Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

FouLLine

Paul Goldschmidt 1B ARI

Anyone else think that his BB/K has something to do with his hot start and pitchers trying to pitch around him?

No.

13:21 K:BB in April.

23:20 in May.

11:12 in June.

No.

13:21 K:BB in April.

23:20 in May.

11:12 in June.

I agree it wasn't due to his hot start. His K/BB rate has been consistently great this year, and is a legit HUGE step forward for him as a prospect. I don't pay nearly as much attention to prospects when their K-rate is really high in the minors. They generally just can't transfer a decent avg. when facing MLB pitchers, and generally don't hit for as much power as you'd expect either.

Fantasy-wise, Goldschmidt is now in my top 15 MILB prospects. Many of the top guys have come up in the past few weeks, and he'll be playing in a great HR park if/when he makes it up to ARZ. If he gets 200 ab's this year, and takes the full-time job out of spring training, he's got a shot at .270 35 HR's w/ nice run/rbi #'s and even throw in 5 SB's. We'd all be happy w/ those numbers from M.Stanton this year!

He was schooled by Matt Moore 2 nite. 1st 2 AB's he struck out on 7 pitches total. 3rd AB he got his kitchen cleaned and hit a weak popper.

Alot of his walks have come from the fact he is the best hitter on the team, but the fact his K's have dropped big time from last year is a good sign.

http://www.baseballamerica.com/chat/?1308329475

Rich (Sacramento): Can you please explain how Goldschmidt is not the # 1 prospect in the D'Backs system right now. Jarrod Parker ?? Are you serious ? It seems BA is living in the past big time.

Matthew Eddy: With all players, we're most concerned with future value, and many evaluators are simply not convinced Goldschmidt will be a masher at the highest level. He can be beat with good fastballs inside, and that might cap his home run totals at 18-20 (speaking for the old, pre-2010 levels of offense anyway). Factor in the limited defensive value and no speed and those homers are everything. I probably hold the dissenting opinion here, and I know this answer won't satisfy you, so we'll just have to wait 3-4 years down the road and see how it plays out.

Stubborn, aren't they? Like someone said earlier, no one likes to admit they're wrong. They are CLEARLY wrong. It's actually comical that they rank Parker ahead of Goldy.

Stubborn, aren't they? Like someone said earlier, no one likes to admit they're wrong. They are CLEARLY wrong. It's actually comical that they rank Parker ahead of Goldy.

Not 1 pitcher has come back and picked up where they left off after TJ, but year 2 almost all of them do. So if/when Parker goes back to the Parker of 2009 he should be higher than Goldy.

Not 1 pitcher has come back and picked up where they left off after TJ, but year 2 almost all of them do. So if/when Parker goes back to the Parker of 2009 he should be higher than Goldy.

LOL wut. You mean the pitcher who had a 1.481 WHIP at AA in 2009? Tell you what, you can take Parker if/when he makes it to The Show. I'll take Goldy when he arrives.

LOL wut. You mean the pitcher who had a 1.481 WHIP at AA in 2009? Tell you what, you can take Parker if/when he makes it to The Show. I'll take Goldy when he arrives.

The WHIP may be high but 3.14 ERA at 20 years old in AA after pretty much skipping High A. And some of them starts came with his shoulder hurting. GIMME SOME OF THAT

The WHIP may be high but 3.14 ERA at 19 years old in AA after pretty much skipping High A. And some of them starts came with his shoulder hurting. GIMME SOME OF THAT

It was 3.14 for the year. In AA, it was 3.68.

You can take some of that. I'll pass and go with Goldy.

He was schooled by Matt Moore 2 nite. 1st 2 AB's he struck out on 7 pitches total. 3rd AB he got his kitchen cleaned and hit a weak popper.

Alot of his walks have come from the fact he is the best hitter on the team, but the fact his K's have dropped big time from last year is a good sign.

Him and everyone else. Moore threw a no hitter.

I'm excited for Goldschmidt. When is his due date? I could use a power 1B thanks to Butler deciding doubles are way cooler.

Him and everyone else. Moore threw a no hitter.

I'm excited for Goldschmidt. When is his due date? I could use a power 1B thanks to Butler deciding doubles are way cooler.

I would be semi surprised if he is not up by the end of this month. If you read the article recently where Kevin Towers was talking about him, if he the quotes he did everything but stroke his man shaft pretty much. They are obviously extremely high on his, and at this point he is probably the minor league player of the league. We'll see if his skills translate to the bigs, I see no reason why they shouldn't as long as he maintains good plate discipline.

Looks like he is in a minor (hopefully) funk over the past few games. Will be nice to see how quickly he rebounds.

Another HR tonight. 22 on the season now.

2 run bomb in the AA all star game today.

2 run bomb in the AA all star game today.

If I knew he was going to be up in July I'd snag him as insurance against Pujols. I own Pujols and there is NO ONE on my FA pool at 1st. I'm rolling Casey Crotchman. AA to majors is a big jump. I wish he was doing this against AAA pitching like Matt Moore or some of those Atlanta Farmhands.

If I knew he was going to be up in July I'd snag him as insurance against Pujols. I own Pujols and there is NO ONE on my FA pool at 1st. I'm rolling Casey Crotchman. AA to majors is a big jump. I wish he was doing this against AAA pitching like Matt Moore or some of those Atlanta Farmhands.

you can trust me that he will be up sooner rather than later

and now you also trust your heart to lipitor

AA and AAA pitching aren't that different. BTW...M.Moore is in AA. The big difference between AA & AAA pitching is MLB experience. Many AAA guys have played in the bigs, while AA guys are generally just prospects still.

Hitting as well as he is in the Southern League in AA is much more impressive than doing it in the PCL of AAA. Unless Miranda gets hot in the near future, I expect to see Goldschmidt in ARZ before the end of July. I don't think that makes him good insurance for Pujols though.

My moneys on Goldy to be recalled the game after the All star game. As they don't want him sitting around threw the break

0-4, with 3 Ks... let's hope we're not in for a correction like doubters have been waiting for.

Yes, I know it's one game -- but in the past 12 days, he's struck out in every game... 12Ks to 4 BBs... movin' in the wrong direction.

0-4, with 3 Ks... let's hope we're not in for a correction like doubters have been waiting for.

Yes, I know it's one game -- but in the past 12 days, he's struck out in every game... 12Ks to 4 BBs... movin' in the wrong direction.

Goldy responds with a 2 for 5, 1 HR, 4 RBI night to silence the doubters.

Goldy responds with a 2 for 5, 1 HR, 4 RBI night to silence the doubters.

And 2 Ks... just sayin.

Yes, no walks and 7 K's in his 3 games is continuing a trend that started about a month ago; his BB's are down and his K's are up. Would like to see that reverse. Its still just AA afterall...

Yes, no walks and 7 K's in his 3 games is continuing a trend that started about a month ago; his BB's are down and his K's are up. Would like to see that reverse. Its still just AA afterall...

0-4, with 3Ks again last night... I fear he's got it into his head he's a dominant HR hitter (or he's just regressed to his 2010 ways).

Sigh. Might be time to try and sell high....

0-4, with 3Ks again last night... I fear he's got it into his head he's a dominant HR hitter (or he's just regressed to his 2010 ways).

Sigh. Might be time to try and sell high....

That's awfully declarative prognostication based on a small sample size.

That's awfully declarative prognostication based on a small sample size.

See earlier posts... its not one game, its a trend of a few weeks, that is falling more in line with his entire year last year (and the reason people had their doubts about him). Nice SAT words though.