Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

champion88

Fantasy Baseball Books

hey everyone,

I have been planning to write a fantasy baseball book for publication, but was curious what the average sales numbers are for each book? Like the total sales of Baseball Prospectus 2010? Ron Shandler's Forecaster 2010? Bill James Goldmine 2010?

I tried doing a search on my own, but came up with little, outside of Amazon's sales rankings, which do not help me very much, since I do not know how many sales correspond to 10,000th place.

The reason I want to know is so I can find out how much money I can spend on designing, publishing, and marketing my book and still end up with profit at the end or at least a break-even point for my 1st year.

The money I earn comes from a royalty from each copy of the book I sell, so that is why knowing the average sales number would be very helpful for me to know.

I also wanted to print my book in full-color to help it stand out from the crowd, but I assume that color printing is more expensive than black/white printing.

Would you (the reader) be willing to spend an extra $10-$20 to have the book you purchase be printed in full color?

Thanks for your help!

Note to Mods: This post is my first ever on the RotoWorld forums, so I am unsure if this sub-forum is the correct place to post this type of question.

I read the "Guidelines" thread and thought that the main forum was closer to my type of question, since it concerns Fantasy Baseball books and is not just a normal MLB question.

If the thread must be moved, can you let me know via PM where you move it to?

Thanks!

Personally I would never buy a book these days because by the time it gets to me all the information inside of it is completely obsolete -- unless you're talking about a general strategy book that doesn't deal with player projection, etc.

I think your best bet is a blog or a web site.

Personally I would never buy a book these days because by the time it gets to me all the information inside of it is completely obsolete -- unless you're talking about a general strategy book that doesn't deal with player projection, etc.

I think your best bet is a blog or a web site.

Well I wanted to start with a book since it is easier to find people to design and produce your book than it is to find a programmer to code your website and I know nothing about programming.

Eventually, I would like to branch out to include a companion website and blog though.

For you personally though, would you rather pay $20 for a black/white book or $30 for a full color book?

If I only produced the full color book for $30, would you buy it?

Look into Wordpress man, you don't have to know anything about programming or HTML to set that up and use it effectively.

It is DEFINITELY cheaper to set up a wordpress blog than it is to publish a book.

We're talking $10 a year for domain registration and $5 a month for web site hosting, so that's definitely the way to go.

Look into Wordpress man, you don't have to know anything about programming or HTML to set that up and use it effectively.

It is DEFINITELY cheaper to set up a wordpress blog than it is to publish a book.

We're talking $10 a year for domain registration and $5 a month for web site hosting, so that's definitely the way to go.

That lets you setup a paywall site?

I obviously won't make any money if the blog/website is free.

couple things...

The reason you won't be able to find those sales numbers is because the publishers keep them private because they don't want people knowing how much money they make.

As for the you won't make any money if the info is free thats not completly true. You can still have ads on your website. I start with a free part and then maybe more in depth data for a price. Similar to the rotoworld model.

couple things...

The reason you won't be able to find those sales numbers is because the publishers keep them private because they don't want people knowing how much money they make.

As for the you won't make any money if the info is free thats not completly true. You can still have ads on your website. I start with a free part and then maybe more in depth data for a price. Similar to the rotoworld model.

That is strange. I wonder why publishers would not want to brag about how successful their books are?

As for the ads, is anyone really going to want to advertise with a start-up website?

It sounds like it would be hard to start out that way.

How much money per month does an average advertisement earn a website*?

That is strange. I wonder why publishers would not want to brag about how successful their books are?

As for the ads, is anyone really going to want to advertise with a start-up website?

It sounds like it would be hard to start out that way.

How much money per month does an average advertisement earn a website*?

LOL man...

Ever heard of Google?

You need to do some serious research before you begin with this.

LOL man...

Ever heard of Google?

You need to do some serious research before you begin with this.

Google seems to be doing pretty well for itself.

Why would they bother with a start-up blog?

And can you direct me to some good places to research getting advertising?, since I know nothing about that whole process.

Just to update everyone on the progress here, it looks like I cannot set up a website after all.

I contacted Baseball Info Solutions to get some information generated for me for the book and they replied saying that the licensing fee is many times higher to have the info sold to me for a website than it would be for a book.

I still plan on pushing ahead with the project in book form though, so if anyone can help point me to some average sales numbers for these types of books???, that would be extremely helpful.

Also, would you prefer buying a black/white book for $20 or a color book for $25-$35?

Thanks for your help!