Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Lansdowne

Zach Britton SP BAL

One of the top pitching prospects this season and could make the team out of spring training. Deserves his own thread.

Zach Britton maintained his 0.00 ERA by shutting out the Astros for four innings in a victory Saturday.

Britton got eight groundouts and two strikeouts in his four innings. He's up to nine scoreless innings this spring, and he's making a very strong case for a spot in Baltimore's rotation. For financial reasons, it'd make sense for the Orioles to send him down for a couple of months. However, the team's desire to get off to a decent start this year might win out this time. Mar 12, 4:39 PM

One of the top pitching prospects this season and could make the team out of spring training. Deserves his own thread.

Zach Britton maintained his 0.00 ERA by shutting out the Astros for four innings in a victory Saturday.

Britton got eight groundouts and two strikeouts in his four innings. He's up to nine scoreless innings this spring, and he's making a very strong case for a spot in Baltimore's rotation. For financial reasons, it'd make sense for the Orioles to send him down for a couple of months. However, the team's desire to get off to a decent start this year might win out this time. Mar 12, 4:39 PM

Britton is one of my favorite prospects going into this year. Part of that is because I am an Orioles fan. But I also like pitchers that produce a lot of groundballs and he has a very nice slider that will equip him with the potential to get the strikeout when he needs it. And while I am getting excited at the potential of him possibly starting out the year as the #5 starter, there's just no way this happens unless there's another injury somewhere. It wouldn't make sense for the Orioles to give the spot to Britton over Tillman. Tillman has shown that he has little to learn at Triple A, he needs to harness his craft at the major league level (as scary as that might sound given his track record thus far). I guess an argument could be made that Bergesen could make room for Britton, but there's little to no chance of that.

Even though the Orioles are giving the impression to their casual fans that they are trying to be more competitve this year, most of the more knowledgable fans have to acknowledge that their chances of that are slim to none. So with that in mind, and I'm sure the organization knows this as well, they will delay the clock on one of their top prospects. There's a good chance he's up around June if Duke is on the DL and one of Arrieta, Bergesen or Tillman proves to be ineffective in the rotation.

Britton is one of my favorite prospects going into this year. Part of that is because I am an Orioles fan. But I also like pitchers that produce a lot of groundballs and he has a very nice slider that will equip him with the potential to get the strikeout when he needs it. And while I am getting excited at the potential of him possibly starting out the year as the #5 starter, there's just no way this happens unless there's another injury somewhere. It wouldn't make sense for the Orioles to give the spot to Britton over Tillman. Tillman has shown that he has little to learn at Triple A, he needs to harness his craft at the major league level (as scary as that might sound given his track record thus far). I guess an argument could be made that Bergesen could make room for Britton, but there's little to no chance of that.

Even though the Orioles are giving the impression to their casual fans that they are trying to be more competitve this year, most of the more knowledgable fans have to acknowledge that their chances of that are slim to none. So with that in mind, and I'm sure the organization knows this as well, they will delay the clock on one of their top prospects. There's a good chance he's up around June if Duke is on the DL and one of Arrieta, Bergesen or Tillman proves to be ineffective in the rotation.

It really does come down to the financial aspects of the game. Britton has one of the best sinkers around - some rate it the best in the minors last season - and that produces that nice GB/FB ratio. He does not (imho) have Matusz upside, but he is in the same category as Arrieta and is now well ahead of Tillman and even further ahead of Bergesen when considering their potential impact. Their best rotation right now and going forward would include Duchscherer, Arrieta and Britton 3-5, assuming Duchscherer can stay healthy (obviously a very risky assumption). So do they start Britton's clock?

Normally, I would say its unlikely, BUT the O's signings/acquisitions suggest they want to build up some positive attitude within a franchise that was sliding into "white flag" status. Showalter gave them a shot late last year and they were above .500 after the change. That kind of thing can be contagious and they may be starting to believe they can be competitive even if they are not necessarily in the same class as the Red Sox, Yankees, etc. If that is the objective, Britton's early season chances to contribute are considerably better.

It really does come down to the financial aspects of the game. Britton has one of the best sinkers around - some rate it the best in the minors last season - and that produces that nice GB/FB ratio. He does not (imho) have Matusz upside, but he is in the same category as Arrieta and is now well ahead of Tillman and even further ahead of Bergesen when considering their potential impact. Their best rotation right now and going forward would include Duchscherer, Arrieta and Britton 3-5, assuming Duchscherer can stay healthy (obviously a very risky assumption). So do they start Britton's clock?

