Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

eom

yahoo autodraft

anybody know how that works?

if I make qb's my top 20 rankings, how does it select my team, for example?

It goes by the default Yahoo Rankings...it will give you the total highest ranked player available, until all positions are filled.

It will select a QB as your first pick, Manning, then the rest based on need. That is if you haven't messed with the other positions.

ok, so it will pick me a qb, then skip over the other 19 qb's, then pick one guy for every position including kicker, team def, and defensive players (we use dl and db spots), then go back and pick me another qb, then another of each position?

wait...what do you mean if I haven't messed w/the rest?

I'm messing w/the whole order.

let's say my ranking goes like this:

qb

qb

qb

qb

qb

rb

rb

rb

rb

rb

rb

wr

wr

wr

wr

wr

wr

how does it pick?

it takes the first available qb, then rb, then wr, then goes back for qb2, rb2, wr2?

So if I make 2 10 team autodraft leagues then I look at one team and in the 1st league and another team in the other league and its the excact same??????????

Yahoo will fill out each starting spot before filling in the bench spots. So if you only start 2 RBs then you are going to draft a kicker, tight end, team defense, ect before getting your back up or 3rd RB. So this is going to be the same for every position. If you put all your QBs in your pre rank first you are obviously going to get a QB as your first pick because the system will take the highest person you ranked in an available starting position. So if you did the pre rank exactly just how you did it then you'll draft will probably go exactly how you pre ranked it QB, RB, RB, WR, WR, WR assuming standard yahoo scoring and also assuming that not everyone you pre ranked was taken. If the system runs out of pre ranked players then it will take the highest ranking player based on their rankings in a starting position and then in a reserve position. So if you rank 20 QBs first you'll probably get Peyton Manning (unless you have a very low 1st round pick and then you'll probably get Palmer or whoever you ranked second) and then you'll fill out all other starting positions. So yes, it will skip the other 19 ranked QBs. Once starting positions are filled you'll get a back up QB before any other back up position (unless all 20 are taken). You might even get a 3rd QB before your 5th WR or 4th RB if anyone in the top 20 is still left at that point.

But knowing exactly how the system works you can exploit it if everyone else is auto drafting too. If everyone isn't auto drafting then you will be at a disadvantage because you'll be drafting kickers and defense while they are grabbing back up RBs and WRs. But back to the exploting the system if you auto draft. You know at worst you'll get the 19th and 20th ranked RBs because essentially nobody will be allowed to get a back up RB until everyone has their 2 starters. My advice would be to rank the top 8 or so RBs at the top just in case you get an early pick, maybe the few elite WRs there too, and then rank those positions that have a very distinct top tier before ranking the depth at each postion. So I'd put in like Peyton Manning, Carson Palmer, Antonio Gates, Chicago, ect. That means you would stack the deck in your favor. Getting those top tier names I mentioned at QB, TE, DEF and you are still guaranteed 3 top 20 WRs and two top 20 RBs at absolute worst case senario. Also don't pre rank to many kickers and team defense because yahoo will give you like 2 or 3 of them when other teams are getting WR and RB depth. Yahoo wants to balance your team as much as possible and they want to give you an even number of players at all positions so you can end up with as many kickers and TEs as WRs and RBs. The idea is to pre rank as many players as you can that you actually want all on your team so yahoo goes by your ranks and not the even out system they will go to in default.

And to answer your question if you do the same exact pre rank for the same exact leagues will you get the same exact team? Very, very unlikely. Because you'll probably get a different number pick in your second league. And it also depends on what the other people have pre ranked. if one guy is taken one pick earlier or later it can throw off the course of an entire draft.