Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Skoodog

Epic Covers

The Jimi thread inspired me to carry my question of great classics where the cover is better than the original. What do you got?

My picks:

Stevie Ray Vaughn - Jimi Hendrix's "Little Wing"

Jimi Hendrix - Dylan's "All Along the Watchtower"

DMB and Warren Haynes - Neil Young's "Cortez the Killer"

Led Zeppelin - Muddy Waters' "You Shook Me"

"Watchtower" is mentioned.

Here are some:

Song_______________Covering Artist

Statesboro Blues- Allman Brothers

Crossroads - Cream

The First Time Ever I Saw Your Face- Roberta Flack

Mad World- Gary Jules

Call Me The Breeze - Lynyrd Skynyrd

Roll Over Beethoven- ELO

Gotta' Get You Into My Life- Earth, Wind and Fire

Midnight Special- Creedence Clearwater Revival

Proud Mary- Ike and Tina Turner

Fanfare for the Common Man and Suite From Rodeo (Hoedown) - Emerson Lake and Palmer

You Really Got Me- Van Halen

Connection- Montrose

I Will Survive- Cake

Feelings- Offspring

RATM's Renegades album has some amazing covers on it. "Pistol Grip Pump", "Ghost of Tom Joad", "Microphone Fiend", and "How I Could Just Kill a Man" are my personal favorites, it's arguable if they're all better than the originals.

Other ones I like are Mike Ness doing Dylan's "Don't Think Twice, It's Alright", but don't know it's better than the original, and Nirvana doing Bowie's "The Man Who Sold the World" and Leadbelly's "Where Did You Sleep Last Night?" Also Harry Nilsson's "Everybody's Talkin" is much better than the original by Fred Neil.

Slightly OT, but I recently heard two newer cover of Johnny Cash. No idea who the bands are, but one covered Hurt and another covered Ring of Fire... anyways, those have to by the worst covers ever, and it's not even close. They make me want to never listen to the original ever again, because it makes me think of the cover and pisses me off.

Slightly OT, but I recently heard two newer cover of Johnny Cash. No idea who the bands are, but one covered Hurt and another covered Ring of Fire... anyways, those have to by the worst covers ever, and it's not even close. They make me want to never listen to the original ever again, because it makes me think of the cover and pisses me off.

Johnny Cash covered NIN's "Hurt" and the NIN version is SO much better - I love old school Cash, but he was too old to do a decent recording when he recorded that song. Sounds like some old man at a convalescent home. I'm all for respecting the greats of old, but sometimes when they get old, they're no longer great. Also, they changed the words in the cover so Cash wouldn't have to swear or something..."I wear these crown of thorns" totally changes the original meaning of the song from "I wear this crown of sh*t."

You probably heard Social Distortion's Ring of Fire cover and yes, that band should be forced to stop making more music. All of it sounds exactly the same and it's soul-less (imho).

Fiona Apple did a really good job with The Beatles' "Across the Universe"...not better than the original, but very solid, and a female voice works well with it.

The Pet Shop Boys did very well with Blur's "Boys & Girls" and "Go West" by the Village People.

On the flip side, Jamie Cullum covered Doves' "Catch The Sun", and deserves to be punched in the mouth.

Johnny Cash covered NIN's "Hurt" and the NIN version is SO much better - I love old school Cash, but he was too old to do a decent recording when he recorded that song. Sounds like some old man at a convalescent home. I'm all for respecting the greats of old, but sometimes when they get old, they're no longer great. Also, they changed the words in the cover so Cash wouldn't have to swear or something..."I wear these crown of thorns" totally changes the original meaning of the song from "I wear this crown of sh*t."

You probably heard Social Distortion's Ring of Fire cover and yes, that band should be forced to stop making more music. All of it sounds exactly the same and it's soul-less (imho).

As someone who loves NIN, I prefer the Johnny Cash version of "Hurt." The reason why I do is actually related to why you dislike it. In Cash's version of "Hurt," I feel the weight of a lifetime of regret. And I also felt Cash's video for this cover was quite moving as it explores the depths of regret.

You're right, my bad on the Hurt mix up. I never hear the NIN version, so I just competley forgot they were the originators.

I would also like to say whatever band did the Bad Company cover a couple months ago should also be banned from music. I'm not even a fan of the original version, but the cover really makes me want to jam ice picks in my ears.

