I got to thinking, who were the members 1-1000? B)

What type of topics did you talk about in the good old days?

How have the forums changed since then?

Which one of you has the most posts?

Which one of you is "the" a _sshole of legendary proportions?

Which one of you is most respected for their roto knowledge?

Just curious.

Whoever you may be, make yourselves known. If so, I will from here on refer to you as "Your Honor" or "Don" as a sign of forum respect :) .

Hidden

I was an early member - under 500, but then I dared to voice an opinion about some overmodding that was going on at the time, and got banned. Came back, and wouldn't change my tune, so I got banned again. Then I just kept getting banned for months at a time for no reason because the guy had a stick up his a**. I eventually just created a new username (with full knowledge of other mods) so this idiot could save face. Then he eventually disappeared.

Like "Spider Man: The Musical" this thread must have seemed like a good idea.

But it's hard to imagine the stars staying healthy enough to simply get through the dress rehearsal phase.

I guess i'm an "elder"

member 91 with over 10,000 post.

I hope i've helped alot of people in basketball. I've learned a great deal about fantasy baseball and football.

C^2

Are you referring to TPFKACS, who became LinceArmstrong and might yet be lurking around here under another AKA?

Member 447 here....

Member #447 and Steve #300- I swear, the place was "Planet of the Steves" that first year. The New Stevedores. And most of you remain.

And yes, the forums were much better back then.

Well, 2007 had its ups and downs. 2008 was pretty quality. 2009 was the Robot Holocaust.

Still, what's it matter who was here first? I mean, seniority doesn't equal quality- except under a Steve Sky B) - and most of the site's best posters have 3 Star Ratings so you can't recognize quality via that system either.

Are you referring to TPFKACS, who became LinceArmstrong and might yet be lurking around here under another AKA?

The one and only

I'm an old-timer I guess - came over when the Fanball forums got troll-saturated FOUR YEARS ago. Insane. Fun trip down memory lane:

- When Rotobronco's login got hacked and the boards got deleted

- Postspamming - some members' incessant push to get over 10k posts (often replying to his own post 4 times w/ meaningless drivel)

- Chris O'Leary teaching us of the inverted W

- C2 picking fights w/ anyone who didn't agree w/ him

- Boobie-gate (when avatars were disabled b/c some wise-a** decided to put lewd pics up)

Lots of good posters but the ones that stick out are RRF with his book-long posts and bogfella with his studious pitcher-watching in the baseball forums and nomidi in the basketball forums. TiMan can't be beat on explaining defense (he did this massive write-up explaining different defensive sets teams use and why certain players are good for IDP) and has good words on offense as well - just make sure you have a dictionary handy when he waxes eloquent. B)

Actually the level of insight in the football forum has really come a long way as most people seem to know what they are talking about. Baseball is really good too, if you can sift through the Yankee/Red Sox circle-jerking. Basketball was the reason I came to the boards in the first place, and has slipped imho in recent years, as a lot of the good insight has left the boards or is not as frequently around for whatever reason.

- Postspamming - some member's incessant push to get over 10k posts (often replying to his own post 4 times w/ meaningless drivel)

Post-spamming didn't end there, sorry to say. A Members still do it to pad their count, to feel important. Most of the time they just rework something someone else said or repeat themselves.

- Postspamming... meaningless drivel)

And then there's the guys who, wanting to look like they have something to say, simply put things into different words than they or another member have already used.

drivel

And just to pad their post count, as if that carries some type of respect quotient, they post and post again the same thoughts in different ways, as if no one will catch on and finally ask the guy "ARE YOU A FREAKING ROBOT???"

B)

And then there's the guys who, wanting to look like they have something to say, simply put things into different words than they or another member have already used.

Haha - Well played. B)

Insightful Poster: "<insert player name> has shown good power as evidenced in a strong ISO, but his BABIP tends to indicate he is getting lucky. Nevertheless, he is a natural pull hitter and I expect him to continue his success throughout the season."

The Guy We're Talking About: "<insert player name here> is a good value at <insert position here> b/c he is a natural pull hitter and is a must start/must own in all leagues."

Yes, Skooder, that pretty much nails it.