Normally, I would say its unlikely, BUT the O's signings/acquisitions suggest they want to build up some positive attitude within a franchise that was sliding into "white flag" status. Showalter gave them a shot late last year and they were above .500 after the change. That kind of thing can be contagious and they may be starting to believe they can be competitive even if they are not necessarily in the same class as the Red Sox, Yankees, etc. If that is the objective, Britton's early season chances to contribute are considerably better.

I agree with the first part of your statement. I don't think he has Matusz upside either, but I like him more than I like Arrieta. Arrieta is still a work in process, and that's not to say Britton doesn't have his flaws...but I do think that Britton has a better chance to hit the ground running than the other Orioles pitching prosects that have come up recently. That is mainly because of his sinker. That is a pitch he is going to have to utilize to be successful, especially given the division he pitches in. His slider has progressed along very nicely as well. While I can see Arrieta and Britton have similar ceilings, I think Britton's floor is a heck of a lot better than Arrieta.

As far as him starting with the team to start the year? I understand both sides of the argument, and I do believe that Bergesen offers little to no upside. But there is no indication that he will be exiled as of yet. It also doesn't bode well that Britton hasn't pitched since March 12th, I thought for sure he would have pitched this past weekend.

I agree with the first part of your statement. I don't think he has Matusz upside either, but I like him more than I like Arrieta. Arrieta is still a work in process, and that's not to say Britton doesn't have his flaws...but I do think that Britton has a better chance to hit the ground running than the other Orioles pitching prosects that have come up recently. That is mainly because of his sinker. That is a pitch he is going to have to utilize to be successful, especially given the division he pitches in. His slider has progressed along very nicely as well. While I can see Arrieta and Britton have similar ceilings, I think Britton's floor is a heck of a lot better than Arrieta.

As far as him starting with the team to start the year? I understand both sides of the argument, and I do believe that Bergesen offers little to no upside. But there is no indication that he will be exiled as of yet. It also doesn't bode well that Britton hasn't pitched since March 12th, I thought for sure he would have pitched this past weekend.

My bad, I should have researched this further. He actually started a game against the Single-A Rays Club. The Orioles will apparently make another round of cuts Wednesday or Thursday. Britton is lined up to pitch tomorrow against the Yankees.

The 23 year old Baltimore pitching prospect has had a phenomenal Spring while battling for the 5th starter spot. What do you guys think of his chances of making the rotation and how do you see his year playing out?

He pitched GREAT yesterday, and gave up his first run of the Spring. Mainly due to a poor play by Hardy to not turn a DP to get him out of the inning.

He'll be in Baltimore by the All Star break, and when he gets the call he'll be instantly a factor.

He's not in the MiLB anymore though, he's important in relation to people's MLB fantasy team's now.

He'll start the season in AAA, I can bet money on that.

He's not in the MiLB anymore though, he's important in relation to people's MLB fantasy team's now.

He is technically still in the MiLB. If we are going there, Jesus Montero and Austin Romine wouldn't be talked about in the MiLB forum either. Like the note says, there hasn't been any hard evidence that he will break camp with the team. All there has been is speculation, but the way the Orioles handle their players (other than Markakis) recently has been to send them down to delay their service clock. If something happens to another starter outside of Duchscherer, then maybe he makes the team. But right now you are looking at Guthrie/Matusz/Bergesen/Arrieta/Tillman as your starting five, with Duchscherer apparently aiming to return mid-April.

So right now, I wouldn't say that Britton warrants fantasy consideration unless you are playing in a deep league. He is definitely someone to keep an eye come late May/early June when most people think he will make the jump to the majors.

from RW front page:

Orioles president Andy MacPhail indicated Friday that Brian Matusz's back injury could impact whether prospect left-hander Zach Britton begins the season in the minor leagues.

"It could depending on what kind of news we get (on Matusz) and how long term we’re looking," said MacPhail. Britton posted a 1.35 ERA over 20 innings this spring, so he'd be a natural alternative if Matusz had to miss significant time. Either way, he's on the fast track to the big leagues.

Orioles prospect left-hander Zach Britton will make his major league debut Sunday against the Rays.--Rotoworld

should be promoted after a few more rehab starts.. he is strugggling a bit.. something expected when not pitching for so long...

expectations for 2012?