Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

FouLLine

Paul Goldschmidt 1B ARI

He needs to stay under the radar another week until my prospect draft. B)

Seriously though, why is he so underrated? His pre-minor league pedigree is even good (school record in HRs in College, on national championship team w/ Drabek in H.S.).

He's a R/R 1B who had question marks as a hitter going into the year.

Seriously though, why is he so underrated? His pre-minor league pedigree is even good (school record in HRs in College, on national championship team w/ Drabek in H.S.).

I've been touting here Goldie since 3/10. The reaction I faced was the same expressed by a lot of critics, that the CAL league inflated his power numbers. In my opinion, that criticism was poorly reasoned, as a league can only inflate so much. The man can hit & power is a skill he truly owns. Goldie has his real-life warts defensively, as he is restricted to 1B.

While I've been praising Goldie for a long time, I've never said I guarantee he'll be a star. I never say that about any prospect, b/c most of them fail at the MLB level, even the most highly touted prospects. I've only said Goldie deserves to be watched & it is nice to see that he is continuing to improve.

Another problem with college hitters is that you can't reliably predict how they transition to wood bats. Some take it to with no problem, others clearly lose enough bat speed & power that their crazy college #'s don't translate to the MILB. Plus, when you play 1B, the onus to produce is even higher. You don't see a lot of 1B bats that get a lot of love outside the most elite skill players, because of the above factors.

Interestingly enough, the 1B class in the MILB isn't stock full of elite skill guys - in the past, great bats with poor D skills elsewhere ended up being put at 1B, but as teams recognize how much a good glove 1B can help the rest of the IF D, we're seeing fewer mega-power/.avg 1B prospects (and more of a mix of all-around good players like Belt, Freeman, etc.) come out. The days of the Prince Fielder/Mark Teixeira/Ryan Howard (Tex has great D, but the point being big thumper bats being put at 1B) hopefuls filling the MILB systems at 1B is certainly far less than before. I don't know if owners realize this shift has been occurring for a while now.

As for Goldschmidt, the biggest knock on him before 2011 has been he's been mostly a power-first, big-K guy (think Chris Davis) - his ability to increase his BB rate AND cut down on the K's suggests there's real progression here. I've only seen a few AB's, and I do notice his swing gets a little long at times, but otherwise the power is certainly for real. Since he'll be 24 at the end of the season, I don't know if we'll see huge elite star potential either, but he's clearly shown enough to merit consideration as a top 1B prospect for sure if he can keep this success up for the rest of the season in AA/AAA.

Another HR last night. Slugger keeps slugging.

Another problem with college hitters is that you can't reliably predict how they transition to wood bats. Some take it to with no problem, others clearly lose enough bat speed & power that their crazy college #'s don't translate to the MILB. Plus, when you play 1B, the onus to produce is even higher. You don't see a lot of 1B bats that get a lot of love outside the most elite skill players, because of the above factors.

Interestingly enough, the 1B class in the MILB isn't stock full of elite skill guys - in the past, great bats with poor D skills elsewhere ended up being put at 1B, but as teams recognize how much a good glove 1B can help the rest of the IF D, we're seeing fewer mega-power/.avg 1B prospects (and more of a mix of all-around good players like Belt, Freeman, etc.) come out. The days of the Prince Fielder/Mark Teixeira/Ryan Howard (Tex has great D, but the point being big thumper bats being put at 1B) hopefuls filling the MILB systems at 1B is certainly far less than before. I don't know if owners realize this shift has been occurring for a while now.

As for Goldschmidt, the biggest knock on him before 2011 has been he's been mostly a power-first, big-K guy (think Chris Davis) - his ability to increase his BB rate AND cut down on the K's suggests there's real progression here. I've only seen a few AB's, and I do notice his swing gets a little long at times, but otherwise the power is certainly for real. Since he'll be 24 at the end of the season, I don't know if we'll see huge elite star potential either, but he's clearly shown enough to merit consideration as a top 1B prospect for sure if he can keep this success up for the rest of the season in AA/AAA.

excellent point. seems to be the entire offense too, to counter the crazy good pitching and increased GB rates all over baseball. Days of Adam Dunn type guys might be ending for a while. MLB is certainly going through a transition phase, and we're smack in the middle of it right now.

