Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

kjtocool

Game of Thrones

For anyone with HBO, they have a new series called Game of Thrones starting on April 17th, it's going to be all kinds of awesome ... tune in!

Other than Steven Erikson's epic Malazan series or Robert Jordan (RIP) WoT series, one of my favorite post-LOTR series of all time - can't wait to see the ensemble cast, with Sean Bean headlining.

PVR set.

Agree RRF. The only other series I'd add on par with those three is The Book of the New Sun. Did you get to watch the preview?

Other than Steven Erikson's epic Malazan series or Robert Jordan (RIP) WoT series, one of my favorite post-LOTR series of all time - can't wait to see the ensemble cast, with Sean Bean headlining.

PVR set.

High praise! Never heard of Malazan but I'm hungry for the next (last?) installment of WoT. Just picked Game of Thrones up off Amazon.

High praise! Never heard of Malazan but I'm hungry for the next (last?) installment of WoT. Just picked Game of Thrones up off Amazon.

Not to derail the thread - but you gotta pick up Eriksson's series. The most amazing series yet in the last 30+ years.

Looking forward to the mini-series - hopefully they don't butcher it like Sword of Truth (not an outstanding series by any means....but the dreck that came onto the small screen *shudder*).

After working through several chapters you can see why HBO would choose this series. It reads like a combo of Tolkien and their "Rome" series. Judging by their latest efforts on series, I wonder how edgy this will get/how true they'll be to the book.

After working through several chapters you can see why HBO would choose this series. It reads like a combo of Tolkien and their "Rome" series. Judging by their latest efforts on series, I wonder how edgy this will get/how true they'll be to the book.

According to GRRM (author of the books), it's pretty damn faithful. They removed some characters, and obviously there are minor changes, but nothing egregious.

The series has received almost universal acclaim from early reviews, so I'm pumped. I just wish I knew more people who'd give the book a chance. It's hard selling the fantasy genre to those that don't already have an affinity for it. After all, a gritty, masochistic spade is still a spade.

Edit: Skoodog, how far in are you? The book really starts picking up about halfway through (when a certain character is "arrested," per se) and the rest of the series never lets down afterward.

According to GRRM

Coincidentally "GRRM" is the sound I make when I'm constipated and...

Coincidentally "GRRM" is the sound I make when I'm constipated and...

It is called the game of thrones.

According to GRRM (author of the books), it's pretty damn faithful. They removed some characters, and obviously there are minor changes, but nothing egregious.

The series has received almost universal acclaim from early reviews, so I'm pumped. I just wish I knew more people who'd give the book a chance. It's hard selling the fantasy genre to those that don't already have an affinity for it. After all, a gritty, masochistic spade is still a spade.

Edit: Skoodog, how far in are you? The book really starts picking up about halfway through (when a certain character is "arrested," per se) and the rest of the series never lets down afterward.

Hard to say but according to the Kindle, about halfway. A certain character has been "arrested". Pretty much a political intrigue story so far...not as much of a fantasy epic as I had figured, but still very good. I stop reading stuff that sucks, so...it hasn't sucked yet, and the character development is very good, a la Jordan (early Jordan, not late Jordan where the women bitch and connive for books at a time).

Hard to say but according to the Kindle, about halfway. A certain character has been "arrested". Pretty much a political intrigue story so far...not as much of a fantasy epic as I had figured, but still very good. I stop reading stuff that sucks, so...it hasn't sucked yet, and the character development is very good, a la Jordan (early Jordan, not late Jordan where the women bitch and connive for books at a time).

hahahahahahahaha, you will NOT ditch the series. I'll bet you money on that. Stick with AGOT to the end and you'll understand why TIME dubbed Mr. Martin as the "American Tolkien."

Edit: The following two books are a lot more explosive, though you still get very healthy amounts of political machinations; this one sets everything in motion.

Not one opinion about the show yet? Stop talking about these book things and fill me on Game of Thrones !!

Love the show, can't wait for tonight!

TIVO'd Ep #1, in-laws here & I was out of town last weekend, so going to run 3 hours straight this week - can't wait! B)

Oh wow. I'll likely re-watch #2 right before #3, loving it so far.

Watched #1 and #2 on not-HBO (B)) and really liked it - it's almost a transliteration of the book and nothing significant has been lost. Of course, the book is written episodically so it's the perfect series to transfer to film (unlike so many others).

Tyrion is probably my favorite character both in the book and in the show - good to see a role written for a little person that's not him getting shot out of a cannon or as a midget clone lackey. On the other hand, Jon Snow's character absolutely sucks - they should have gotten someone who wasn't void of emotion or acting skill to play such a prominent role. Haven't seen episode 3 though so I'll reserve all judgment til I see him in a more featured episode.

THis is my new favorite show, but is there a set number of episodes/seasons it's gonna last?

THis is my new favorite show, but is there a set number of episodes/seasons it's gonna last?

The show has been renewed for a second season due to the strong critical response, universal acclaim from the audience, and ever-rising Nielson ratings. In fact, the show has steadily risen in ratings every single week, and considering the strong point of the first book is the second half (and critics also agree that the second half of the season is much better), there should be no slowing down.

IIRC - and if HBO decides to follow the logical route, considering ACoK is much longer than AGoT- the second season will be 12 episodes of blood, sex and betrayal. B)

Also, Skoo, you ever finish the book?

10 Episodes this season, hopefully 11 or 12 next season.

Loving this show hard, but come on, MORE DIREWOLVES!

The show has been renewed for a second season due to the strong critical response, universal acclaim from the audience, and ever-rising Nielson ratings. In fact, the show has steadily risen in ratings every single week, and considering the strong point of the first book is the second half (and critics also agree that the second half of the season is much better), there should be no slowing down.

IIRC - and if HBO decides to follow the logical route, considering ACoK is much longer than AGoT- the second season will be 12 episodes of blood, sex and betrayal. B)

Also, Skoo, you ever finish the book?

Yep, halfway through Clash of Kings right now. Making Martin the Executive Producer was smart - they definitely feature Theon Greyjoy way more in the eps than the first book did, which is important on setting up for Season 2 (assuming Clash of Kings is the second season).

They're gonna have to invest a little more on special effects for the second book! Can't wait to see how they do Viserion, Rhaegal and Drogon!

Yep, halfway through Clash of Kings right now. Making Martin the Executive Producer was smart - they definitely feature Theon Greyjoy way more in the eps than the first book did, which is important on setting up for Season 2 (assuming Clash of Kings is the second season).

They're gonna have to invest a little more on special effects for the second book! Can't wait to see how they do Viserion, Rhaegal and Drogon!

Yeah, I love how they're making emphasizing things that the books don't immediately cover.

I'm looking forward to seeing them at the end of the season. They'll probably be on screen for about 3 seconds, though, so it'll be hard to tell if they look cheesy or not.

I'd love to hear your thoughts - vague ones, if you don't wanna spoil it for anyone else - on Thrones' ending. B)

Yeah, I love how they're making emphasizing things that the books don't immediately cover.

I'm looking forward to seeing them at the end of the season. They'll probably be on screen for about 3 seconds, though, so it'll be hard to tell if they look cheesy or not.

I'd love to hear your thoughts - vague ones, if you don't wanna spoil it for anyone else - on Thrones' ending. B)

I think it will be harsh and depressing, tbh. But Hollywood likes that. Bottomline, the series CANNOT stop the first book - way too much conflict left up in the air, which I think will be a major hurdle for the series to overcome in getting a second season.

If this show ends up being 7 seasons long, one for each book, it will be the most epic series ever made!