• Announcements

• Patrick Bateman

Check out the new Rotoworld Beta Site!   11/14/2018

Rotoworld has been the industry leader in fantasy news and analysis for years, but it was time for a much-needed facelift!  While our around-the-clock, comprehensive coverage will remain the same, the new Rotoworld design will be sleeker, easier to navigate, more video-friendly and will finally be mobile-optimized.    That’s right, you can finally stop pinching the screens on your phones to read our content!  Right now we’re in the beta phase of our launch, and it’s still a work-in-progress, but we’d love for you to check out our soon-to-be new digs, and let us know what you think: https://beta.rotoworld.com.    And then please use the Contact Us button to give us feedback!  

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

drcrappants

What is considered an assist?

what is considered an assist? pass to a guy and he dribbles to the basket for a dunk?

last year guys with 7, 8+ assist per game were rare. now there's tons. has the definition of assist changed?

While I have found the definition of many stats to be a bit subjective, I think what you are seeing is both an age of upbeat offenses and the greatest generation of pg's the NBA has ever seen.

what is considered an assist? pass to a guy and he dribbles to the basket for a dunk?

last year guys with 7, 8+ assist per game were rare. now there's tons. has the definition of assist changed?

From watching quite a bit of basketball this year, I've noticed that an assist is generally counted when a player passes the ball, and the receiver from the pass takes up to 2 dribbles and then either attempts a shot or layup. 2 dribbles is generally 4-5 steps. Those 2 dribbles could be in the post, on a fast break, or into a pull up jumper. Also, I noted that when a player receives a pass, then shoots and gets fouled within 2 dribbles, if they make it, it is counted as an assist. I'm not sure if it's always been this way, but this is what I have picked up from observation.

yea this year, i been noticing assist has been kinda odd. Seems like anyone gets assist for being the last person that passed the ball to the scorer even though that person didn't really make a play for them.

yea this year, i been noticing assist has been kinda odd. Seems like anyone gets assist for being the last person that passed the ball to the scorer even though that person didn't really make a play for them.

That woudl be how it works though. The last person to touch the ball before it is passed to a player that scores gets the assist. There does not have to be a designed play for an assist to be recorded. Take a fast break for example... that is not a designed play that is ran by the offense.. passes are made on fast breaks and they count as assists. Also I do beleive the player is allowed One dribble before it is an unassisted basket. But I am not sure if that is correct.. it could be 2 dribbles like the prior poster said.

Out of curiosity, I looked up the top 10 in APG this year and last year, for comparison.

This season:

Rondo 12.3

Nash 11.1

Paul 9.7

D. Williams 9.6

Wall 9.0

Felton 8.9

Calderon 8.8

Westbrook 8.6

Kidd 8.2

Rose 8.2

and last season:

Nash 11.0

Paul 10.7

D. Williams 10.5

Rondo 9.8

Kidd 9.1

LeBron 8.5

Baron 8.0

Westbrook 8.0

Arenas 7.2

Harris 6.6

So yeah, it does look there are more top-level assist guys. Either last year was an aberration, or this year is. It sure seems like a variety of factors have come together this year (Felton going to D'Antoni offense, Wall entering league, Rose improving as a PG, Calderon getting the job to himself) which have spiked assist totals.

By the way, 08-09 looks a lot like 09-10 so I think it's kind of a perfect storm situation going on right now.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe an assist is when you pass the ball to someone with the intent of scoring even if that someone dribbles once or twice.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe an assist is when you pass the ball to someone with the intent of scoring even if that someone dribbles once or twice.

The intent doesnt matter. It can be an assist if the player scores on accident, but there is a limit on dribbles before the assist is negated. I just don't know what the rule exactly is.

I did some quick calculations in a spread sheet, and what I got is that assists are slightly more common this year even though the rate of field goals per minute has decreased. This year, there have been 33901 assists on 58698 made field goals, so 57.8% of field goals have been assisted. Last year, there were 52222 assists on 92668 field goals, so 56.4% of field goals were assisted. There have been about 2.5% more assists per field goal than there were last year, but whether that is due to generous scorekeepers, offenses changing to create more shots off passes, or an infusion of PG talent is up for debate.

it's a pass that leads to a basket...up to the scorekeeper to determine what is an assists and was is not.

Basically what I have noticed is that if the player scores within 3 seconds of receiving the pass, it would be an assist. Usually this is about 3 dribbles or so and they are pretty lenient when it comes to assists, but I dont know how it was like in the old days. A player can receive a pass from posting up, then turn around, give a pump fake and then take one dribble, then shoot and score the ball and it would count as an assist. Whether or not you agree with this, it is how it is being recorded today.

A player can receive a pass from posting up, then turn around, give a pump fake and then take one dribble, then shoot and score the ball and it would count as an assist.

this, in most cases, is not true...an entry pass to a post player pretty much never counts as an assist, unless the post player automatically makes his move as he turns around. if he takes a dribble AND turns around, that shouldn't and typically doesn't count as an assist.

I've noticed there is a little of a gray area in what is determined an assist when a player takes a dribble or 2 after the pass. When the dribble or 2 is considered to have helped create the shot more so than the pass then I have seen it not counted as an assist even if it was only 1 dribble. But if the pass clearly helped create the shot even if there was 2 dribbles after it was condsidered an assist. I think this comes down to the judgement of the official scorers and sometimes I have noticed similar plays called differently (in 2 seperate games though). I don't think this has anything to do with the rise in assists this year however. I think there are more elite point guards now than before with Rose and Westbrook emerging and Felton joining D'Antoni's system.

