Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

redsoxdude5

I need a new phone!

Phone  

12 members have voted

1. 1. What Should I Get?

• iPhone4
    • Blackberry

OK, so here it is. D-Day. My Voyager just basically died. (With the help of me dropping it). I've been debating for a while which smart phone to get.

I have an iTouch, so I'm pretty familiar with what would be the iPhone set up. Here's what I have so far.

Pro iPhone:

* No need to pay an additional $5 a month to get to my school email

* Familiarity

* Larger screen

* Easy to have multiple tabs/apps going and to switch back and forth between them

Pro BB

* QWERTY keypad is a nice change so I don't always have to be looking at the screen

* BBM

* I think I like the size of the BB better, but it's not a huge difference

I'm leaning a bit towards the iPhone, but I'm willing to listen to what experienced customers have to say about them. I'll take most comments under advisement. I'd like to know opinions on the varying OS systems as well.

I have and will continue to have Verizon if that makes any difference. And because of my work, and my contract was due for an upgrade 2 years ago, just about anything will be free (hooray discounts) so price isn't an issue.

Thanks guys!

OK, so here it is. D-Day. My Voyager just basically died. (With the help of me dropping it). I've been debating for a while which smart phone to get.

I have an iTouch, so I'm pretty familiar with what would be the iPhone set up. Here's what I have so far.

Pro iPhone:

* No need to pay an additional $5 a month to get to my school email

* Familiarity

* Larger screen

* Easy to have multiple tabs/apps going and to switch back and forth between them

Pro BB

* QWERTY keypad is a nice change so I don't always have to be looking at the screen

* BBM

* I think I like the size of the BB better, but it's not a huge difference

I'm leaning a bit towards the iPhone, but I'm willing to listen to what experienced customers have to say about them. I'll take most comments under advisement. I'd like to know opinions on the varying OS systems as well.

I have and will continue to have Verizon if that makes any difference. And because of my work, and my contract was due for an upgrade 2 years ago, just about anything will be free (hooray discounts) so price isn't an issue.

Thanks guys!

I have Verizon as well, so here is my .02.......coming from a non-tech guy as well, so if anyone wants to chime in, feel free.....

I bought one of the first Droids that came out a couple years ago and it's the best phone I've ever gotten. I'm sure the newer models are even better, although I would prefer the Droid 2 over the Droid X because of the slide out keyboard. I just hate using the touch screen to type. I've never had a BB, so I can't really comment on that.

I'd be lying if I said I wasn't considering the Verizon iPhone (mostly because I also have an iPod touch and would really like to just consolidate both gadgets into one. One thing I don't use my droid for is music, mostly because I'm comfortable with how the iPod is set up and I don't want to tie up most of the memory.

The main reasons why I am not getting an iPhone right now.....

1. There's simply nothing wrong with my droid and my contract isn't up until October (I think I am eligible for an upgrade sometime this summer, but not 100%)

2. Every one of these smartphones seems to have problems with the launch.....I had issues setting up the email account on the Droid (which was a widespread issue setting up Yahoo email accounts), the iPhone 4 had the death grip thing, etc. I dont know if its because systems get overloaded with so many new people using it for the first time at the same time, but I prefer to wait and see which ones are best reviewed. One thing you know will happen is that there are a TON of people with Verizon service for years who have waited patiently for the iPhone and will switch on the first day, so its something to consider.

3. From everything I have read, it sounds like the Verizon iPhone at launch isn't even their top of the line stuff. Do your own research, but if memory serves correct, I believe AT&T will get the iphone 5 first. I feel like if I'm going to go all in with the iPhone, I want the best available on the market.....and I shouldn't have to switch to AT&T's crappy service to get it.

I would say if you need a phone right now, get the top of the line Droid available (might still be the Droid 2, I'm not sure since I haven't been keeping up on it). If you can afford to wait, maybe the iPhone will be just fine....

Hope that helps

Well, my phone literally broke today. So it's kind of pressing. I, ideally, planned on waiting to convert until the bugs had been worked out first. I can't seem to adjust to the aesthetics of the Droid line. And there's so much turnover you can have trouble down the line. I know my friend who has the 2nd droid has problem just gettin a case.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/For-iPhone-A...951090.html?x=0

http://www.boston.com/business/technology/...ostPop_Emailed6

Tough call since you need a phone now. I dont suppose you have insurance on the old one. I would be tempted to wait until the summer to see if the iPhone 5 is coming out.

