Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Patrick Bateman

2011 Summer Movie Thread

I've enjoyed some of the entertainment discussion in this forum. Seems a bit dead of late. Summer is always the Blockbuster season for movies where big budget popcorn movies come out almost every weekend. I would welcome opinions and to hear about these movies throughout the summer.

Help the community out with a review of a movie you've seen this summer. Or simply tell and link us a movie that your excited to see during this summer.

Fast Five and Thor have already opened and to surprisingly strong reviews. The Fast & Furious franchise seems to be getting stronger and with adding The Rock and with huge grosses a 6th movie seems inevitable.

I haven't seen Thor, but I will. I was a bit nervous about this one. Thor has always been a bit of the lamer comic book superheroes IMO. But when Kenneth Branagh signed on to direct, I first became confused and then a bit excited. Add in Natalie Portman and Anthony Hopkins and I thought it had a chance. Anyone seen it? I hear it's a great popcorn flick, but having a god as a superhero is difficult in today's climate.

Okay, so here's a Superhero that I loved growing up, but I will admit I'm terrified that they'll F this up -- The Green Lantern (not to be confused with Seth Rogan). Ryan Reynolds is cool, I got nothing against him and he's funny. Blake Lively is hot and showed she's more than just a pretty face in "The Town". Is that Angela Bassett? Tim Robbins?

Still, it's a hard story to tell with all the aliens and I have to admit that the initial trailer made it look pretty bad. The 2nd trailer looked better but still I have reservations, but I still think it has the chance to be Epically bad, which would be a shame. The latest trailer looks actually very good (if you like comic book fare), but still I tremble.

Anyone else looking forward to this movie? Any other movies your looking forward to???

http://movies.yahoo.com/feature/green-lant...ideo=1#belowNav

Fast Five was FUN! Obviously the story line is very generic but if you enjoyed the other installments...you'll really like this one.

Will catch Thor some time this week...

Honestly, 2011 is going to be a GREAT year for the box office. Here are the ones i'm looking forward to most...

Hangover 2 - A little skeptical but the 1st one was hilarious...

Super 8 - JJ Abrams

Captain America

Cowboys & Aliens

MI: Ghost Protocol

X-men First Class

Contagion

POTC

Fast Five was FUN! Obviously the story line is very generic but if you enjoyed the other installments...you'll really like this one.

Will catch Thor some time this week...

Honestly, 2011 is going to be a GREAT year for the box office. Here are the ones i'm looking forward to most...

Hangover 2 - A little skeptical but the 1st one was hilarious...

Super 8 - JJ Abrams

Captain America

Cowboys & Aliens

X-men First Class

Contagion

POTC

Fast Five was a hell of a time. Loved it and it had a lot of unintentional comedy that made for a great time.

I've heard Thor was nothing short of miserable, so I'd avoid that.

VERY skeptical on Hangover 2. Will it be funny? Sure will. But come on. It's the SAME THING!

Super 8 - JJ Abrams

Captain America

Cowboys & Aliens

These should all be sick movies. Can't wait.

Fast Five was a hell of a time. Loved it and it had a lot of unintentional comedy that made for a great time.

I've heard Thor was nothing short of miserable, so I'd avoid that.

VERY skeptical on Hangover 2. Will it be funny? Sure will. But come on. It's the SAME THING!

Super 8 - JJ Abrams

Captain America

Cowboys & Aliens

These should all be sick movies. Can't wait.

Super 8 -- Very intrigued. Abrams seems at the top of his creative game right now so I definitely am in. Hope the payoff is worth it.

Captain America -- Uh....Joe Johnston?? Yikes. I'll be cautiously optimistic, but like GL, I fear the worst. The CGI with Chris Evans as the pipsqueak looks a bit ridiculous....

Cowboys & Aliens -- Big fan of Favreau. Harrison Ford is a bada$$ but hasn't been in anything good in close to a decade. Daniel Craig is very cool. I have high hopes based on Favreau but it may be too ridiculous.

X-Men: First Class -- Didn't like this idea at first, but after seeing the previews, I'm in unless it gets demolished by the critics. Love the 60's Cuban Missile Crisis origin story, big fan of X-men and good cast.

Harry Potter 7 or 8? -- I'll admit it. I'm looking forward to this. I'll take the heat. A bit of fantasy never hurt anyone. While the last one was slow, full of set up and exposition. This one should be all action. Couldn't they have found a hot girl for HP?

First off I have to say, what the HELL is Super 8 about? Everytime I see the trailer, I get frustrated, haha.

Second, I saw Thor the other day, and I thought it was pretty good. I hate 3D, so don't see it in 3D, but I thought it had a good combination of Comedy and Action. Besides, it is just a bridge to The Avengers. It was also a good time to bring in Hawkeye.

I can't wait for Hangover 2 - like you guys, I'm skeptical, and I am hoping for different jokes. The trailers have been fine in my opinion.

