Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

7331T

The Rules are Simple!

- If you want to participate, just reply to this thread with the player you think should be ranked next on the draft list

- Rank the nba players based on a Single-Season, Traditional 9-catagory Fantasy League (either H2H or Roto)

- Each player needs 5 votes to be ranked (1-36), 4 votes to be ranked (37-84), and 3 votes to be ranked (84+)

- If you are the final deciding voter for a particular player, it's your duty to start the next thread, name it "#2" or "#18" or whichever # the NEXT pick is. in the body of the thread, copy/paste these directions along with an updated rankings list!

- You can vote ON BEHALF of others! Just cite a previous thread where any member voted for a player, and you can carry over thier vote to make the process faster! (please be specific when doing this). This also means you should be careful who you vote for, any of your votes can be quoted and used against you later!

1. Marion

2. KB24

3. KG

4. LBJ

5. Arenas

6. Dirk

7. Nash

8. Amare

9. ----

Vote's to The Great Wall, taking him one pick later due to health concerns, only. Duncan, I can't see being taken here despite being the Big Fundamental. DWade can also be argued to fall here, and also the Spaniard Gasol too if you want production from the PF/C position.

Yao-1

Votes from the previous thread:

markdash - Tim Duncan

cesquinho - Yao Ming

nickyd82 - Tim Duncan

rando - Jason Kidd

acton00 - Jason Kidd

Which brings us to a 3 way tie.

Current Standings as of 8/24/07 12:55 pm PDT:

Yao Ming - 5

Tim Duncan - 3

Jason Kidd - 2

Allen Iverson - 1

Pau Gasol - 1

Dwyane Wade - 1

Paul Pierce - 1

Who has voted?

7331T, markdash, SwisherHouse, MustacheToes, cesquinho, nickyd82, rando, acton00, teamshameless, duluoz13, KG4MVP, RedSoxFanForLife, rotoking07, blackery3000

Thanks, Mark, for that...

Too bad it just got back to even, huh?

Thanks, Mark, for that...

Too bad it just got back to even, huh?

Hey, this is the fun part!

AI, he seems to be one of the few guys left who you know will get his points and be amongst the league leaders while playing most games (even though he still is always risky there).

Duncan felt like a good choice until I looked at his numbers. Steadily declining rebounds and a horrid ft%, worse than I thought. Plus he's geting older, playing a little less, just doesn't feel right to me. I don't trust Yao below the knees, and while I'm tempted to take Kidd (or even Paul) here since I'm a fan of locking up a top tier pg, it's prob a little early.

Confusing spot to pick, but I'm going with Gasol. Same if not better #'s than Duncan in each of their respective strength cats, only Gasol has a much better ft% (still not great, but Duncan is a killer) and is a lot younger and is still improving in his #'s. As opposed to Duncan who is steadily declining. As strange as this feels, I'm going with Gasol at #9, though I'd switch to Kidd to break a tie if necessary.

Gasol

Looks like the confusion has already started. Its not like last year when some players were considered a "sure" thing.

Yeah, it's going to be really interesting. Several guys who we would otherwise be considering here (Ray Allen, Brand, Wade, Pierce) have either been injured, gotten surgery, or had their situations change dramatically. After last year, it also seems like about half the players in the NBA have a recent injury history B)

I believe last year was just a fluke year for many players.

One, many had down years and did poorly compared to expectations, I.E. Brand, LBJ, CP3

Two, That many injuries in a year cannot just repeat, it was so unbelievably unbelievable if I can say that.

I agree with others. I am not looking forward to some of these picks. That said, I do think this draft could end up pretty deep comparatively.

Yao - 3

Man, I hope Wade's prognosis starts to look better in a month or so. It seems like a crime to let him drop, but I don't see what choice you have.

Probably pick Pau next, which couldn't be a less exciting top 10 pick. Blech

Thanks mark for fastforwarding the votes from last round.

Not much to add to what you already said, guys. Gasol doesn't have C-eligibility in my league, which will cost him a few spots come draft day, so i'd rather draft Kidd over him. Of course, i stick to Yao by now.

