Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

FouLLine

Paul Goldschmidt 1B ARI

Paul Goldschmidt seems to be an under the radar treasure. He currently has 3 HRs in his first 8 ABs in AA. Which only adds to a so far very good looking minor league career.

He was drafted in the 8th round out of college in 2009. That year he posted a 1.046 OPS in rookie ball over 74 games.

The following year (2010) he lead The California League (Advanced A Ball) in HRs with 35 as well as OPS at .990!

He fully expect him to catapult up the prospect rankings this year.

Goldschmidt certainly bears watching, but the above post is certainly correct. His K rate is very troubling. This year will certainly be a telling one with him.

Goldschmidt certainly bears watching, but the above post is certainly correct. His K rate is very troubling. This year will certainly be a telling one with him.

If you missed on Jerry Sands don't miss on Paul Goldschmidt.

Over his first 21 ABs 7 BB's to 4 K's (oh and 5 HRs)... He's going to be promoted to AAA very soon and could possibly be a Super 2 call up...

If you missed on Jerry Sands don't miss on Paul Goldschmidt.

Over his first 21 ABs 7 BB's to 4 K's (oh and 5 HRs)... He's going to be promoted to AAA very soon and could possibly be a Super 2 call up...

Is that what you are speculating or did you hear that some where? Dbacks do have Brandon Allen, Branyan & Miranda all in front of him.

Is that what you are speculating or did you hear that some where? Dbacks do have Brandon Allen, Branyan & Miranda all in front of him.

Speculation. But no GM would still have Brandon Allen valued in their organization higher than Goldschmidt at this point.

Goldschmidt is a guy who had remarkable success in 2010 in a very hitter friendly league. Granted, the #s were staggering, but counter that with 161 K last year, and you're looking at someone who's going to be in AA for a while this year. The DBacks are going to want to see him continually handle advanced pitching before rushing him up. I have my doubts about whether he will, but he's certainly off to a fast start.

I've been talking about Goldschmidt on these MILB forums since March 2010, as his 2009 season was not too shabby either. My position on Goldy is favorable in that he is certainly someone to watch closely, but not someone to target over other highly touted 1B prospects. His power is absolutely for real. It remains to be seen how other aspects of his game develop.

Now 8 HRs in 15 games to go along w/ a .327 BA, 15 BBs, & 10 SOs.

He won't be up any time soon. Too many other options plus he has things to work on. Maybe a September call-up, invite to spring training next year, and a call-up around June next year. Just my opinion

He won't be up any time soon. Too many other options plus he has things to work on. Maybe a September call-up, invite to spring training next year, and a call-up around June next year. Just my opinion

I agree on the timing. It's just fun to monitor the power display. Add another homer for 9 in total so far w/ a .344 BA, 18 BB, & 12 SO.

Goldie hasn't hit a homer in his last 17 ABs, but during that stretch he has only struck out once & has 6 BBs. He's also still hitting in general, so he sports a healthy .352 BA.

Followed up by 161 strikeouts in 525AB...

And he still managed a .315

Goldy is still hitting well, but more importantly he seems to be walking more than he has in the past.

In 120 ABs, .342 BA, 14 HRs, 30 BBs, 23 SOs, 1.219 OPS. Not too shabby.

Branyan released is this guy coming up?

I would think he would get an AAA promotion before a MLB call up. But I have a feeling we could be seeing him sooner than later.

Branyan released is this guy coming up?

Branyan was released to make room for Micah Owings. But at least there is one less body blocking Goldy from 1B.

Branyan was released to make room for Micah Owings. But at least there is one less body blocking Goldy from 1B.

Yea didnt think he would get the call but I wanted to be ready to pounce just in case. Brandon Allen also hitting well in Reno, figure he will be called up if they deem the Nady/Miranda experiment to be a failure.

This from CBSports:

According to The Arizona Republic, Diamondbacks 1B prospect Paul Goldschmidt has been tearing it up in Double-A to start the year, as he was batting .338 entering Thursday. He's crushed 14 home runs so far and he's inching closer to a big-league promotion. "People have got to start believing it's not a fluke," Diamondbacks General Manager Kevin Towers said. "He did it in the Cal League and now he's doing it in the Southern League, which is a tougher hitters' league. He's somebody that, from a first-base standpoint, based on the way he's playing, could help us, maybe soon."

He is turning a lot of heads this year. People thought he was a fluke but he just keeps mashing and improving. Has more BB than K's, has cut his strikeout rate a ton. At what point do all scouts come to a consensus that this guy is a major talent?

He is turning a lot of heads this year. People thought he was a fluke but he just keeps mashing and improving. Has more BB than K's, has cut his strikeout rate a ton. At what point do all scouts come to a consensus that this guy is a major talent?

If he continues he'll easily be a top 5 BA prospect next year... Bryce #1 then probably Trout #2. But I can easily see Goldy at #3, if he continues to crush the way he has been.

If he continues he'll easily be a top 5 BA prospect next year... Bryce #1 then probably Trout #2. But I can easily see Goldy at #3, if he continues to crush the way he has been.

I don't see that happening, as BA would basically be admitting that they screwed up big time by not even having him ranked in the top 100 coming into 2011. He should crack the top 50 next year, maybe even the top 25. But I guarantee you he won't come close to the top 5 regardless of whether he deserves it or not.

He needs to stay under the radar another week until my prospect draft. B)

Seriously though, why is he so underrated? His pre-minor league pedigree is even good (school record in HRs in College, on national championship team w/ Drabek in H.S.).