I've noticed there is a little of a gray area in what is determined an assist when a player takes a dribble or 2 after the pass. When the dribble or 2 is considered to have helped create the shot more so than the pass then I have seen it not counted as an assist even if it was only 1 dribble. But if the pass clearly helped create the shot even if there was 2 dribbles after it was condsidered an assist. I think this comes down to the judgement of the official scorers and sometimes I have noticed similar plays called differently (in 2 seperate games though). I don't think this has anything to do with the rise in assists this year however. I think there are more elite point guards now than before with Rose and Westbrook emerging and Felton joining D'Antoni's system.

yea...like i said, it's always been the scorekeepers job to judge whether a pass leads to a basket or not. they can only go by the definition, as there is no official stipulation. a pass that leads to a basket. nothing more, nothing less. if the player seemingly created the shot for himself, it usually wont count as an assist. a pump-fake usually cancels out the assist...a post-up, turn around, dribble followed by a pump-fake will pretty much never get counted as an assist, as a post-move is created by the post player and not the passer.

this, in most cases, is not true...an entry pass to a post player pretty much never counts as an assist, unless the post player automatically makes his move as he turns around. if he takes a dribble AND turns around, that shouldn't and typically doesn't count as an assist.

by defintion it shouldnt but I have been following boxscores and games together sometimes and it is the case most of the time. Scorekeepers are very lenient with the assists category and if you follow it that way, you will see it that way too.

You're wrong. I've watched enough basketball this year while watching live boxscores to know that when a post player receives a pass with his back to the basket, he can take one to two dribbles and if he goes up for a shot, regardless if he pumps or not, the passer gets an assist.

I'll give you an example. While watching a Bulls game Derrick Rose passed the ball to Carlos Boozer while he was on the block. Carlos then took a dribble, spun his man off him and then laid it up. +1 assist.

You're wrong. I've watched enough basketball this year while watching live boxscores to know that when a post player receives a pass with his back to the basket, he can take one to two dribbles and if he goes up for a shot, regardless if he pumps or not, the passer gets an assist.

I'll give you an example. While watching a Bulls game Derrick Rose passed the ball to Carlos Boozer while he was on the block. Carlos then took a dribble, spun his man off him and then laid it up. +1 assist.

right, if he takes a quick dribble and automatically goes up for a shot, it can be judged as an assist, though the judgement would be very lenient...but if he took a dribble, then turned around, THEN went for a pump fake before he shot it, the pump fake should automatically negate the assist, as it wasnt the pass that led to the basket, but rather the series of moves...if a scorekeeper counts that as an assist, he is flat out wrong.

It is subject to the scorekeepers in the NBA to record an assist, but I'm pretty sure they have to follow certain guidelines. The simple assist is the one someone passes to someone and that person shoots pretty much right away without having to make a move and makes it. It can also be when the passer gives the receiver the ball and they take their 1.5 or in NBA 2 steps, with zero or one dribble maximum and puts it in, while going pretty much straight to the hoop. The ones in the low post are harder as people have mentioned in regards if the post player had to make moves to get himself open. If the move is pretty direct, even if he fakes one way, immediately dribbles the opposite way and up for shot, is an assist. If he has to make multiple moves, or more than one dribble it won't be an assist. I've always understood that there is no assist if the person dribbles more than once. The assist should somehow lead to the score theoretically.

The scorekeepers get some leeway it seems. I've seen blocks and steals recorded wrong or not recorded all the time and sometimes shocked how they missed them or gave it to the wrong person, but that's another subject on scorekeepers.

It is subject to the scorekeepers in the NBA to record an assist, but I'm pretty sure they have to follow certain guidelines. The simple assist is the one someone passes to someone and that person shoots pretty much right away without having to make a move and makes it. It can also be when the passer gives the receiver the ball and they take their 1.5 or in NBA 2 steps, with zero or one dribble maximum and puts it in, while going pretty much straight to the hoop. The ones in the low post are harder as people have mentioned in regards if the post player had to make moves to get himself open. If the move is pretty direct, even if he fakes one way, immediately dribbles the opposite way and up for shot, is an assist. If he has to make multiple moves, or more than one dribble it won't be an assist. I've always understood that there is no assist if the person dribbles more than once. The assist should somehow lead to the score theoretically.

The scorekeepers get some leeway it seems. I've seen blocks and steals recorded wrong or not recorded all the time and sometimes shocked how they missed them or gave it to the wrong person, but that's another subject on scorekeepers.

I agree except I think that there is no 1 dribble limit, I have definitely seen some 2 dribble baskets count as assists. Not to change the subject too much but as for steals I was watching a game where Iggy stole the ball and was going out of bounds and threw it off an opposing player and it went out of bounds. I thought for sure that should be a steal...he even had possession of the ball before he threw it. I checked the boxscore and it said out of bounds turnover by Ginobili. I was surprised this wasn't a steal. Anyway the point being, steals and many assists are a judgement call by the scorekeeper and there will always be some calls that we may disagree with.

is it considered an assist if for example Derrick Rose passes the ball to Boozer, and Boozer holds it for like 5 seconds before shooting it and making the shot?

is it considered an assist if for example Derrick Rose passes the ball to Boozer, and Boozer holds it for like 5 seconds before shooting it and making the shot?

5 seconds? It shouldnt but in some cases I have seen it count.

If a player pauses after catching the ball and then takes like a jab step and a dribble its probably not an assist. I was under the impression that there was a one dribble rule but I guess not.