First man to 20 HR's, early favorite for minor league player of the year. Guy should be on everyones radar he could be the next big power hitter to come through the minors!

Another home run tonight.

.350 21 HR 59 RBI 50 BB 43K's

I know I know I know... but I have to say it.

'Pujols'

And believe me, I know that's probably over-the-top, but I'm not even looking at the home runs. I'm looking at the BA and the BB:K ratio. That's not just a power hitter. That's a professional hitter.

Another home run tonight.

.350 21 HR 59 RBI 50 BB 43K's

I know I know I know... but I have to say it.

'Pujols'

And believe me, I know that's probably over-the-top, but I'm not even looking at the home runs. I'm looking at the BA and the BB:K ratio. That's not just a power hitter. That's a professional hitter.

One can only hope -- and as an owner of Goldy in a deep keeper league, that would be awesome ... but that's a little like Pippen calling Lebron better than Jordan -- little too early and presumptuous.

Still -- with AZ in a dead heat for the NL West, and their only options (Miranda / Nady) being no better than a bag-of-douche, I would suspect they make a move... however Brandon Allen is waiting in the wings in Reno with a solid season as well, so we may have to wait.

One can only hope -- and as an owner of Goldy in a deep keeper league, that would be awesome ... but that's a little like Pippen calling Lebron better than Jordan -- little too early and presumptuous.

Still -- with AZ in a dead heat for the NL West, and their only options (Miranda / Nady) being no better than a bag-of-douche, I would suspect they make a move... however Brandon Allen is waiting in the wings in Reno with a solid season as well, so we may have to wait.

This guy needs AAA at bats. He's making the Southern League look like BP.

Don't know how much longer Arizona is going to fiddle around with Miranda and Nady at first...but they could reall use this kid... and i could use him in my deep prospect league too.

Don't know how much longer Arizona is going to fiddle around with Miranda and Nady at first...but they could reall use this kid... and i could use him in my deep prospect league too.

Good informative article about what the GM Kevin Towers is saying about him and Cowgill. Looks promising for a callup soon for both

forgot to post the link http://www.azcentral.com/sports/diamondbac...or-leagues.html

I think a lot of people are overlooking Brandon Allen. The guy has great numbers and is at AAA now, while Goldschmit is still at AA. Allen has an OBP of .418 and and is slugging .937 . I don't klnow if he has been playing any OF as well as his natural 1B position, but I for one and scooping him up now in my deep league and hoping he is the one who gets the call, quite frankly he is probably the most major league ready at the moment.

I think a lot of people are overlooking Brandon Allen. The guy has great numbers and is at AAA now, while Goldschmit is still at AA. Allen has an OBP of .418 and and is slugging .937 . I don't klnow if he has been playing any OF as well as his natural 1B position, but I for one and scooping him up now in my deep league and hoping he is the one who gets the call, quite frankly he is probably the most major league ready at the moment.

Kevin Towers already stated the other day that by mid season Goldschmidt is probably in line for a call up. I do not think Allen is in there plans. Hopefully he gets traded somewhere as I do not think he is a lost cause by any means, but just reading between the lines it seems that Arizona is viewing Goldschmidt as the future of that position.

I don't think anyone in baseball is capable of that.

I don't think anyone in baseball is capable of that.

Lol he meant to say he has a .937 OPS, Allen has a .519 Slugging Percentage.

