Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

2ndCitySox

Best Jimi Hendrix song?

So every time I think I've figured out what I think is the best Hendrix song, I listen to another album and think "damn, that's a great song too".

Can anyone here definitively say, "Good sir, I do believe the best song by Mr. Hendrix is...."?

I'm a Manic Depression man myself.

Voodoo Child by far IMO... followed by Hey Joe, All Along the Watch Tower, and Purple Haze.

Purple Haze- Sure it has become a rock cliche. But man, incredible. And think about this: 1966. Damn. Because of what it represents this is #1 for me.

Voodoo Chile- Cry Baby heaven. Modified the tongue to increase tonal width. Throw in the dynamics and you can teach yourself how to play blues rock by learning this tune.

The Wind Cries Mary- Along with the next one, a moving, beautiful Hendrix tune you can play affectively and unaccompanied on an acoustic guitar.

Little Wing- A Beautiful Ode. You can taste that girl.

All Along The Watchtower- This Dylan tune was an obsession with Jimi. He worked on it the better have of the year and played multiple parts. That solo is as good as any ever written, light years ahead of anything that had been done to that time.

Shame on me

Voodoo Chile- Cry Baby heaven. Modified the tongue to increase tonal width. Throw in the dynamics and you can teach yourself how to play blues rock by learning this tune.

Having got out Electric Ladyland, inspired by this thread, I realized that of course I meant Slight Return, not the (Part 1) actual blues jam Voodoo Chile. I played the tune til I couldn't play anymore and I couldn't even remember the name this morning? Cripes. (Voodoo Chile does have one badd*ss solo tho.)

All Along The Watchtower- This Dylan tune was an obsession with Jimi. He worked on it the better have of the year and played multiple parts. That solo is as good as any ever written, light years ahead of anything that had been done to that time.

"better have of the year". WTF? Man, bad morning.

Little Wing- A Beautiful Ode. You can taste that girl.

Slightly OT, but here's a question - and post-smack me if i'm being anti-purist, but which do you like better, Hendrix's version or SRV? I gotta go the latter, esp. this one live recording I heard that was like 10-15 minutes long and was off the wall balls awesome.

I have similar feelings about Built to Spill's live recording of Neil Young's "Cortez the Killer" b/c it's in that same grinding jam style I love, which again some purists may hate me for. Of course the live DMB version w/ Warren Haynes of Allman Bros fame is one of the most epic live versions of the song too.

Slightly OT, but here's a question - and post-smack me if i'm being anti-purist, but which do you like better, Hendrix's version or SRV? I gotta go the latter, esp. this one live recording I heard that was like 10-15 minutes long and was off the wall balls awesome.

I have similar feelings about Built to Spill's live recording of Neil Young's "Cortez the Killer" b/c it's in that same grinding jam style I love, which again some purists may hate me for. Of course the live DMB version w/ Warren Haynes of Allman Bros fame is one of the most epic live versions of the song too.

Tough call. Little wing is one of my favorite songs of all time, and both Jimi and SRV do it justice.

With such a great song, the longer it is the better I guess. If Jimi could just made it 3:30-4:00 long, it would probably blow SRV out of the water. Even still, that 2 minutes and change is pure beauty

I don't even know how to describe it, but you can't go wrong with either.

As far as best songs go, Spanish Castle Magic also should get some love here.

I far prefer Derek and the Dominos versions of Little Wing to Stevie Ray's.

For me a cover is one that manages to bring a nuance to the forefront that the original had only lingering in the background, or completely reinterpret the work altogether. D&D worked for me, kinda' on both levels, plus it was an incendiary tribute. Love the vocal harmonies.

Stevie's was pure tribute. The use of the "thumb bassline" (check out "Couldn't Stand the Weather" for an easily heard example) and many other traces of Jimi's style echo through Stevie Ray's works. I think his Little Wing had more to do about demonstrating love and appreciation, a true homage, than an actual "take" or reimagining on/of the song. That's what I felt the first time I heard it and it's how I regard it today.

(All links to YouTube)

Realize that a personal favorite was not mentioned. Badass feedback.

If 6 was 9

Realize that a personal favorite was not mentioned. Badass feedback.

If 6 was 9

People don't realize "Thank You" by Led Zeppelin took some snippets from this song.

I always liked Little Wing, but you can't really go wrong with most of Jimi's work.