Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

BlueDevils22

When will Tiger win a tourney?

He's leading the Tour in scoring average and has won three times in half a season. Winning three times in half a season in incredibly difficult. Great players (Mickelson, McIlroy, Furyk) sometimes don't win three times in a full season. Dufner, Tiger's main competitor for player of the year, is playing out of his mind and has won twice. The way Woods is playing, he's easily the best player on tour again. No one's even close with the way he's rounded back into form.

Got the win today. The final few holes weren't good but he played good enough all week that it didn't matter.

Over/under on him winning at the 4 Major Majors this year? I say he at least snags one of em.

He is playing the best of anyone right now in the world, so he has to be the prohibitive favorite, but its golf and anything can happen. With the exception of his win at Doral, winning at Bay Hill and Torrey isnt that uncommon for him, he lights those places up. If it were the traditional PTI thing of Tiger vs. the Field, I would still take the Field.

He is playing the best of anyone right now in the world, so he has to be the prohibitive favorite, but its golf and anything can happen. With the exception of his win at Doral, winning at Bay Hill and Torrey isnt that uncommon for him, he lights those places up. If it were the traditional PTI thing of Tiger vs. the Field, I would still take the Field.

You can have the field, ill take Tiger. (Yea, im a fanboy)

I'll take Tiger two, been awhile since I tasted the Kool-Aid, but it tastes good this week, just gotta hit those 8 to 12 footers!!

Not this week obviously a lot of "what ifs" with regards to the tough break on 15 on Friday not to mention on Saturday had the worst toilet bowl putts Ive seen in almost 30 years of watching and playing the game.

Gonna be a fun day tomorrow, lots of good golfers and some new guys at the top.

Well, would be pretty fail of Tiger to not win a major this year when he was off to such a tremendous start. The US Open was just brutal this year. I don't ever feel bad for athletes cause they make millions but seeing Mickelson runner-up for the 6th time was pretty depressing and felt bad for him. He had so many chances with near misses on putts today.

Tiger was crazy good last week. Not so much this week, missing so many putts by inches.

I wonder if he just puts too much pressure on himself now in majors. He's been the best golfer on tour this year, but not really even been in the hunt at a major (unless we call being 4 back at the Masters in the hunt).

It really seems as if he is in a bad mindset at the majors. Probably needs a sports psychologist worse than a swing coach at this point in time.

I wonder if he just puts too much pressure on himself now in majors. He's been the best golfer on tour this year, but not really even been in the hunt at a major (unless we call being 4 back at the Masters in the hunt).

It really seems as if he is in a bad mindset at the majors. Probably needs a sports psychologist worse than a swing coach at this point in time.

It has to be mental at this point, the rest of the season he is winning at the percentage he did in his dominant years. 5 Wins on Tour in a year, all of which are pretty significant non-majors that draw some of the best fields, 5 wins is amazing. A lot of the best players right now that we think of, especially Americans barely have 5 career wins, let alone in a season.

He's had a ridiculous season outside of the majors. He's won 5 out of 8 tourneys outside of majors, which is incredible. As you said, Parrothead, winning 5 times even a career is a great accomplishment. But it's undeniable he's playing poorly on the weekends of major championships. The way the media is treating him though reminds me of LeBron before he won his first title. So much whining and scrutinizing that they can't step back and appreciate how absurd his accomplishments are. Dude has won 79 times before the age of 40. It's flat out silly. Phil is one of the 10 best players of all-time and he's won 42 times.

As far as the PGA Championship, it's a very underrated tournament. Always fun to watch. Dufner played phenomenal and his wife is pretty phenomenal as well. Wouldn't figure a dude like Dufner could have bagged a chick that fine, but kudos.

He's had a ridiculous season outside of the majors. He's won 5 out of 8 tourneys outside of majors, which is incredible. As you said, Parrothead, winning 5 times even a career is a great accomplishment. But it's undeniable he's playing poorly on the weekends of major championships. The way the media is treating him though reminds me of LeBron before he won his first title. So much whining and scrutinizing that they can't step back and appreciate how absurd his accomplishments are. Dude has won 79 times before the age of 40. It's flat out silly. Phil is one of the 10 best players of all-time and he's won 42 times.

As far as the PGA Championship, it's a very underrated tournament. Always fun to watch. Dufner played phenomenal and his wife is pretty phenomenal as well. Wouldn't figure a dude like Dufner could have bagged a chick that fine, but kudos.

The PGA is a little more random in that its not the same venue or "test" each year.

Augusta is the same each year at the Masters.

US Open, is not the same venue but its one where pars are a premium, will have usually a winning score somewhere around even par, which is the highest winning total of the season, probably by 5-6 strokes, usually like 10-15.

Open is Links golf, lots of quirkiness can produce some interesting results, but like the US Open, its a "style" even though the venues change as part of the Open rotation.

Then you have the PGA, which is kind of all over the place in the types of styles you see, as good as Tiger played last week at Firestone, I think most people who follow golf for a while didnt take too much stock in that because it was a place where Tiger has long dominated I think the one thing that makes a few people scratch their heads is that its not that easy of a course, its long, rough is penal and for years it was one of those "major like" venues on tour.

I think next year will be interesting because you have some really good opportunities.

* Masters, go back to the shot off the stick this year, cost him really 3-4 strokes between the result of the hole plus the penalty. He contends there a lot, I expect him to be in the mix.

*Pinehurst- has finished top 5 there I think both times its been there and I hear they are going no rough around the greens or something next year, its the type of course I think he can win at, especially in the last half decade or so, Im not sure he drives the ball well enough to win at classic US Open venues, but Pinehurst wont be that penal.

*Hoylake - he dominated the last time the Open Championship was there, that was completely dead grass he hit a bunch of irons and pretty much won in romp.

*Valhalla - again a venue he has won a major, the 3rd leg of the Tiger Slam back in 2000.

The criticism of him when it comes to majors I think is fair because he puts it on himself in their importance, the one thing though is that in history, many great champions stopped making putts in and winning majors in their mid 30's. The other thing with Tiger is that, very much like Jack Nicklaus, there is a bit of stubborness or traditionalist to his equipment. There were many who claim if Jack wasnt using Macgregor (especially the ball) he would of won even more. I see so many guys now going with the large super Stroke grip or the use of hybrids, etc. Tiger has never gone that way, pretty much had the same equipment make up in his bag since the late 1990's, the putter grip is an old Ping grip which he blacks out the P-I-N-G. There have been a lot of players who have switched to Nike, who were never the same: David Duval comes immediately to mind. Rory is having his worst season after making the switch as is Nick Watney.

I expect Tiger to be a major factor in the Fed Ex Cup, probably win the darn thing...and I think 2014 will be very interesting, like 2010 it is a year that sets up well for him venue wise in the majors, unfortunately for him 2010 was coming off the November 2009 scandal.