Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

FouLLine

Paul Goldschmidt 1B ARI

See earlier posts... its not one game, its a trend of a few weeks, that is falling more in line with his entire year last year (and the reason people had their doubts about him). Nice SAT words though.

Highlander has a point, though. A few weeks where he's slumping isn't indicative of the type of player he is or will be. On the season, his walk rate is 17.2% and his strikeout rate is 22.4%. Baseball is a marathon, not a sprint. I doubt those numbers will hold up. On the other hand, I doubt he goes back to 9.5% and 30.7% as well.

See earlier posts... its not one game, its a trend of a few weeks, that is falling more in line with his entire year last year (and the reason people had their doubts about him). Nice SAT words though.

I saw the earlier posts the first time around. And the sample size is still too small to label his career. Indeed, baseball is a marathon, not a sprint. I find it shocking how easily fans forget that. Expecting Goldschmidt to never slump at all would be unreasonable. Besides, if Goldschmidt had simply repeated his entire year last year, he'd still deserve to be a top prospect. Despite the SOs in 2010, he still had an OBP of .384 & an OPS. of .990. Returning to this season, Goldschmidt has already walked almost as many times this season as he did all of last season in just about half the at-bats (2010, 57 BBs in 525 ABs / 2011, 56 BBs in 266 ABs). I don't believe this progress should be ignored due to Goldschmidt being human the first time all season.

I saw the earlier posts the first time around. And the sample size is still too small to label his career. Indeed, baseball is a marathon, not a sprint. I find it shocking how easily fans forget that. Expecting Goldschmidt to never slump at all would be unreasonable. Besides, if Goldschmidt had simply repeated his entire year last year, he'd still deserve to be a top prospect. Despite the SOs in 2010, he still had an OBP of .384 & an OPS. of .990. Returning to this season, Goldschmidt has already walked almost as many times this season as he did all of last season in just about half the at-bats (2010, 57 BBs in 525 ABs / 2011, 56 BBs in 266 ABs). I don't believe this progress should be ignored due to Goldschmidt being human the first time all season.

Hey, I don't disagree with you there ... but many people (in the threads, and scouts/writers) genuinely believed that Goldy turned a corner this year -- and that his overly-free swinging ways were a thing of the past. To be fair, that doesn't happen often -- people usually don't go from a 3/1 K/BB ratio to a 1/1 ratio in the span of a single season... In fact, I don't know if I could name anyone who could. And while 35 HRs is nothing to sneeze at, there's a reason that Goldy did not crack the BaseballAmerica's top 100 ... that kind of plate discipline (in high A, no less) does not translate well at the bigs.

Goldy's year so far looked like a fantastic step in the right direction -- and even if he slows down a bit, he'll undoubtedly shoot up rankings lists ... but just as few weeks is a small sample size, two months is also not terribly large... so the question is, are the past few weeks merely a small slump, from which he will return to April-May form? Or is it the beginning of a statistical regression to his mean? No way to know either way at this point -- but just because it may be the former, doesn't mean we should dismiss the possibility that it may be the latter.

Hell -- I own the guy in my key keeper league -- so I'm hoping upon hope he's legit.

He's in a little mini slump right now. A 10 game slide right now.

1 for 2 with 2 BB an RBI double and his 7th steal just for $hits and giggles. Good to see the walks coming back.

Since I have never seen him play, my question is: Are alot of his walks this year because pitchers are pitching around him?

His walkrate has been below 1:1 for over a month now. Its not just a 10-game stretch. Which still isn't horrible or anything, just pointing it out. Was the 1:1 of earlier in the year more a factor of his hot start?

One thing the stats never tell us about, is his bat speed, pitch selection, ability to hit to all fields, etc. I had Jerry Sands as a prospect as well, and his lack of true bat speed is what did him in at the MLB level. So, does anyone have a legit scouting report on Goldy's tools?

Since I have never seen him play, my question is: Are alot of his walks this year because pitchers are pitching around him?

His walkrate has been below 1:1 for over a month now. Its not just a 10-game stretch. Which still isn't horrible or anything, just pointing it out. Was the 1:1 of earlier in the year more a factor of his hot start?

One thing the stats never tell us about, is his bat speed, pitch selection, ability to hit to all fields, etc. I had Jerry Sands as a prospect as well, and his lack of true bat speed is what did him in at the MLB level. So, does anyone have a legit scouting report on Goldy's tools?

I've never seen him play, nor can I speak much to his bat speed per se. From the scouting reports I have read, all seem to appreciate his power, but suggest doubts as to whether that power will not be worth the strikeouts at the MLB level... He has issues w/ the curve and high fastballs, and up until this hot start, he hasn't shown the patience to lay off. For what it's worth, I don't think pitchers pitching around him could account for the dramatic change in April/May, as compared to prior years... even if you bash the ball, if a pitcher knows you strike out 1/3 of the time, they're going to go after you...

I've never seen him play, nor can I speak much to his bat speed per se. From the scouting reports I have read, all seem to appreciate his power, but suggest doubts as to whether that power will not be worth the strikeouts at the MLB level... He has issues w/ the curve and high fastballs, and up until this hot start, he hasn't shown the patience to lay off. For what it's worth, I don't think pitchers pitching around him could account for the dramatic change in April/May, as compared to prior years... even if you bash the ball, if a pitcher knows you strike out 1/3 of the time, they're going to go after you...