Reposting mine with original artists. Removing "Feelings" since the Offspring really parodied the song. Added a couple obvious ones.

Song (Original Artist or Writer) - Covering Artist

Statesboro Blues (Blind Willie McTell)- Allman Brothers

Crossroads (Robert Johnson) - Cream

The First Time Ever I Saw Your Face (Ewan Mccoll- who hated this version)- Roberta Flack

Mad World (Tears for Fears)- Gary Jules

Call Me The Breeze (JJ Cale) - Lynyrd Skynyrd

Roll Over Beethoven (Chuck Berry) - ELO

Gotta' Get You Into My Life (Beatles)- Earth, Wind and Fire

Midnight Special (Ledbelly)- Creedence Clearwater Revival

Proud Mary (CCR)- Ike and Tina Turner

Fanfare for the Common Man and Suite From Rodeo (Hoedown) (Composer Aaron Copland, Various Orchestras/Symphonies)- Emerson Lake and Palmer

You Really Got Me (The Kinks)- Van Halen

Connection (Rolling Stones)- Montrose

I Will Survive (Gloria Gaynor) - Cake

Woodstock (Joni Mitchell)- Crosby, Stills, Nash and Young

Diamonds and Rust (Joan Baez)- Judas Priest

A Little Help From My Friends (Beatles)- Joe Cocker

We're All Alone (Boz Scaggs) - Rita Coolidge

Woodstock (Joni Mitchell)- Crosby, Stills, Nash and Young

Another great Joni Mitchell cover -

Soul-ful.

Apropos of little; OT: Joni Mitchell is a vastly underrated talent.

I suggest you check all these out:

Bob Dylan - See that My Grave is Kept Clean (Blind Lemon Jefferson)

The Byrds - Nothing Was Delivered (Bob Dylan)

The Byrds - Turn, Turn, Turn (Pete Seeger/Bible)

Tom Petty - So You Want to Be a Rock and Roll Star? (The Byrds)

The White Stripes - Lovesick (Bob Dylan)

George Harrison - If Not for You (Bob Dylan)

The White Stripes - Jolene (Dolly Parton)

Flying Burrito Brothers - Dark End of the Street (James Carr)

Gram Parsons and Emmylou Harris - Love Hurts (The Everly Brothers)

Emmylou Harris - Sin City (Flying Burrito Brothers)

Beachwood Sparks - By Your Side (Sade)

Loudon Wainwright III - I am the Way (New York Town) (Woody Guthrie)

The Futureheads - Hounds of Love (Kate Bush)

The Jam - David Watts (The Kinks)

Jeff Buckley - Hallelujah (Leonard Cohen)

Otis Redding - Day Tripper (The Beatles)

Otis Redding - Satisfaction (The Rolling Stones)

Aretha Franklin - Respect (Otis Redding)

Carole King - (You Make Me Feel) Like a Natural Woman (Aretha Franklin)

The Rolling Stones - Time is on My Side (Irma Thomas)

The Rolling Stones - Love in Vain (Robert Johnston)

Devo - Satisfaction (The Rolling Stones)

Manfred Mann's Earth Band - Blinded by the Light (Bruce Springsteen)

Elvis Costello & The Attractions - What's So Funny About Peace, Love and Understanding? (Nick Lowe)

Stevie Wonder - We Can Work it Out (The Beatles)

The Beatles - Twist and Shot (The Top Notes)

The Animals - Don't Let Me Be Misunderstood (Nina Simone)

The Beach Boys - I Can Hear Music (The Ronettes)

The Clash - I Fought the Law (The Crickets)

Sinead O'Conner - Nothing Compares to U (Prince)

Ike and Tina Turner - Proud Mary (Creedence Clearwater Revival)

Summertime Blues - Blue Cheer (Eddie Cochran)

Nico - The Fairest of the Seasons (Jackson Browne)

Nico - These Days (Jackson Browne)

R.E.M. - There She Goes Again (The Velvet Underground & Nico)

David Bowie - China Girl (Iggy Pop)

Nirvana - The Man Who Sold the World (David Bowie)

Harry Nilsson - Without You (Badfinger)

Talking Heads - Take Me to the River (Al Green)

Some great calls there, Whiskers, particularly, IMO, Blue Cheer, Devo and Talking Heads.