Thanks for the links. I'd love to be able to hold out till mid summer (to hopefully avoid the new bugs that will have to be fixed with i5) but I doubt it.

iPhone is light years better then any other phone. It's actually life changing. I'd say go with that. I haven't been bored in 4 years.

Coming from the blackberry about 2 years ago, the iPhone is 120938120981290823081203 TIMES better than the blackberry.

Love my iPhone.

I have Verizon as well, so here is my .02.......coming from a non-tech guy as well, so if anyone wants to chime in, feel free.....

I bought one of the first Droids that came out a couple years ago and it's the best phone I've ever gotten. I'm sure the newer models are even better, although I would prefer the Droid 2 over the Droid X because of the slide out keyboard. I just hate using the touch screen to type. I've never had a BB, so I can't really comment on that.

I'd be lying if I said I wasn't considering the Verizon iPhone (mostly because I also have an iPod touch and would really like to just consolidate both gadgets into one. One thing I don't use my droid for is music, mostly because I'm comfortable with how the iPod is set up and I don't want to tie up most of the memory.

The main reasons why I am not getting an iPhone right now.....

1. There's simply nothing wrong with my droid and my contract isn't up until October (I think I am eligible for an upgrade sometime this summer, but not 100%)

2. Every one of these smartphones seems to have problems with the launch.....I had issues setting up the email account on the Droid (which was a widespread issue setting up Yahoo email accounts), the iPhone 4 had the death grip thing, etc. I dont know if its because systems get overloaded with so many new people using it for the first time at the same time, but I prefer to wait and see which ones are best reviewed. One thing you know will happen is that there are a TON of people with Verizon service for years who have waited patiently for the iPhone and will switch on the first day, so its something to consider.

3. From everything I have read, it sounds like the Verizon iPhone at launch isn't even their top of the line stuff. Do your own research, but if memory serves correct, I believe AT&T will get the iphone 5 first. I feel like if I'm going to go all in with the iPhone, I want the best available on the market.....and I shouldn't have to switch to AT&T's crappy service to get it.

I would say if you need a phone right now, get the top of the line Droid available (might still be the Droid 2, I'm not sure since I haven't been keeping up on it). If you can afford to wait, maybe the iPhone will be just fine....

Hope that helps

These are reasons why I'm holding out, myself.

My wife hated her Motorola, so I let her take the early upgrade and she got a Droid 2, which she still really, really likes. I was eligible to upgrade from my Voyager back in December, but while the wife and I were wandering through a mall, we saw the Verizon store advertising iPads, and I made my mind up at that point to hold out until iPhone come out for Verizon. I already have a Touch, so I'll have apps all ready to load in when the time comes.

It's going to mean few more months of the Voyager, which is fine by me, other than some light scratches on the touchscreen, it's still in excellent shape (knock on wood).

IIRC, the iPhone 4 came out mid-summer last year (I was at an apple store the same time Winston Justice of the Eagles was there picking one up), so I'm hoping that I'll be able to get a new phone around early fall.

These are reasons why I'm holding out, myself.

My wife hated her Motorola, so I let her take the early upgrade and she got a Droid 2, which she still really, really likes. I was eligible to upgrade from my Voyager back in December, but while the wife and I were wandering through a mall, we saw the Verizon store advertising iPads, and I made my mind up at that point to hold out until iPhone come out for Verizon. I already have a Touch, so I'll have apps all ready to load in when the time comes.

It's going to mean few more months of the Voyager, which is fine by me, other than some light scratches on the touchscreen, it's still in excellent shape (knock on wood).

IIRC, the iPhone 4 came out mid-summer last year (I was at an apple store the same time Winston Justice of the Eagles was there picking one up), so I'm hoping that I'll be able to get a new phone around early fall.

I'm in the same position as you Timmah. I've had the Voyager for 4 years and I've been eligible for an upgrade for two. Until now I was hoping to hold out till the iPhone5 and a couple months after the release to avoid all the bugs. I have an iTouch so the transition should be quite easy.

Thanks everyone for your input. I'm leaning pretty heavily to the iPhone but will still consider any and all opinions

if money isnt an issue, than Iphone for sure. But I would recommend just probably getting any phone since you already have an Itouch which you could use for your music/games.......