If the batter after you is hitting under .250 with less than 5 homers i doubt you go after Goldschmidt. Last year he had 0 IBB(and also in 2009) This year he has 11, but from some of the games i have heard he has alot of the pitch around AB's as well.

If the batter after you is hitting under .250 with less than 5 homers i doubt you go after Goldschmidt. Last year he had 0 IBB(and also in 2009) This year he has 11, but from some of the games i have heard he has alot of the pitch around AB's as well.

Im still valuing him as one of the top 5 prospects that havent benn called up yet.. i need him to be called up soon in a DEEP prospect league.

Im still valuing him as one of the top 5 prospects that havent benn called up yet.. i need him to be called up soon in a DEEP prospect league.

Ahead of who?

Harper

Trout

Machado

Miller

Taillon

Moore

Montero

Perez

Profar

Maybe top 25, but noway top 5.

Ahead of who?

Harper

Trout

Machado

Miller

Taillon

Moore

Montero

Perez

Profar

Maybe top 25, but noway top 5.

I think you have to be looking at 2011 only to consider him top-5. Who else is likely to get called up this year who is worth more than a nickel? Not most of the guys above. Realistic top prospect callups:

Brett Jackson

Goldschmidt

J Montero

Mesoraco

Teheran

Cozart

Who else will make an impact this year? Sure, for 2013+, you would take Trout or Harper over any of those guys.

I think you have to be looking at 2011 only to consider him top-5. Who else is likely to get called up this year who is worth more than a nickel? Not most of the guys above. Realistic top prospect callups:

Brett Jackson

Goldschmidt

J Montero

Mesoraco

Teheran

Cozart

Who else will make an impact this year? Sure, for 2013+, you would take Trout or Harper over any of those guys.

Kipnis perhaps.

Peacock could be an immediate impact, if they bring him up in Sept (he's just been so dirty)

Brett Jackson

Goldschmidt

J Montero

Mesoraco

Teheran

Cozart

Montero only getting called up if he gets traded

2 for 4 1 HR, 2 RBI

24th jack of the season. 71 RBI's now. 59 BB to 63 K.

I think all that hog wash of selling based on a little slump was a bit premature.

Juan Miranda went 0-for-4 in the loss to the Indians on Wednesday.

That's four straight hitless games for Miranda. Xavier Nady isn't doing much of anything either, so we're wondering if the Diamondbacks might not make a switch at first base this weekend. Paul Goldschmidt and Brandon Allen are both candidates to take over.

Kevin Towers has already stated that he wants to see Goldschmidt up after the All-Star break. I have read that Allen would be included in any kind of trades before the deadline to help aid the D'backs in pulling away in 1st place in the NL West. Can't wait to see me some Goldy!!!

Juan Miranda went 0-for-4 in the loss to the Indians on Wednesday.

That's four straight hitless games for Miranda. Xavier Nady isn't doing much of anything either, so we're wondering if the Diamondbacks might not make a switch at first base this weekend. Paul Goldschmidt and Brandon Allen are both candidates to take over.

Kevin Towers has already stated that he wants to see Goldschmidt up after the All-Star break. I have read that Allen would be included in any kind of trades before the deadline to help aid the D'backs in pulling away in 1st place in the NL West. Can't wait to see me some Goldy!!!

Miranda is getting close to 0-40 over his last 40 home AB's. Goldy and Cowgill will be in the line up the day after the allstar break.

3 run HR #25. Goldy is like this isn't even a challenge anymore!

any more news on a post all star game call up?

Its got to be getting real close for him or Brandon Allen getting the callup. Its hard to pass up Brandon Allen's numbers and him being older but hes in the PCL and has failed in the past. One of them two are getting the call very soon

Its got to be getting real close for him or Brandon Allen getting the callup. Its hard to pass up Brandon Allen's numbers and him being older but hes in the PCL and has failed in the past. One of them two are getting the call very soon

Goldy up to #50 on Baseball America's mid-season updated prospect list... Thought he'd be higher, but for someone who wasn't in the top 100, it's certainly an improvement.

As Goldschmidt was whiffing in his second at bat Kevin Towers was in the booth talking about how manager Kirk Gibson is in his ear almost every day wanting Goldschmidt to get called up. He wasnt very clear about a time table obviously but did say it was likely he would be up by the end of the year. Most of us are hoping he gets a shot right after the break.

Double-A Mobile's Paul Goldschmidt smacked his 26th homer on Wednesday.

Back in June, Diamondbacks GM Kevin Towers suggested that Goldschmidt was a candidate for a call-up around this time. Carrying a .311/432/.629 batting line, the 23-year-old is certainly someone to keep in mind, especially with Arizona's disappointing production from first basemen this season.

Brandon Allen recalled today, no Goldy yet.

Brandon Allen recalled today, no Goldy yet.

unless allen struggles mightily or there is an injury, dont expect to see him until sept 1.

unless allen struggles mightily or there is an injury, dont expect to see him until sept 1.

I think its reasonable to expect it to be 1 Sep regardless, since AZ took so long to make this move. Allen can play bad for say, four to six weeks and we still probaly wouldn't see Goldy until then...