Speaking for myself, I'm not overlooking Allen but merely recognizing the reality of their situations if both players remain w/ ARI. You said you don't know if Allen is still playing OF this season. Allen has indeed been playing both 1B & OF this season. While Goldschmidt can hit like a mule can kick, his scouting reports note he is quite limited defensively. So the simple fact is if both players remain w/ ARI, Allen would have to move to OF b/c it seems Goldschmidt does not have the ability to play a position other than 1B.

Speaking for myself, I'm not overlooking Allen but merely recognizing the reality of their situations if both players remain w/ ARI. You said you don't know if Allen is still playing OF this season. Allen has indeed been playing both 1B & OF this season. While Goldschmidt can hit like a mule can kick, his scouting reports note he is quite limited defensively. So the simple fact is if both players remain w/ ARI, Allen would have to move to OF b/c it seems Goldschmidt does not have the ability to play a position other than 1B.

HighLanderZ, I know you've been touting him for a while. Do you think he gets a callup in July or would you say September the earliest???

HighLanderZ, I know you've been touting him for a while. Do you think he gets a callup in July or would you say September the earliest???

I've been following Goldschmidt's scouting reports for a long while, but I can only guess like everybody else. Arizona GM Kevin Towers recently said, "I wouldn't say we're at that point right now, but probably leading up to the All-Star Game, that's when we'd probably have to decide to make moves." Towers also said, "We want to make sure that with any of our young players, especially guys like Goldschmidt or Collin Cowgill, when they come up, we want them to play."

Apparently it is possible for Goldschmidt to get a call-up around the ASB if a situation arises where he could get consistent at-bats. All the scouting reports I've read on Goldschmidt say he is limited defensively to 1B, so I imagine something has to happen w/ Miranda & Nady before Goldschmidt can get consistent playing time. In my opinion, Miranda is mediocre at best & I think we can all agree Nady is running on fumes. But I think their presence is still an obstacle to consistent at-bats. We'll see how ARI handles the situation.

Allen is hitting in the PCL....that's way different than batting in the Southern League.

Allen isn't in the top-20 in OPS in that league, despite being 25. He isn't in the top-30 in HR's. He's struck out 60 times in 60 game.

Goldsmidt is not only 1st in OPS, he's 1st by about 200 points! His BB/K numbers are 53/46! That was his major question mark after last year. The HR leader board in the Southern League looks like:

etc.

I have a question - Why does this guy get no love in the prospect rankings? Baseball Prospectus has him as a two-star prospect, and most other sites including ESPN or Scouting book, don't even have him in the top 100. Even if they have not updated their rankings, he still hit 35 homers with a .320 avg last year... there's no excuse... Why no love???

Wasn't highly drafted, struck out a ton, old for A-ball and isn't much of an athlete.

Oh, and folks don't like admitting a mistake and will instead double down and hope he still craps out.

I have a question - Why does this guy get no love in the prospect rankings? Baseball Prospectus has him as a two-star prospect, and most other sites including ESPN or Scouting book, don't even have him in the top 100. Even if they have not updated their rankings, he still hit 35 homers with a .320 avg last year... there's no excuse... Why no love???

Reasons for lack of a high prospect ranking:

1. Last year, he was a 22 year old college trained hitter playing in A-ball.

2. 1B don't provide much defensive value....and he's not considered a plus defender and throws right-handed

3. The Cali League is known as an offensive league

4. 161 K's/57 bb's in 138 games....not great contact skills or plate discipline shown

I like him a lot....just not scouting friendly at the end of last year. He'll move WAY up this year if he doesn't slow dramatically or receive a call-up.

Wasn't highly drafted, struck out a ton, old for A-ball and isn't much of an athlete.

Oh, and folks don't like admitting a mistake and will instead double down and hope he still craps out.

lol, how does one define another as being much of an "athlete"? I mean the guy clearly has some sleeper speed with going 6/8 in SBs and a triple. I mean what more could you expect out of a 245 pound beast.

Being sub standard at D, doesn't automatically equate to not being athletic.

Anyone else think that his BB/K has something to do with his hot start and pitchers trying to pitch around him?