I feel Jeff Buckley is overrated, particularly as a songwriter. And "Hallelujah" has been covered to death.

Still Buckley's version is my favorite. One the few songs I felt truly took advantage of his ability to express frailty and strength simultaneously. His most moving performance, imo.

BTW- Bowie co-wrote "China Girl"

"Nothing Compares To U" was written by Prince, but was originally released by a group called The Family.

I suggest you check all these out:

The Beatles - Twist and Shot (The Top Notes)

Talking Heads - Take Me to the River (Al Green)

I've never heard these versions, how are they? B)

Some great calls there, Whiskers, particularly, IMO, Blue Cheer, Devo and Talking Heads.

I feel Jeff Buckley is overrated, particularly as a songwriter. And "Hallelujah" has been covered to death.

Still Buckley's version is my favorite. One the few songs I felt truly took advantage of his ability to express frailty and strength simultaneously. His most moving performance, imo.

BTW- Bowie co-wrote "China Girl"

Yeah, agreed on all counts.

As someone who loves NIN, I prefer the Johnny Cash version of "Hurt." The reason why I do is actually related to why you dislike it. In Cash's version of "Hurt," I feel the weight of a lifetime of regret. And I also felt Cash's video for this cover was quite moving as it explores the depths of regret.

You have no idea how many people I've had to correct that think Hurt is a Johnny Cash original. It actually drives me nuts, probably because NIN was my favorite band growing up.

You have no idea how many people I've had to correct that think Hurt is a Johnny Cash original. It actually drives me nuts, probably because NIN was my favorite band growing up.

Johnny Cash's cover of Hurt is amazing.

One of my other favorite covers right now is Bullet for My Valentine's cover of 'No Easy Way Out' (Robert Tepper)

(original)

(cover)

How'd I forget...

Me and Bobby McGee- Janis Joplin

(Originally performed by Roger Miller; Written by Kris Kristofferson)

Jim Carrey covering

(from the musical Dreamgirls) on one of the greatest TV shows of all-time, The Larry Sanders Show! B)

Because the night, originally by Patti Smith, covered by 10,000 Maniacs.

10,000 Maniacs - Because the Night

I much prefer Bruce Springsteen's cover of "Because the Night;" it might actually be better than Patti's.

Morrissey's cover of "Redondo Beach" by Patti Smith is also good, but not nearly as good as the original.

Patti Smith's cover of "Helpless" by CSNY is good, but not even close to the original.

I can't believe I forgot The Feelies' cover of The Beatles' "Everybody's Got Something to Hide (Except for Me and My Monkey)," which for my money is way better than the original.

I also love The Feelies' cover of The Rolling Stones' "Paint it Black," but nothing is better than the original.

I much prefer Bruce Springsteen's cover of "Because the Night;" it might actually be better than Patti's.

Again, Springsteen co-wrote the song. It's his version but not a cover, Whiskers.

And, no disrespect intended, Patti Smith's take just rules. Honestly I wouldn't take any other version, as good as it might be, because it touched me so strongly in 1978. "Easter" was a step ahead. That woman had the biggest balls in rock at the time. The widely misunderstood 6th track just made my blood pump. And "Because the Night"- when she sang the (obviously Springsteen written- you can just tell by the beat, the chords, melody and sentiment) bridge:

"With love we sleep

With doubt

The vicious circle

Turns and burns

Without you

I cannot live

Forgive,

The yearning burning

I believe it's time,

Too real to feel

So touch me now, touch me now, touch me now

Because the night belongs to lovers ... "

Chills.

I like to believe I did that song justice when I covered it. Changed "Touch me now" to "Take me now"; callback to opening lines and added emphasis.

Again, Springsteen co-wrote the song. It's his version but not a cover, Whiskers.

And, no disrespect intended, Patti Smith's take just rules. Honestly I wouldn't take any other version, as good as it might be, because it touched me so strongly in 1978. "Easter" was a step ahead. That woman had the biggest balls in rock at the time.

Ah, yeah, I don't know why I keep forgetting that because I love both Patti Smith and Springsteen. I am such a fan (and so lame) that I call my wireless router "Radio Ethiopia." Horses is one of my favorite albums of all time, so I hear ya. I go back and forth on whose "version" ( B) ) of "Because the Night" I like better, so no disrespect taken.