Grabbing a top C or a top PG early makes your day way more easy (especially if you draft them both), and although i always draft for value, not position, it can be used to break some ties.

Take a look at the players we are considering at this point:

3 Centers (Ming, Duncan, Gasol, after we choose another one in Amare)

2 PGs (Kidd and Iverson, and i've heard of Paul, too. I know AI is not a pure PG, but is eligible in my league)

Plus Wade, who would not be available if he wasn't injured right now.

PGs and Cs, bread and butter of the fantasy basketball.

With my first overall pick I want to take as little chance with injury as possible. So Yao, Paul, Gasol and Iverson are immediately out. Yao has played 57 and 48 games the last two years. Paul missed 18 last year with an ankle sprain I think, plus he injured his thumb at some point. I just constantly think he's a sprained ankle away from 60 games played. Gasol missed plenty of last year with the broken foot and hasn't exactly been a model of health. And we all know Iverson's medical history. Duncan has missed a number of games over his career but has played 80 each of the last two years.

So that leaves Kidd, and personally I like Duncan over Kidd. He only hurts you in FT% (Plus my league is free throws made) whereas Kidd hurts you in points, blocks and that atrocious FG%.

That's just my two cents.

It's almost like he has some sort of regional bias. B)

Pierce

Paul Pierce?!

I don't think he's ever been a first round pick, let alone now when they're 2 other superstars who averaged 20+ shots in their careers. Also, he was a second-third round pick last year when he was the lone option, coming off a career best year where he shot beyond what his critics said he could.

I think a good 10 pick would be Gasol, or even Chris Bosh.

I think KG will only make him more dangerous.

Any danger added by KG will be negated by Mr. Shuttlesworth. I just can't see Pierce putting up top 10 numbers this year.

Kidd is not a first rounder IMO. An abysmal shooter (career .402) whose numbers have nowhere to go but down should, and probably will be available in the 2nd round in most drafts. I think Kidd will make his owners happy this season, but he simply doesn't score enough/efficiently to warrant first round consideration.

I'll go with Yao here. Truly a beast when healthy. If his wheels hold up he's a lock to post top 10 numbers this year...

Kidd is not a first rounder IMO. An abysmal shooter (career .402) whose numbers have nowhere to go but down should, and probably will be available in the 2nd round in most drafts. I think Kidd will make his owners happy this season, but he simply doesn't score enough/efficiently to warrant first round consideration.

I'll go with Yao here. Truly a beast when healthy. If his wheels hold up he's a lock to post top 10 numbers this year...

I hate to beat a dead horse here but with the 9th overall pick I can't accept phrases like "when healthy" and "If his wheels hold up." Is anyone that confident in their drafting skills that they can withstand a large chunk of games missed from their 1st round pick? Because I'm confident Yao is going to miss at least 15 games. That's a big frame for those legs to carry 35 minutes a night. As his minutes increased the last two years his games played have declined.

Don't get me wrong, I'd still take Yao very early in any draft but there are a set of players that I'd take before him.

What's the official tally by the way?

Current Standings as of 8/23/07 2:44 pm PDT:

Yao Ming - 3

Tim Duncan - 3

Jason Kidd - 2

Allen Iverson - 1

Pau Gasol - 1

Dwyane Wade - 1

Paul Pierce - 1

NickyD, I don't think anyone likes the injury status of Yao or Amare, but saying that you are going to take Jason Kidd or Tim Duncan because he is healthy makes no sense.

Those guys are old. They have a long history of injuries and are entering the period in their career when they are going to start breaking down.

To me, the only player on the board that is somewhat draftable at this point without Major injury concerns is Pau Yes, he spent much of last season injured, but he came back very strong and appears to be quite healthy. A injury does not make you injury prone. A series of injuries makes you injury prone. Yes, Yao fits into that category, but so does everyone on the board right now. I'll probably pick Pau higher than I like because he is healthy, but his numbers are way too pedestrian for the first round IMO. That said, there is a fair chance I'll pick him in the next 3 picks, not because I want to, but because no one else is any better.

No not even Paul Pierce B)

There's got to be more for Yao, i think it was 3 votes like 3 votes ago, right?

Ah, never mind.