Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

7331T

NickyD, I don't think anyone likes the injury status of Yao or Amare, but saying that you are going to take Jason Kidd or Tim Duncan because he is healthy makes no sense.

Those guys are old. They have a long history of injuries and are entering the period in their career when they are going to start breaking down.

To me, the only player on the board that is somewhat draftable at this point without Major injury concerns is Pau Yes, he spent much of last season injured, but he came back very strong and appears to be quite healthy. A injury does not make you injury prone. A series of injuries makes you injury prone. Yes, Yao fits into that category, but so does everyone on the board right now. I'll probably pick Pau higher than I like because he is healthy, but his numbers are way too pedestrian for the first round IMO. That said, there is a fair chance I'll pick him in the next 3 picks, not because I want to, but because no one else is any better.

No not even Paul Pierce B)

How does leaning toward a player with a better health history make no sense? That makes plenty of sense. Why isn't anyone drafting Wade right now? Because he is injured. Two seperate leg injuries in the last two years makes Yao injury prone for this year. 80 games each of the last two years makes Duncan healthy. But the biggest factor are still the numbers. I like Duncan's numbers more, then throw in health and you have my pick. We're not talking about the best players in the NBA, we're talking about draft order, and what is a huge part of winning fantasy basketball? Staying on the court.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe Yao had toe surgery two years ago and a freak broken leg the next. Let's look at the nature of these injuries: broken legs aren't likely to be the kind of nagging or recurring injuries that would lead one to miss 15 games (the opposite actually), and it looks like his toe surgery is well behind him now. Missing time with an injury doesn't automatically make you injury prone, although I agree Yao will be a dicey pick this year. The payoff could be huge, though.

Does Yao playing 82 games his first two seasons do anything for ya nicky?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe Yao had toe surgery two years ago and a freak broken leg the next. Let's look at the nature of these injuries: broken legs aren't likely to be the kind of nagging or recurring injuries that would lead one to miss 15 games (the opposite actually), and it looks like his toe surgery is well behind him now. Missing time with an injury doesn't automatically make you injury prone, although I agree Yao will be a dicey pick this year. The payoff could be huge, though.

Does Yao playing 82 games his first two seasons do anything for ya nicky?

Not that much for two reasons. It was 4 years ago and his minutes were increased in the last two seasons when he missed his games. All I've been saying all along is that given comparable numbers, which Yao and Duncan have, and with my first round pick, the cornerstone of my team, I want the guy I think has a better chance of staying on the court.

Forget what you think injury prone is and remove the names. Call them Player A and Player B. Look at the last two seasons. Player A played 57 and 48 games. Player B played 80 and 80. Does that not raise red flags? If they have very similar numbers and player B even has dual eligibility, do you not feel better about Player B?

Due to the small number of people currently active on the basketball board and the large number of players getting votes this round (which will only get worse as time goes on), I think we may need to have a "runoff" system. I propose it as such:

After a day or two, if the vote is not resolved, the player(s) getting the fewest amount of votes has their vote re-cast for a player with more votes. If this does not give a player enough votes to end the round, then the player(s) with the next fewest votes has their vote re-cast. Etc Etc until someone gets the necessary number of votes.

In this case, the people who voted for Iverson, Wade, Gasol, and Pierce would have to choose between Duncan, Yao, and Kidd.

Haven't been around the computer the last day or so. Moving and company in town. My vote is for Yao. Not an exciting first round pick. These polls actually may be making me a little less excited about the basketball season. I'm sure that will change soon though (like once football drafts are through). Anyways, that's four for Yao if markdash's count is right. One more vote and were on to #10.

I may be wrong, but i couted 5 votes for Yao:

7331T

Cesquinho

Teamshameless

blackery3000

rotoking07

I may miss something, but if someone could double check so i'm not wrong, we could move to #10.

I may be wrong, but i couted 5 votes for Yao:

7331T

Cesquinho

Teamshameless

blackery3000

rotoking07

I may miss something, but if someone could double check so i'm not wrong, we could move to #10.

You're right, I somehow missed Blackery's vote. I will start the next thread.