Transformers is another one I can't wait for. I think the new chick is ugly as all hell, but hey, what can you do?

I am skeptical of X-Men as well, but that is just my opinion on those types of movies that go back in time.

I highly recommend Bridesmaids...funny as hell

First off I have to say, what the HELL is Super 8 about? Everytime I see the trailer, I get frustrated, haha.

I'm more skeptical about this movie than any of the others mentioned. Remember Cloverfield? So stupid.

I always knew you were a big softy...... B) It does look funny. Secretly hoping the woman makes me go.....

I always knew you were a big softy...... B) It does look funny. Secretly hoping the woman makes me go.....

The woman made me go, and gotta say, neither of us found it too amusing. It had some funny parts, and the large chick of the group was hilarious, but overall very eh.

I'm more skeptical about this movie than any of the others mentioned. Remember Cloverfield? So stupid.

Definitely agree with you to an extent, it's been getting pimped like crazy and I still don't really know what it's about.

Why am I a believer though? JJ Abrams. The man is brilliant. LOST is a top 3 show of all time for me and Star Trek absolutely killed it. One of the more enjoyable movies I've ever watched. Fringe and Alias are two rather big shows too, so the man can work wonders.

The other reason I'm excited? COACH!

CLEAR EYES, FULL HEARTS, CAN'T LOSE

The title refers to their Super 8 camera, so obviously they see something they shouldn't while using it. To me it kind of seems like a J.J. Abrams version of Close Encounters of the 3rd Kind.

you know it!

Saw Thor over the weekend and overall...I enjoyed it. The first 20 minutes of the movie rock but it slows down quite a bit. Some cheesey scenes but still entertaining. Just wish there were more action/battle scenes between Thor, his friends and the Frost Giants.

With the way the movie ended, seems like it opens the door for a Thor sequel.

With the way the sequels have owned Hollywood over the past decade, seems like it opens the door for a Thor sequel.

Fixed.

goin for a triple movie bash today.... thor/fast5/pirates. might be too much for one day.... well see.

you know it!

Saw Thor over the weekend and overall...I enjoyed it. The first 20 minutes of the movie rock but it slows down quite a bit. Some cheesey scenes but still entertaining. Just wish there were more action/battle scenes between Thor, his friends and the Frost Giants.

With the way the movie ended, seems like it opens the door for a Thor sequel.

Does this movie need to be seen in 3-D? I've heard it's better in 2-D.......Also it sets up for The Avengers movie I've heard where all the boys are getting together, however b/c of it's international success, I could see it getting a sequel as well.

Does this movie need to be seen in 3-D? I've heard it's better in 2-D.......Also it sets up for The Avengers movie I've heard where all the boys are getting together, however b/c of it's international success, I could see it getting a sequel as well.

Definitely not, I saw it in 2D. I'm personally not a fan of the technology and it gives me a headache so take it FWIW.

Movie tickets are expensive as it is...save the money!

i have not seen the movie yet, but kristen wiig and maya rudolph are clutch when it comes to comedy. especially rudolph, who was overlooked on SNL

Definitely not, I saw it in 2D. I'm personally not a fan of the technology and it gives me a headache so take it FWIW.

Movie tickets are expensive as it is...save the money!

if you look on slickdeals, they currently have an offer for cheap movie tickets. i believe its 4 tickets for $25

Hangover II was funny as hell, but SUPER reckless with some of the scenes. I think I yelled, "Dear god" or "wtf?!?!" 3 or 4 times during the movie. The blueprint was the exact same from the first Hangover, which was slightly disappointing, but w/e. Good movie.

Hangover II was funny as hell, but SUPER reckless with some of the scenes. I think I yelled, "Dear god" or "wtf?!?!" 3 or 4 times during the movie. The blueprint was the exact same from the first Hangover, which was slightly disappointing, but w/e. Good movie.

would you rate this movie better than the first hangover?

on a side note, ive just seen bridesmaids and it was brilliant. some scenes dragged on, but it's definitely worth a look

would you rate this movie better than the first hangover?

on a side note, ive just seen bridesmaids and it was brilliant. some scenes dragged on, but it's definitely worth a look

This one relied much more on shock value than the first; plus, it gave an all-too-familiar feel. Still, it was worth the money.

Stu: I've got a demon inside me!

Allen: Yes, he has semen in him.

B)

Saw X-men over the weekend and I must say...great movie.

Both James McAvoy (Charles Xavier) and Michael Fassbender (Magneto) were excellent.

Good story and great special effects.

P.S. - January Jones is HOT

Both James McAvoy (Charles Xavier) and Michael Fassbender (Magneto) were excellent.

was between Xmen and the new Pirates movie the other night....

Ended up seeing Pirates, and it did not live up to the other movies at all. I dont recommend paying to see it in the theater.

Just a phenomenal movie. Loved it all. Great ending too. Love how they explained things.

I might put it behind Dark Knight in 2nd.