The boards were much better back when 07 was around. Quality posts by a strong group of like 100 of us who were regulars. It seems most of them are not around anymore which is unfortunate. I have actually made some reliable Fantasy friends I still email off this site for advice on lineups etc.

I have actually made some reliable Fantasy friends ...

I have made some Fantasy Friends too.

This unnerves my girlfriend, who keeps telling me they're not real...

...but they're real to me.

I have made some Fantasy Friends too.

This unnerves my girlfriend, who keeps telling me they're not real...

...but they're real to me.

LOL, exactly. Women will never understand the bond between men that is fantasy people..... I mean sports.

I am posting because I'm pretty sure I'm in this group haha just too lazy to check my numbers...I have made a few good friends from this site, glad I joined when I did. This place was a much different beast back then.

LOL, exactly. Women will never understand the bond between men that is fantasy people..... I mean sports.

B)

I'm an old-timer I guess - came over when the Fanball forums got troll-saturated FOUR YEARS ago. Insane. Fun trip down memory lane:

- When Rotobronco's login got hacked and the boards got deleted

- Postspamming - some members' incessant push to get over 10k posts (often replying to his own post 4 times w/ meaningless drivel)

- Chris O'Leary teaching us of the inverted W

- C2 picking fights w/ anyone who didn't agree w/ him

- Boobie-gate (when avatars were disabled b/c some wise-a** decided to put lewd pics up)

Lots of good posters but the ones that stick out are RRF with his book-long posts and bogfella with his studious pitcher-watching in the baseball forums and nomidi in the basketball forums. TiMan can't be beat on explaining defense (he did this massive write-up explaining different defensive sets teams use and why certain players are good for IDP) and has good words on offense as well - just make sure you have a dictionary handy when he waxes eloquent. :)

Actually the level of insight in the football forum has really come a long way as most people seem to know what they are talking about. Baseball is really good too, if you can sift through the Yankee/Red Sox circle-jerking. Basketball was the reason I came to the boards in the first place, and has slipped imho in recent years, as a lot of the good insight has left the boards or is not as frequently around for whatever reason.

I'm not in "the" group, but just outside (so I hope it's ok that I respond B) ).

But this is a good post. Everyone is so quick to say "the boards were so much better back when..." As a teacher, I see this same phenomenon with my students. When I have them, last year was always better. And then the next year, they come back and tell me how much they missed me and how great it was. It always used to be better at some other time for some people.

While the boards may be saturated with more garbage, there is also more quality posters IMO. You just have to know who is and isn't worth listening to and ignore the rest. But I will say, especially on the baseball board, that there is some HIGH QUALITY analysis here (some Skoo mentioned, also The Czar, among others). Breakdowns of BABIP, xFIP, and anything else you could imagine. Better than paid content you could get anywhere. I've learned a ton over the years.

So to the newbies, the board is as strong as ever, and can always improve. Don't be a stat whore. Quality, not quantity. And help keep this place the best site for fantasy geeks like us.

I'm not in "the" group, but just outside (so I hope it's ok that I respond B) ).

But this is a good post. Everyone is so quick to say "the boards were so much better back when..." As a teacher, I see this same phenomenon with my students. When I have them, last year was always better. And then the next year, they come back and tell me how much they missed me and how great it was. It always used to be better at some other time for some people.

While the boards may be saturated with more garbage, there is also more quality posters IMO. You just have to know who is and isn't worth listening to and ignore the rest. But I will say, especially on the baseball board, that there is some HIGH QUALITY analysis here (some Skoo mentioned, also The Czar, among others). Breakdowns of BABIP, xFIP, and anything else you could imagine. Better than paid content you could get anywhere. I've learned a ton over the years.

So to the newbies, the board is as strong as ever, and can always improve. Don't be a stat whore. Quality, not quantity. And help keep this place the best site for fantasy geeks like us.

Doh, how could I forget Larry, the only remaining Sacramento King fan! Funny since I'm in a couple leagues with him. He's one of those we lost because some of these people aren't dedicated enough to having fake fantasy lives and want to spend time w/ their kids, improve their careers, etc. Losers. :)

My toast to those who have left the boards...