Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Popcorn Light

2007 MLB Draft Picks

My fantasy keeper league does a two round fantasy draft about a week after the real draft. We decided to institute the draft to give everyone a fair chance at all the top prospects. At the time of the draft I was winning our league and had the 12th and 24th picks in the amateur draft.

I drafted Andrew Brackman (over Beau Mills eek) & Matt Harvey

Anyways, we can freely add or drop our prospects until August 19th and then they're locked in through our major/minor league drafts next spring. No player from the supplemental 1st round and lower was drafted nor where these first rounders: J.P. Arencibia, Tim Alderson, Michael Main, Aaron Poreda, James Simmons, Ben Revere, or Wendell Fairley.

Has there been any 2007 draft pick tearing things up? Or a prospect from the lower rounds who will be in the top prospect radar anytime soon? I'm thinking things don't look good with Harvey signing for the Angels...

Also who do you think will be the first to be called up?

Thanks.

I heard that Laporta was already looking very good in his first couple weeks for the Brew Crew. As if they need another young masher. He will move fast because of all his time in college but his big problem will be finding a spot to play on the field. He is not good defensively so he is prob. limited to 1B and LF and Milwaukee is loaded in the outfield in the minors and majors. Otherwise I would predict that he would be big league ready some time in the second half next year. If there is an injury we could see him in the second half next year, otherwise 09 is the more likley ETA.

Brackman is a risk, reports are that the Yankees have signed him to a 3 million contract (which in my honest opinion is stupid) because there are major concerns about his arm. A lot of people believe he needs TJ surgery, so that knocks him out for next year, and production wise for atleast 2 years. So in essence, its like drafting an old high school arm. Considering they would have just gotten the same pick next year, I think its a risk. He does have talent, or atleast a big arm, but as we found out with Daniel Bard on the RedSox, that can only get you so far.

Going into the draft, my personal sleeper was Tanner Robles. Coming into his senior year, scouts had him as the next Clayton Kershaw with similar stuff and all. But he had an inconsistant start to the year, so he fell off the first round, and then because of signability, kept falling. Again, the Angels picked him up, but I'm not sure he will sign. I personally think he could be a sleeper in the minors if he signs, but I would wait till he signs and makes a couple of appearences before going after him. He's well below the radar at this point now, where I think you can wait and see if he does well before taking a chance on him. Other than that, I don't know if there are too many sleepers that other people won't notice either. Maybe Brad Suttle of the Yankees (out of Texas, I think a 3rd round pick) was rated pretty high as a hitter, but not with a lot of power. Carmen Angelini was supposed to be a top 20 pick talent wise, but fell because he had a strong committment to Rice University, but reports are that he has signed a deal. But those are high school players (except for Suttle), so they take on average around 3 years before you can start seeing production on the MLB level. Reports are that Porcello signed too. Manuel Barreda might be another one, he's been compared to Tim Lincecum a lot, because of his small size but power arm, but then again, thats a major injury risk too. He's signed and playing on the GCL Yankees I believe.

Is Jarrod Parker gone? I really liked his scouting report, but he's a HS kid too. Joe Savery could be an ok guy, but major injury risk with him too, but with the Phillies in desperate need of pitching, I could see him moving up the ladder pretty quickly there.